Can you give a reading for someone who doesn't know you are reading for them?

Melisandre

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, but I'm very new to this and wanting to practice readings. I can't keep reading for myself, and I've already read my roommate and a few other people I have close at hand.

My question is whether it is okay to do a reading for a friend/family member/etc. who did not specifically ask for a reading and who doesn't know I'm doing it? I feel like I could do career and/or relationship spreads for quite a few people in my life just to get the hang of things but I don't know if that's advisable. Is this a morally gray area, or would it yield inaccurate results?

Thanks!

gregory

It's more morally debatable than grey ! You will find members here who say go ahead, some who say well, um, maybe if... and ones who say no way.

Why not practice on story book characters and characters on TV shows with a storyline coming up ? Doing it just for practice is something I wouldn't think OK (even if I weren't one of the don't group here anyway !) - as it isn't in any way for their benefit, only for yours, if you see what I mean.

Or just join in some of the circles here or post in Reading Exchange ?

shadowdancer

HI there and welcome to AT :)

So, lets see if we can help on this. It is always a personal choice as to what you have as your personal ethics. I tend to not do readings for anyone who hasn't asked. Bit like reading their emails or diary and I would feel very uncomfortable, particularly if reading on a relationship and something 'iffy' comes up. That could put you in a difficult situation as to what you do with the info.

But, I also understand you want to get practising. How about doing a reading instead on the career or relationship of a TV character? We have a series called Eastenders where there is always something going on. If I wanted to have a practise at doing a relationship reading I could do one for one of the characters. The good thing with that is, you often see an outcome within a few weeks as per the storyline.

A fun career one may be on someone like Alan Harper from Two and Half Men, asking about his chiropracting.

Just a thought that might help you get round that moral dilemma, cos it could open all sorts of wormy cans :)

Take care and let me know what you think

Davina

shadowdancer

HI Gregory - was typing the same when you replied :D TV idea is a way to go

NikkiB

Why not jump in and offer exchanges in the reading exchange section, everyone here is very supportive, and the feedback will teach you so much, don't worry about what stage you are, people of all stages offer readings, I did when I first started and it taught me and continues to teach me so much!!

we are a very friendly bunch :)

Melisandre

Thank you for your responses =) I thought that was a little iffy, which is why I asked. But the idea about fictional characters is a great idea!

I'd love to do some exchanges here, but since I'm so brand new, I'm not sure that would be fair for the querent?

NikkiB

Thank you for your responses =) I thought that was a little iffy, which is why I asked. But the idea about fictional characters is a great idea!

I'd love to do some exchanges here, but since I'm so brand new, I'm not sure that would be fair for the querent?

yes it's no problem, explain in the post you are learning and need to practice and you would like feedback, you will find people very willing to help :) you could read for me over there for a start :)

Zephyros

What others have said here is true, the reading exchange is a wonderful place to learn. I'd do it more myself, but I find I have a hard time conveying readings to typing, I'm more of of a one on one person, myself (mental note: Skype readings in the exchange forum could be good for that, should look into it.)

Also, Tarot as a spiritually developmental tool rather than purely a divination one could prove exceptionally beneficial to you. Sometimes I like to spread out a few cards, with no question, and just meditate on what comes up, analyze them, look at the meanings and others I hadn't thought of, things like that. There is really no limit to the questions you could ask about yourself, since we are always developing as people. the downside is that the only feedback is your own, but that's part of the process. You can also post your readings here in the Readings section and get pointers there.

Debra

Sometimes I pull a card for someone who's troubled with a problem, but only if I know they've used tarot.

poopsie

How do you go about it?

Hi Melisandre,

I'm just curious - how do you go about it? Do you ask their question, as if they were the ones asking? Or do you just sort of "figure them out" when you pull out a card? Do you lay a spread like celtic cross on their issue or what you think is their issue? The reason I am asking is because I may sometimes also tend to do this for some people I know and care about even if they don't know it? I never tell them the results though, and it's just because I was just curious? I didn't realize I may be getting on the ethics-sensitive part though.

I am grateful though to the ones who are pointing this out.