Ideas For Someone New To Tarot!

JCSeawright

So when i was starting out doing tarot and i had researched it so many had ideas, books and ways to start it was a bit overwhelming and hard to grasp what would actually fit. I think i had bought about 15 decks before finally finding one I liked but still had a hard time focusing on the cards. I tried this and it actually helped me alot distinguish between cards, work on cards daily ect.

I bought the tiny universal waite tarot deck and a small tarot bag. I put all the cards in this bag and *literally* shook it up and pulled out a card for the day. It was like $5 dollars for the deck almost impossible to use it for anything else but it was cheap enough if i lost one to replace or in my case.. i put it in the dryer as i left it in my pants pocket. I was able to put them in my pocket carry the card around and associate it into my daily life, keep pulling it out randomly to remind myself what i was doing. When id get home id write what i experianced about the card, the next day id do the same with a new card. Then id use the previous days card and try to tell a story about the two days with the two cards.

It worked wonders for teaching me the cards and it was simple and cheap to do with out worrying about messing up the bigger more expensive decks of cards. I thought this would be something worth sharing to someone who is frustrated and confused about how to get tarot going when it is seemingly impossible to find a good way to start.

Anyone else have stories or ideas for the newbies :) things that worked and such?

AJ

welcome to AT!
I too found a card a day led to much mental enrichment in using the cards, there is Always something new to draw from them no matter how many times a card comes up. It isn't a method that works for everyone, it is a plodding methodology for those who prefer taking a jet to results.

As you continue to read here you'll find dozens of different ideas. There are several card-a-day community threads where you can add your own insight if you like. And you can search within the thread to see what other posters with that card wrote about the day they drew it.

I 'think' card a day doesn't work for some because they view tarot only in a fortune telling light and they get discouraged when what they read as their potential fortune for that day so seldom turns out right.

gregory

I was sort of lucky. I collected a few decks; my first ever reading when I knew nothing was a disaster, so I spent the next 35 years just enjoying looking at a multitude of cards (I was bitten hard by the collecting bug !) I just spent time LOOKING at them, with no hidden agenda or anything.

Many here spend time with one card at a time, not READING, just looking at everything they can find in it that could be of meaning in general - and many keep a journal of their own takes. I found the 78 card study linked from here immensely valuable - but it IS a hard slog, and takes commitment. The people who started out with me fell by the wayside and it got a bit lonely - I got to the end alone, being encouraged by PM by someone else who had completed it a few years earlier - but there are new people doing it now.

Trogon

Pulling a card-a-day is a very good learning tool. I find that I am doing such again as a "get back into" Tarot. The card you pull doesn't necessarily HAVE to relate to your day, but it is extremely useful to contemplate how it might relate to aspects of your life, how it fits in with "real life".

Anna

I found the 78 card study linked from here immensely valuable - but it IS a hard slog, and takes commitment. The people who started out with me fell by the wayside and it got a bit lonely - I got to the end alone, being encouraged by PM by someone else who had completed it a few years earlier - but there are new people doing it now.

I might start this.

I've been meaning to start it for about 8 years now, and I could of completed it 5 or 6 times in that time!

gregory

I might start this.

I've been meaning to start it for about 8 years now, and I could of completed it 5 or 6 times in that time!

I really ought to do it again actually.....

gregory

AGAIN!!!???

Well, if you are up for it I will join you!

OK - as a new year resolution ? - because I've NO PRAYER before Christmas.

Several people said it was worth doing with a second deck.

Almost no-one has got to the end. but I did. :angel: Creative Fire kept boosting me by PM.

tarotbear

If you want to get maniacal (who, ME? :joke: )you can pull a card-a-day and either get a cheapo acrylic picture frame at a dollar store, or a metal placecard holder at a kitchen store and put the card in it and place it somewhere where you can see it during the day, too.

Anna

OK - as a new year resolution ? - because I've NO PRAYER before Christmas.

Several people said it was worth doing with a second deck.

Almost no-one has got to the end. but I did. :angel: Creative Fire kept boosting me by PM.

Ok, you're on! New Year would suit me best too. Perhaps some more people will join in, and we can get a small group together to help keep us all going.