Crystals for protection?

rainboweve

peaceandkarma - Thanks for the tip! :D

DownwardSpiral & Minotauro - Thank you so much! I did a bit of poking around about obsidian and that seems to be exactly the stone that I've been looking for. I will try both snowflake obsidian and black obsidian and see which one seems most tolerable to me, though I also saw someone mention that using obsidian (not sure which?) along with clear quartz might help in keeping its properties in check. Any thoughts on this? :)

Minotauro

DownwardSpiral & Minotauro - Thank you so much! I did a bit of poking around about obsidian and that seems to be exactly the stone that I've been looking for. I will try both snowflake obsidian and black obsidian and see which one seems most tolerable to me, though I also saw someone mention that using obsidian (not sure which?) along with clear quartz might help in keeping its properties in check. Any thoughts on this? :)

well probably the regular black one , it is the one I've heard people compain about being too harsh haha

Fostha

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to crystals and seem to be having some trouble find any really good resources :( Does anyone have any recommendations for books, websites, other resources detailing the various crystal properties for a beginner?

I also did a bit of poking around and am trying to figure out which crystals might be good for protection? For example warding off negative energies or those that might strengthen your own positive energies.Thanks in advance! :D

Black tourmaline is a good one,and its not as harsh as the black obsidian,though if you're o.k with that one,thats good too.

DownwardSpiral

I'm not a crystal expert but I'm under the impression you can put clear quartz with another stone to increase the power of the other stone. I'm also under the impression clear quartz can be a whatever you want it to be kind of stone.

I'm from Southern CA and I used to see pieces of obsidian laying on the ground. Unless your CA is for Canada that's why I said maybe you could find a piece : )

There's also Black Onx.

rainboweve

I'm not a crystal expert but I'm under the impression you can put clear quartz with another stone to increase the power of the other stone. I'm also under the impression clear quartz can be a whatever you want it to be kind of stone.

I'm from Southern CA and I used to see pieces of obsidian laying on the ground. Unless your CA is for Canada that's why I said maybe you could find a piece : )

There's also Black Onx.

DownwardSpiral, I'm actually in southern California at the moment but have yet to see any pieces of anything resembling a gemstone lying around, but I would love to know where I could look! :) There are a bit of woods and a lot of beaches nearby, so if you'd recommend either one (or another location,) let me know! :D

DownwardSpiral

DownwardSpiral, I'm actually in southern California at the moment but have yet to see any pieces of anything resembling a gemstone lying around, but I would love to know where I could look! :) There are a bit of woods and a lot of beaches nearby, so if you'd recommend either one (or another location,) let me know! :D

I would look near the woods or if there's any hiking/nature trails nearby. I don't know what beaches you're near but if any of them have areas where there's lots of rocks/pebbles you could look there. I've also heard streams are a good place to look for stones. Also anywhere that's been dug up recently. Even a dirt field if you notice alot of rocks in it. Remember obsidian looks like black "glass" and out in nature it may have jagged edges. It's not going to look like the smooth polished pieces you see online. Ah every so often I would even see pieces of petrified wood. And if you find a black stone that catches your eye.....even if it's not obsidian....it can still be used for protection.

So even if you can't make a "special" trip to go searching.....every time your out walking and you see dirt....could be planters at the mall......the trees that line most of the streets...I used to see lots of rocks in one of the dirt parking lots belonging to Knotts....just keep your eyes open and have fun looking. You may even find other stones that catch your eye : )

Some crystal books as well as online sites will show "raw" unpolished stones and they actually look quite different from the ones that are cut and polished.

Hope this helps...just have fun with it : )