OK, no more new decks. Really. I mean it.

Richard

I have a personal standard of authenticity which rules out most Tarot decks, so I usually don't have a problem with Tarot money drain. (A couple of years ago I bought a Legend of the Divine, which I absolutely loathe! Never again, I hope. I learned my lesson the hard way.)

gregory

I'm with le charior here. When $20 for a half-tank of gas means making it to work or not making it in and getting fired, or groceries for the couple of days until payday, then a deck (or a restaurant meal, movie ticket, book or few beers) doesn't even come into the equation, no matter what anyone says.
Absolutely.

Yes, but those cars would probably have cost you even more in gas, insurance and maintenance over those years. And where are they now? Recycled at best in a scrapyard. Can you remember all those restaurant meals. How many times did you see those movies, how many times did you read those books? Whereas all of your decks can be accessed again and again providing a fresh reading again and again even after all these years. And many of those decks are probably worth quite a bit too. Tarot is really quite unique from this context, it combines constantly reusable function along with a collectable art form.
Having said that, any hobbie, pastime, or interest, taken to an extreme that would cause financial difficulty is a problem. But I don't think that's the scenario in most of these "guilt trip" tarot buying posts.
I have never EVER considered the value of any of my decks, though when people here occasionally point out what I could get for some, I gasp quietly. The daughter who gets them when I die has a very unhealthy interest in that side of it and none at all in tarot.... :D

However, I do wish to point out that we do actually keep out cars that long. OK the 22 y/o van we holiday in is a bit dodgy at times - as many here will know :) but - we are NOT the type to scrap cars until they fall apart.

That ALSO said - yes, I have spent a huge amount over the years - but far less than I would have spent on - e.g. - a golf club membership and the necessary to go with it. We all have a way or two where we spend on ourselves - tailored to our current budgets. When my kids were small and we were broke, I used to make a point of going once a week to the local cafe where I and the one capable of eating one would have a doughnut. We couldn't AFFORD them, but it was the one treat we used to have. There is no sin in that. We have to have the odd treat, I think. They keep us going in the crap times.

Both Ciro and le charior can be "right" here. I agree with ciro's basic idea that if funds are not too scarce, storage space not too tight, and one is going to permit himself or herself any indulgences or smalljoys to begin with, tarot decks are as good as and indeed perhaps better a choice than many other alternatives. Very few indulgences wil not negatively impact our health, have the potential to be used for years, and even improve our mental acuity, state of mind, and general wellbeing.

But le charior is also correct in pointing out that for some people, like me, who have a collectors' frame of mind while wanting to grow as a reader, it is distracting and a siphoning off of tarot related mental attention/time to constantly pursue decks when one WANTS to focus on growing as a reader with the decks one already has. Note the wword WANTS; there is no problem at all for people who can happily pursue decks and still grow as a reader with their current collection. Regrettably, I am not one of those people.

There is no conflict between these two points of view.
Right on !

I' d like to re-emphasize my point on the uniqueness of a tarot deck. No matter how much you may enjoy the writing style of any given author, once you've read a book it's value is somewhat diminished, i.e. The fact that you know the ending takes something away from any additional re readings. Similarly with watching a movie, seeing a musical etc etc. By comparison the function of tarot deck makes it a creative work that provides a fresh story line every time it's used.
Sorry cirom - here I have to disagree. I find new things in every single re-reading of ever book I own (I am sorry to report that I am almost as bad about books as about decks.... ;)

Le chariot
It's unfortunate that you chose to assume my comments were condescending. My intention was far simpler and specific. The guilt trip as I described it has been raised on various occasions I pointed that out not to deride you for raising the theme again but to address it, as it's obviously an emotion or reaction that has been felt by other members at various occasions.
There is a thread here about a thread of mine which was about (!!!!) a very nasty comment from another member here - no longer with us. I was told that I was evil to own all these decks and keep them for MEEEE, as they should be given away to people who would use them properly, and who deserved them more, basically. I think cirom's point goes a long way to stopping people feeling as I did when I saw that comment. It almost sent me out of here - but luckily I asked what others thought - and everyone was nice to me :) and thought we should all do our own thing. THAT is the nub of it.

In my opinion, a lot of this is tied up with the marketing of tarot decks. Many people say that it is AT that made them want to buy decks. That's certainly true for me.

Partly it's the information available, scans and reviews and testimonials, which is very cool.

There's also encouragement aka social pressure that comes from feeling part of a group all clicking "buy" on various web sites and reporting with glee what they're waiting for from amazon.com or e-bay.

Don't we figure, these people might know something I don't know? Okey dokey, I'll buy...

I sometimes get the feeling that we're "supposed" to love certain decks because a lot of other people say they do. I guess this is unavoidable if you pay attention to what other people say and what's the point of being on a forum if you don't :laugh:

So buying turns into a social activity, not just an individual decision.
There is that, too. :thumbsup:

I think (well, I would !) that it is OK to collect, not to collect, to give away, and the rest - as long as you don't blow your food and rent money etc. And for those who bought something they realise they hate - this is a good place to pass it on :) Win-win.