Cards Are Like Best friends

Jack

Just wanted to share this.

I've found that when I'm in the most melancholy mood, the sort of depression that just hits you and even the nicest of thoughts are no help, it seems like nothing at all can console you, but if I turn to the cards and go and do my daily reading or throw a few cards for some guidance then they always cheer me up!

(sorry for the long sentence and bad grammar)

But yes I'm just so happy to have found Tarot and I think it's just amazing that in the past when I've been in these moods there's nothing that helped me but now I go to the cards and they instantly change my mood, uplift me and also sometimes give me a kick up the arse and make me smile and feel better about any situation.

I suppose this is a good reason to want to read for others because if it has that transforming effect for oneself then you can really see how it would help others.

Just wanted to share.............

Le Fanu

I think you express a very beautiful sentiment very well.

There is that sense with tarot, that we have a best friend at hand giving advice. And a best friend which is lovely to look at and never gives the same message twice.

I find that when I leave the house with a favourite deck in a favourite bag in my holdall, I feel so much stronger, so much more powerful and prepared.

Invariably I'm too busy to look at it (I always think I'll take one for if I get any spare moments to go through the deck, but I never do.)

I love how a favourite deck allows me to retreat deep into myself, my own inner world with its symbols and meanings, and there it is, all in the palm of my hand.

I also think they give an objectivity to a situation which, when we feel mired in ****, can be very uplifting. There is the sense that we can lay the cards out tomorrow and the message will be different, that life moves on, that things change, darkness passes. This is such an important perspective to have. And tarot gives it to us.

pianosmile

Whenever I'm having a terrible day, and I don't know what to do, I just go to my lovely tarot deck.
In fact, tarot cards are in some ways more genuine than best friends, because not only are they ALWAYS there for you, but they tell you the truth,and what you need to know.
Tarot is quite therapeutic, also. It's very calming, and I love it :)

Libra8ca

JoelDee said:
I've found that when I'm in the most melancholy mood, the sort of depression that just hits you and even the nicest of thoughts are no help, it seems like nothing at all can console you, but if I turn to the cards and go and do my daily reading or throw a few cards for some guidance then they always cheer me up!

I totally agree and I think that is what got me hooked on tarot. And you can ask the tarot any question - questions that other people might find silly, annoying or stupid but the tarot will always answer faithfully!

Glass Owl

I have referred to my decks as friends before on AT and it remains true. I feel comfortable shuffling, sharing and bouncing ideas off of them. They are always there for me and they offer me guidance, inspiration, and comfort, especially during times of difficulty. Just shuffling them and marveling in their beauty is a great stress reducer and helps me to unwind. In a nutshell, they teach me how to best friends with myself and to look at various possibilities.

Medvsa

True, true, could not be more true :)

I think its no mistake that so many people seem to say "I found Tarot when I was going through a particularly bad patch" or something similar. It can be a companion when its too damn complicated to ask someone else's advice, its a picture-book to entertain you when you need distraction, and its a comfort when you need something familiar to make you feel better. It makes you see yourself in a way you might have conveniently ignored otherwise. My decks are definitely my friends :heart:

Pam O

I too totally agree. And the different personalities of the different decks is fabulous. Maybe that is just one reason why so many of us get so addicted to adding more decks into our world. It's very fun to ponder which deck(s) to take along for the travels of the day, or which to cozy up with when at home. My computer is in the same room as I store my decks. They are calling for attention now. Time to go see which one wants to hang out for a while. :)
We just love our tarot here at Aeclectic!

teomat

I agree too. My decks have been a wonderful distraction when I've been going through problems - not necessarily for reading, but just for the comfort I've got from just shuffling or playing with them.

DaughterOfDanu

Very true!
I've noticed that I love just looking through each card and its very soothing to me. Tarot is a best friend, too in the way that it does tell you things as they are and while it doesn't sugarcoat, to me it never comes off as too harsh or too rudely blunt.

Jack

Thanks for all your thoughts people!, it's really nice to read everyone's take on this.