OK, no more new decks. Really. I mean it.

Asbestos Mango

Right now, I have two decks that I haven't used yet, just used one for the first time, and have four more on the way from Amazon. So, I decided to swear off buying any more new Tarot decks, at least for several months so I can get a chance to get around to using the new acqusitions (I'm doing Deck of the Week and plan to alternate a new deck with an older one so the new ones get used but the older ones don't get neglected).

So, I went to Barnes and Noble with a friend Sunday, promising myself that I was not, absolutely not, going to buy a deck of Tarot cards. As I was strolling past the bargain rack, not even looking at it, suddenly this box that said "Celtic Tarot" on it caught my eye, then filled my field of vision. I immediately had to have it. And it was only $9.95 for a deck and book set. I couldn't resist, and put it in my basket, and went on about my shopping (got Tarot for Beginners as a birthday present for a friend who is just learning Tarot, and a nice covered tea mug for his mom, who also has a birthday this month, and assorted books for myself).

After I checked out, I sank into a comfy chair and actually looked at my new deck- the minor numbered cards are pips, and I usually won't buy a deck that doesn't have illustrated minors. Still, I've had enough experience with the Thoth and Hermetic Tarots that I think I can work around that, and there is some symbolism worked into the designs, so once I've read the companion book side by side with the actual cards, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to read with it, and it is a lovely deck.

But that's it. Really. No more new Tarot decks until I've spent a week reading with each of the decks I already have. I will not look at scans. I will not look at decks when I go to a bookstore (I managed to resist the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative boxed set.)

I'm taking the pledge. Anyone with me?

GryffinSong

Congratulations!!! You've taken the first step on a difficult and rocky road. I've just finished up a couple of months where I didn't buy any decks at all. I even erased my wish list in my profile. Just yesterday I bought a deck in the trading forum, but I immediately put up a bunch of my unused decks and sold more than enough to pay for it, so even though I have a deck coming in the mail, I just shipped off five. That should count for something, right?

Anyway. I think I can manage to resist everything else for awhile. I'd like to get the 2nd edition Melissa Lenormand, but she hasn't even printed it yet, so I should be safe for the time being.

I'm going to start like the AA guys do it. But rather than a day at a time, I'll go a week at a time. I plan to NOT buy any tarot decks this week. :)

Good luck!!!

vee

I'm going to start like the AA guys do it. But rather than a day at a time, I'll go a week at a time. I plan to NOT buy any tarot decks this week. :)

Good luck!!!

Lol, yup! This is me. I won't buy anymore this week. I have two that I plan to buy in the near future and then after them, I'm done until at least Christmas. I think.

nisaba

As I was strolling past the bargain rack, not even looking at it, suddenly this box that said "Celtic Tarot" on it caught my eye, ..... the minor numbered cards are pips,

It has Celtic knotwork in the borders? Brilliant deck, simply brilliant deck! I love mine. Never part with it.

Lokisen

I've basically vowed to stop buying decks too for a while at least. I amassed several decks in a short time, and before I knew it, I was up to eighteen--a blessing and a curse.

I'm actually thinking of "down-sizing" my number of decks, and selling or trading off some of them.

I love tarot decks, but I think I have too many; I noticed another thread which said that some people who have more decks tend to unintentionally ignore some of them. I seem to do the same thing unfortunately. I'll just keep a few favorite decks.

Anna

I did the whole frenzied deck buying when I first joined here. I think everyone does! But I've sold at least 50% of them since, and I only really use 3 of them properly.

I was buying them for the artwork, and some of them are so beautiful. But in terms of what I acctually wanted them for - a working tool for divination - they were mostly pretty useless.

ETA: Having said that, there is really nothing more fun for someone into tarot than being let loose in gregory's tarot room to explore her huge deck collection.

NikkiB

I'm in!

I'm actually thinking of "down-sizing" my number of decks, and selling or trading off some of them.

I love tarot decks, but I think I have too many; I noticed another thread which said that some people who have more decks tend to unintentionally ignore some of them. I seem to do the same thing unfortunately. I'll just keep a few favorite decks.

Same here, I have gifted and sold around 40 so far and to be honest I don't miss a single one! even the ones that gave me a little pang. I've still got way to many. I want to get down to a favorite few which is part of why I started deck of the week to see what I really wanted to keep and what was Meh! Unfortunatly deck of the week group has enabled me to about 5 new decks so far lol :D

le_charior

I am quite pround of myself because for the first time since I came here, I resisted a deck. It was the Tarot de Marcelino in the trading area, and even if I was first in seeing the offer up, there were no replies for hours... and I was very tempted (I mean, it's limited to 70! And it's a Marseille inspired deck with cutesy weird faces! It's printed on natural brown paper, with burgundy ink!), but I resisted. Have more than enough decks for now, and I will not buy anymore this year, I said to myself.

Unless something crazy rare comes my way that I really want. Like the Tarot de Paris by Grimaud. But nothing else!

Or trade, I think that's ok if you trade, no?

You see, I am VERY firm in my conviction not to get new decks... :)

cirom

This whole guilt trip about buying tarot decks has been discussed and analyzed on numerous other threads in the past. But to be honest I feel it's overblown. Yes, you could conclude that I'm bias, but really what is the big deal. Assuming the average deck is about $20, what would your sacrifice and self dicipline in resisting purchasing another deck actually achieve? The money saved would buy you what exactly? Half a tank of gas, a meal in a so so restaurant, see a movie for two, a new hard cover book, a few beers? All somewhat temporary pleasures compared to a tarot deck which even if you did,nt use it regularly or immediately could still have a lifetime of potential use. Now if your personal financial circumstances are such that $20 is significant and would take away from more important expences, then that's obviously different. But if it represents nothing more than a discretionary and occasional indulgence, I really can't see it's such a big deal.
so next time you're in the bookstore trying to " resist" buying another deck. Don't even try, just splurge without feeling bad and then walk past the restaurant and eat at home instead, spend an evening with your new deck rather than watching a new movie. Guilt Free :)

gregory

This whole guilt trip about buying tarot decks has been discussed and analyzed on numerous other threads in the past. But to be honest I feel it's overblown. Yes, you could conclude that I'm bias, but really what is the big deal. Assuming the average deck is about $20, what would your sacrifice and self dicipline in resisting purchasing another deck actually achieve? The money saved would buy you what exactly? Half a tank of gas, a meal in a so so restaurant, see a movie for two, a new hard cover book, a few beers? All somewhat temporary pleasures compared to a tarot deck which even if you did,nt use it regularly or immediately could still have a lifetime of potential use. Now if your personal financial circumstances are such that $20 is significant and would take away from more important expences, then that's obviously different. But if it represents nothing more than a discretionary and occasional indulgence, I really can't see it's such a big deal.
so next time you're in the bookstore trying to " resist" buying another deck. Don't even try, just splurge without feeling bad and then walk past the restaurant and eat at home instead, spend an evening with your new deck rather than watching a new movie. Guilt Free :)
:D

Thanks.... ;)

Hell, though - I could have bought a couple of brand new cars over the last 35 years..... Hm....