PDA

View Full Version : What is a gentler stone than Black Tourmaline?

Labhraín
19-04-2011, 04:51
I have read here that Black Tourmaline is a very powerful stone, and may not be suitable for sensitive people. What stone works the same way as Black Tourmaline, but in a gentler fashion?

PathWalker
19-04-2011, 05:05
I'd say it does depend on what you're needing - Black Tourmaline having various qualities?

But possible the blue or green varients, or smoky quartz?

Let folks know what you're hoping to acheive and I'm sure there'll be other suggestions.
Blessings
PW

Labhraín
19-04-2011, 05:38
Hi PathWalker,

I was looking at Black Tourmaline for a number of things: electromagnetic smog (computers, cell phone, etc.) quieting the mind before bed (my mind just doesn't want to shut off at night, like a computer always running) bad dreams, etc., but also this relates to a thread I had posted a while back, about stones used to strengthen and protect from negativity, both inside and out, but also for shielding from energy. At that time, I was looking for stones to use when at work (I work with the public) I think I must be sensitive to the energy of other people, because sometimes, before they even have said a word to me, it feels sort of like a "dissonant piano chord." Make any sense? Since then, I have read a lot here about stones to use for strength, protection and confidence: some have said black or dark colored stones, others have mentioned Citrine, and still other stones. I have seen mention that Black Tourmaline is a strong stone, and some people just need a gentler stone that does the same thing. I am a little wary of Black Tourmaline as a result, and am looking at other stones that not only help with this but might have other helpful qualities as well. As a thin-skinned person, Black Tourmaline looks like a great stone to have, I'm just thinking now, after reading all this stuff, maybe it's too strong and heavy.

cardlady22
19-04-2011, 05:52
Have you looked at tourmalinated quartz and/or snowflake obsidian? Perhaps as a pair?

Labhraín
19-04-2011, 05:55
No, I haven't looked at those at all, actually. Maybe I'll have a look. I do already have a smokey quartz point that I have next to my computer at home, and it is a nice piece. I like that it's a dark colored stone that has a strong aura to it, but also that it allows light through. Kind of has a "gentle giant" feel to it. I also don't want anything that has too much of a grounding effect.

Chronata
19-04-2011, 06:17
Green and watermelon tourmaline both have similar qualities to the black.
Combine green with smokey quartz for a gentler filter.

Topaz71
19-04-2011, 06:22
Hi PathWalker,

I was looking at Black Tourmaline for a number of things: electromagnetic smog (computers, cell phone, etc.) quieting the mind before bed (my mind just doesn't want to shut off at night, like a computer always running) bad dreams, etc., but also this relates to a thread I had posted a while back, about stones used to strengthen and protect from negativity, both inside and out, but also for shielding from energy. At that time, I was looking for stones to use when at work (I work with the public) I think I must be sensitive to the energy of other people, because sometimes, before they even have said a word to me, it feels sort of like a "dissonant piano chord." Make any sense? Since then, I have read a lot here about stones to use for strength, protection and confidence: some have said black or dark colored stones, others have mentioned Citrine, and still other stones. I have seen mention that Black Tourmaline is a strong stone, and some people just need a gentler stone that does the same thing. I am a little wary of Black Tourmaline as a result, and am looking at other stones that not only help with this but might have other helpful qualities as well. As a thin-skinned person, Black Tourmaline looks like a great stone to have, I'm just thinking now, after reading all this stuff, maybe it's too strong and heavy.

I have the same issue and I work with people in psychiatric crises. There have been several times where I would talk to someone and after a few minutes would feel drained- foggy, lethargic, and even on the verge of tears. I wet for Reiki certification specifically for this issue (and it has helped so much except for the fact it has made sensitive to ghosts). I've used black tourmaline, rutile quartz, jet, tiger eye, and Apache tears to keep me grounded and protected.

Labhraín
19-04-2011, 06:28
Interesting list. I did forget that you can balance out a stone's energies with another stone. So Black Tourmaline could be a good stone for me, I would just pair it with a balancing stone. I was just looking online and found a tourmaline beaded bracelet with all the tourmaline colors. Weird, huh? Just browsing and I stumbled across it. Hmm, maybe it's meant to be, time to go shopping....:)

Labhraín
21-04-2011, 11:01
In talking about dark colored stones, another thought popped into my head -would you also take into account your vedic dosha? For me, I am a Vata dosha, and they say dark stones are not good for Vatas, though they can be used in moderation and may be a stabilizing influence. Maybe the green tourmaline is a good choice, as it is a protective tourmaline but is also not dark. How do you balance that? Dark stones are protective, but they can be too heavy for some sensitive types. Finding a happy medium takes some research I guess.

Fostha
22-04-2011, 08:39
Hi PathWalker,

Have you tried a piece of black obsidian yet?

Labhraín
22-04-2011, 09:38
No, I haven't, but I do actually have a small tumbled stone in my collection. What are your thoughts on that stone? I was kind of leaning towards smokey quartz. I like that even though it is dark it still allows light. I'm still doing research though to find the right stone.

brightcrazystar
22-04-2011, 13:13
The key to Black Tourmaline's specific difference from other forms of tourmaline is the greater presence of Boron. That is what makes it SO distinct, even though all Tourmaline has Boron in it. Boracite would be a good alternative and far more gentle, due to the magnesium and chlorine in it, but with it being a magnesium silicate, it is soluable in by water. Magnesium Chloride is natures perfect antiseptic. This is therefore perhaps better for cleansing where it can be used. Thus not much jewelry is made out of it because moisture will dull event the shiniest stone, even though it is as hard as quartz and quite pretty when polished or dull. Boracite runs about 2 dollars to 3.50 a carat for cut. As it can be found with Nickel Iron in it, it can be weakly ferromagnetic.

Boron Nitrate is apparently quite nice too, and when gemmed it not water soluable and can be actually mistaken for diamond. This is even more expensive.

Dancing Bear
22-04-2011, 21:22
I am sensative and Black Tormaline seems to be not too heavy for me anyway!
If you can get hold of a piece, just hold it for a minute and then make your decision.
I am with Topaz71 on the Apache tear. I just love it. Very absorbent
Smoky quartz is good But doesnt filter all you have listed..It would definately have to be paired with something.
Onyx is good!
Jet is Good!
Tormaline is a Nice stone to wear!!
What about Malachite? Its Dark green, Great for negative stuff, Great for grounding, and a piece of Clear Quartz on your bedside locker to clear the mind before sleep.
I like the idea of the bracelet you found. :)
Let us know what you decide ;)

Labhraín
22-04-2011, 23:05
Hi Dancing Bear,

Excellent information! Thank you so much! I'm going to check out all of your suggestions and let you know what I decide. Which stones would pair well with smokey quartz? Another suggestion was to put it with green tourmaline. I wonder if malachite/smokey quartz would go well. Maybe any green stone...

Malachite seems like a good stone for the work environment and I do have both a piece of malachite to keep in my purse and a nice clear quartz crystal to sit on my nightstand.

Wonderful ideas and suggestions, everyone. Thank you. :)

NorthernTigress
23-04-2011, 03:58
The "Medicine Bag" That I wear around my neck has a piece of Black Tourmaline, a Lapis Lazuli "disk" and a sliver than came off my large piece of Selenite. They seem to work very well together.

Labhraín
23-04-2011, 09:10
Lapis...I have a lapis ring that might be good to use. I also didn't realize that smokey quartz didn't completely cover all the bases. I'm still looking at stones to pair it with like Dancing Bear said.

I like stones that can be worn in jewelry because where I work doesn't allow me to have crystals or stones on the desk and I can't really carry around stones in my pockets even if I do have pockets. Plus I love jewelry so it works out great. :) I've looked through the Crystal Bible and found some good stones, only it's tough to find them in jewelry form, if at all.

I might stop at a crystal shop tomorrow and test out some stones, see if Black Tourmaline is right for me.

Labhraín
23-04-2011, 10:01
Is there a difference between black obsidian and Apache Tear? I see them listed separately in the Crystal Bible.

Dancing Bear
23-04-2011, 12:04
Majority of Black Obsidian is Opaque, you can find some that is semi transparent But it is hard to find. It is naturally forming glass that is formed when Lava hits water

Apache Tear is semi transparent, it does appear opaque until placed up to the light... The same goes for some Obsidian... Apache Tear It is formed when hot Lava is cooled within the Earth. The speed at which it cools Prevents it to form as a crystal.
So instead it forms as solid volcanic Glass rocks.

So they are both Volcanic Lava but formed in completely different ways..

So if you are a water person Go for the Obsidian.
If you are a Earth Person go for the Apache Tear.

Both are extremely good for all you need.

Labhraín
23-04-2011, 22:37
I just did up my chart on astrocrystals.com and fire and earth are a level of 10, water and air are a level of 13 each. However, in Chinese astrology, the main element is earth. Hmm... I was reading some more about obsidian, and it seems to be a strong stone as well, no?

lark
24-04-2011, 02:35
I would go with Epidote then if you are very sensitive to the black stones.
It has the same protective properties, but seems to be gentler to wear or carry.
It is usually green with some brownish/black inclusions..pretty stone and you can feel the gentle yet serious energy in it.

Labhraín
24-04-2011, 09:38
Ok, I went to my local crystal shop today and I picked up these stones:

black tourmaline
aventuringe
bloodstone
angelite
black onyx

I picked up the black tourmaline and I could definitely feel the energy it had. So I thought, maybe too strong? But then I picked around in the bin and found a little pyramid shaped black tourmaline and it sounds funny, but it felt like a happy little stone. So I got it, and looking around, I found the others. The black onyx looks neat because it's in the shape of a perfect square. The angelite, bloodstone and aventurine are all very pretty stones.

So, what do you think of these?

GreenMoonBeam
24-04-2011, 16:49
Labhraín , (Beautiful Irish name) :heart:

that sounds like a good selection. From my pov, if I like them, then I find they work well for any purpose. I love the idea of looking,feeling thro a bin and touching & handling crystals. The final choice is so rewarding.

Enjoy them :love:

Blessings

GMB

linnie
24-04-2011, 16:54
Labhraín , (Beautiful Irish name) :heart:

that sounds like a good selection. From my pov, if I like them, then I find they work well for any purpose. I love the idea of looking,feeling thro a bin and touching & handling crystals. The final choice is so rewarding.

Enjoy them :love:

Blessings

GMB
Yes... I always ask to have the crystals brought out of the display cupboard so I can feel them, play with them, connect with them... and, with tumbled stones, I always go through the whole bin, remove those that give me a 'no', and then select from the rest... As GMB says, if you connect with them, they can be used for any purpose... just ask them... :) :heart:

Labhraín
25-04-2011, 09:01
Hi Lark,

Thank you for the suggestion on Epidote. I'm not familiar with that one. I just looked it up and it is a pretty green stone. I'll see if I can find any pieces with that.

What do you think about Seraphinite? I came across it here in another thread, and I wonder if that would be a good choice. What has been everyone's experience with Seraphinite?

GreenMoonBeam
25-04-2011, 14:05
This,too, is a crystal I like. Should you find a piece, look very very carefully at it to see what looks like the feathering of Angel wings. And its name is based on angels, Seraphims.

I'm wondering if you might find Unakite a crystal you could enjoy?
I recalled this thread that has a couple of suggestions with URLs. It's a good look at thread imho.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48944

Blessings

GMB

Labhraín
27-04-2011, 01:24
I'm really leaning towards green tourmaline and smokey quartz. I found a green tourmaline ring on Ebay. What do you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270550263657&category=164343&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I have a piece of black tourmaline and a piece of black onyx near my computer, along with a smokey quartz crystal. I also have a nice little polished black obsidian stone. They're sort of like "little sentinels." They seem to be working well.

I thought more about the seraphinite and it feels a little bit cool to me. Unakite and epidote I like more. They have a wamer feel to them. I have found lots of pieces of unakite but none with epidote, although the Encyclopedia of Crystals by Judy Hall lists unakite (epidote) on page 36, but then it lists epidote on page 114. The Crystal Bible (also by Hall) does not lis epidote at all, only unakite. How is unakite different from epidote?

cardlady22
27-04-2011, 01:34
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unakite
I really like the feel of unakite!

http://www.healingcrystals.com/Unakite_Articles_19.html

Labhraín
27-04-2011, 05:00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unakite
I really like the feel of unakite!

http://www.healingcrystals.com/Unakite_Articles_19.html

Well, I do like the green in unakite, but not the pink. Maybe if I found a green piece of unakite, that might be a good choice.

cardlady22
27-04-2011, 05:02
If you have a metaphysical or rock shop close by that lets you sift through large bins of tumbled stones, you might find a piece that's mostly green. Sometimes children's museums have them.

Or you could note when ordering from a site that you want a specimen with the least possible pink areas.

Labhraín
27-04-2011, 10:10
True, I have seen some green pieces of that. I'll look around and see what I can find. They didn't have any in my local crystal shop. I'll have a look at what's on Ebay.

GreenMoonBeam
27-04-2011, 10:46
Also consider looking at ETSY. There are some really nice sellers there.

I notice you said you preferred jewelry? I got Zuni shape bears as earrings from ETSY. There are many different stones that might please you.

Blessings

GMB

Labhraín
27-04-2011, 11:11
I'll take a look at Etsy. I do prefer jewelry, not only because I love it :) but also because it's the only practical way I can have crystals at work. I'm still eyeing that green tourmaline ring on Ebay, though...I'll wander over to Etsy now and see what they have. Thanks for the info!