Crystals for protection?

rainboweve

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to crystals and seem to be having some trouble find any really good resources :( Does anyone have any recommendations for books, websites, other resources detailing the various crystal properties for a beginner?

I also did a bit of poking around and am trying to figure out which crystals might be good for protection? For example warding off negative energies or those that might strengthen your own positive energies.Thanks in advance! :D

Hemera

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to crystals and seem to be having some trouble find any really good resources :( Does anyone have any recommendations for books, websites, other resources detailing the various crystal properties for a beginner?
Have you tried here :)

I also did a bit of poking around and am trying to figure out which crystals might be good for protection? For example warding off negative energies or those that might strengthen your own positive energies.Thanks in advance! :D
I believe Quartz is a good one, as well as Obsidian, Jet and Diamond (even a tiny one will do :) ). I also believe it is a very personal matter because sometimes I´ve found some crystals protecting me even though they are not generally considered to be "protective". (Aquamarine for example). So besides just reading about crystals and their use I recommend you also do some of your own experimenting.

Apollonia

Hey everyone,

For keeping your aura strong and remaining clear of other people's energies, I like Prehnite, Sunstone, Rutilated Quartz, or Tourmalinated Quartz, worn as a pendant or carried as a pocket rock. Sunstone and Citrine are both very happy, positive crystals that will help to keep you in a positive frame of mind. If you do intuitive work for others, Labradorite acts as a semi-permeable filter that allows you to tap into their energies without carrying them home with you after the session is over.

Although there are detractors, I like Judy Hall's The Crystal Bible and use it all the time for a quick reference on a wide variety of stones. I also know a lot of crystal workers feel that Melody's Love is in the Earth is an invaluable resource.

Oh, and two things on clearing that not every resource mentions:

1) Some books and sites will tell you that you must always clear your crystals after you acquire them. But some crystals do not need clearing at that point. I always check with my pendulum to see whether a new crystal needs to be cleared, so that I do not inadvertently clear away an energy that would be useful to preserve.

2) Some resources will suggest clearing crystals by soaking them in salt water overnight. Be aware that salt water (or even plain water iin some circumstances) will damage some types of minerals. Sunlight may fade crystals. I have found that the best and gentlest way to clear crystals is by using smoke from burning sage or incense, or just asking my guides, angels etc. to clear the crystals.

rainboweve

Have you tried here :)

I believe Quartz is a good one, as well as Obsidian, Jet and Diamond (even a tiny one will do :) ). I also believe it is a very personal matter because sometimes I´ve found some crystals protecting me even though they are not generally considered to be "protective". (Aquamarine for example). So besides just reading about crystals and their use I recommend you also do some of your own experimenting.

Thank you so much! I did try to do a forum search but somehow did not come across those threads.. many thanks! :D Interesting that you mentioned diamond as over the past few weeks I've noticed I seem to feel more at ease whenever I wear a particular necklace of mine. Thanks! :)

rainboweve

Oh, and two things on clearing that not every resource mentions:

1) Some books and sites will tell you that you must always clear your crystals after you acquire them. But some crystals do not need clearing at that point. I always check with my pendulum to see whether a new crystal needs to be cleared, so that I do not inadvertently clear away an energy that would be useful to preserve.

2) Some resources will suggest clearing crystals by soaking them in salt water overnight. Be aware that salt water (or even plain water iin some circumstances) will damage some types of minerals. Sunlight may fade crystals. I have found that the best and gentlest way to clear crystals is by using smoke from burning sage or incense, or just asking my guides, angels etc. to clear the crystals.

Thank you for the extremely insightful info! I will keep this in mind as I begin to build up my collection of crystals :)

tarotbear

Once upon a time (a million years ago) when you could buy inexpensive crystal points about an inch long and the size of your little finger, I used to have one on every window ledge - pointing out. Once a month I would recharge them all together on a crystal cluster and then put them all back on the sills. The purpose of this was to remove negative influences from my house and to stop negative energies from entering.

Laura Borealis

I like turquoise for protection.

peaceandkarma

The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall is an excellent book about crystals. Give your family a hint that you want it for Christmas and see what Father Christmas brings you.

DownwardSpiral

I've read any of the black stones are good for protection and absorbing negative energy.
Maybe you could find a piece of black obsidian in your area?

Minotauro

obsidian all the way. best protection stone for me

for me for example , whenever I use my obsidian stone whatever other stones ussualy do or make me feel stop completly , I think it just drives away or suck in any kind of energy ,I feel like it is some kind of little black hole =P to me it is very powerfull ,my favourite stone ever. shields me from everything X) haha

but it is too much for some people ,it makes them face or fight whatever it is that might hurt them , they think it is too agresive and prefer perhaps snowflake obsidian, wich is gentler. so you'll have to trie yourself , people react in diferent ways to certains stones.