Reading for yourself

hanners12

I hope this is the right place to post this!

Alright, so I have a question. I tried searching the forum but an error kept popping up so I'm just going to post it. I'm sure it's been asked before

Is it possible that you just can't read for yourself?

I can read for others just fine, the people who I read for in person keep coming back because my readings are accurate enough. But when it comes to reading for myself, I'm either too impatient or mentally blocked to it. I always end up getting flustered by the cards, they never make sense together and then I end up getting frustrated. Or all I see is happiness and rainbows, but I know it's because that's what I want to see.

I go get my cards read by a close family friend who is incredible at what she does once a month and everything she says happens. And nothing she ever says is even near the ballpark when it comes to my personal readings.

So I've come to the conclusion that I can't read for myself. I can read for those close to me, for strangers, even ABOUT other people. But other than that...I just draw a blank and get angry because nothing makes sense. I'm sure all of you can relate to a time when the cards just didn't make sense and your mind was just a jumble of thoughts when you looked at them.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to truly not be able to efficiently read for yourself?

gregory

I have given up on reading for myself. It isn't so much the happiness and rainbows thing (never got those !) but I am too close to myself. If I get an answer that doesn't fit what I hoped - I can ALWAYS find a reason that it applies to some other area of my life, for instance.

I hate reading for friends too, as I know too much about their lives and often have views on their situation, and I am never sure that I am not letting that colour what I see in the cards.

So - I'm with you there ! I ask someone else.

samantha

Hi Hanners :)

I also find it difficult to read for myself, but haven't given up quite yet; I'm hoping that one day I will be able to be in a sufficiently detached state to do a really good job. Sometimes I can hit this point when I'm tired (but not exhausted) or even out of it alittle on something like flu medication! Perhaps this is when my ego is on hold ?! I believe that the cards that I pull are always relevant so I will write them down. I can think of some that I have puzzled over for ages (years sometime) and then the penny will drop. Often I could not read the cards in the beginning because I was not at a stage in my life to see or understand things from that perspective at that time; is this Tarot hoping to push me to the next level of understanding? I don't know! Other times, as you say, the reading was coloured by my own hopes or fears. (Usually fears! :(), but even this is helpful as it can make you confront/ get aquainted with such trigger cards and what they rightly, or wrongly, mean to you.

Bluebonnet

Hi Hanners!

You know, I put a thread up recently about not being able to be read by others. For some reason, little things readers say come true. But, I've paid for a few readings by readers with over 30-40 years of experience....and all the major things they mention don't happen.

I did get someone who responded here stating that his readings for himself were more accurate because he was a tough read for others. But, most people say its difficult to read for themselves because their emotions get in the way. When I ask the cards several things in one sitting....I get all confused. Actually, I'm a newbie, and I get confused with a lot of my readings. :)

Hopefully that will change!

B

Espirito

Hi Hanners!

You know, I put a thread up recently about not being able to be read by others. For some reason, little things readers say come true. But, I've paid for a few readings by readers with over 30-40 years of experience....and all the major things they mention don't happen.

I did get someone who responded here stating that his readings for himself were more accurate because he was a tough read for others. But, most people say its difficult to read for themselves because their emotions get in the way. When I ask the cards several things in one sitting....I get all confused. Actually, I'm a newbie, and I get confused with a lot of my readings. :)

Hopefully that will change!

B

Sorry for quoting, but i I liked what you said.

You don't believe in cards? or you don't believe in tarot readers but just in yourself?

Bluebonnet

Sorry for quoting, but i I liked what you said.

You don't believe in cards? or you don't believe in tarot readers but just in yourself?

Oh no!!! I'm a terrible reader compared to the experts here on the forum. I actually did not have much faith in the cards nor tarot readers until I came here. I have sporadically been paying for psychics, tarot readers, palm readers for probably 20 years.

The tarot cards really started to intrigue me about 5 years ago. I paid for about 5 or 6 readings. I will have to say most of the readings were similar, but none of them happened. By now, I was to have met my twin flame and possibly pregnant!

Since being on this forum and purchasing my little deck, there have been readings that were very accurate and then others...not so much.

But, back to the subject....when I read for myself, I don't ask the super personal questions because...1) The cards don't make sense to me 2) I'm not sure if I'm interpretting them completely right.

So....for those questions...yes, I ask the experts here on this forum. :)

B

Espirito

Thanks for you reply.

What you just said make sense. Thanks for sharing your experience.

:]

vee

I read for myself primarily, but not in a predictive way. It's more of a self-soothing or confronting obstacles thing, depending on my mood. When I'm upset or stressed, I'll draw a card for guidance. When I'm having troubles and want to solve them, I'll draw a card for focus. It's kind of a form of prayer or meditation, I guess.

Predictive tarot I definitely shy away from with friends or family. Way too easy to project your knowledge onto them and miss what the cards are actually "saying." In those cases, I find it more useful to listen to what they are seeing in the cards and reflect it back to them.

Soaring Eagle

I have found that when I absolutely feel that I need to do a reading for myself, it is easier to shuffle the cards, note their layout and leave it at that. Then I wait several hours, go back to the area where I do my readings, and if I've done other readings since, I pull out each card again and do the reading as if I were doing it for someone else. I have found this is the ONLY way I can do a self-reading. I have to forget it's for me.

If I try and figure out what the cards are saying when I first shuffle and pull them, I know it's for me, and I usually end up with "sunshine and rainbows" as stated earlier, or I'll ONLY see negative in every card, depending on my mood.

Richard

I don't see any problem in using the cards as an aid in making decisions and things like that. They can help one to view issues from new perspectives. It's like having a counselor-therapist-advisor always at hand, and best of all it's for free!