Best herbs to put in linen chests

greatdane

I know that cedar is good for keeping out moths, but wondering what herbs or spices are good to put in any big chest or box where you store things like quilts or linens? I thought about lavender too. Something that would likely keep ANYTHING out including spiders or mites. IDEAS, ATers?

Debra

Lavender and bay leaf. Insects will damage fabric if it's not perfectly clean. Bay leaf repels insects--I scatter a few in all of the kitchen drawers.

The crowned one

I use lavender for the sock drawer.

Rosemary, mint, thyme, cloves mix ( 1 part, 1 part, .75 part, 3 part) for winter storage.

These keeps the bugs away.

Debra

This is making me hungry :laugh:

Be sure they are well-wrapped in cloth bags so the oils don't damage the linens.

greatdane

Oh thanks debra and tco!!

Most helpful. I was just going to get this cheap, but nice-looking chest from Walmart to keep clean spare comforter, blankets in and while I have never seen any icky bugs in my place (ok, one spider the size of a hubcap, but that's it and it had fallen in a glass in my cabinet and couldn't get out), I know spiders, mites stuff like that can get into boxes or chests.

I so appreciate the tips!

celticnoodle

How did I miss this thread?! Great Dane, You do think up the neatest threads. :thumbsup:

peppermint, lavender or citrus smells will keep spiders away. Also, interestingly enough I've read that chestnuts keep spiders away! you don't need to crush them or anything, just set chestnuts in dark corners, or on a windowsill and spiders will stay away!

I do know that putting some lemon oil in a spray bottle and diluting it with water and spraying that around will also keep spiders at bay. they taste w/their feet - so they will NOT cross anything that 'tastes' citrusy--or for that matter peppermint.

mice and other rodents do not care for peppermint or for other mint plants. many people will plant mint in pots to keep around the outside of their homes--just to help with keeping them out of the house. It spreads so fast if you plant it in the ground, that people generally will keep it in pots to keep it under control.

I have also heard about bay leaves helping to keep insects away. My mother use to leave a bayleaf in areas for that reason. I believe bay leaves and mint also keep ants away. I do know ants don't like cinnamon or chili pepper or even vinegar. dilute some vinegar in a spray bottle and spray areas to keep them away--though obviously this wouldn't be done in a linen chest. sorry--got carried away here, I guess. :D

lavender, peppermint, cloves, bay leaves, citrus---those are the best remedies I guess.

greatdane

Thanks celticnoodle!

I'm writing all these down and saving. I am all for letting creatures be, just not in with my clean linens! :) I always shake things out before I put them on the bed anyway, but I wanted something that would help keep stored linens smelling nice and keep out anything that might want to crawl in.

celticnoodle

I'm writing all these down and saving. I am all for letting creatures be, just not in with my clean linens! :) I always shake things out before I put them on the bed anyway, but I wanted something that would help keep stored linens smelling nice and keep out anything that might want to crawl in.

I have a few books that list a lot of this stuff, but then some of it is knowledge I've gotten from my mother and grandmother and of course other people. My boss at the New Age shop was really knowledgable about all this stuff! I wish I could've lived there another year or two, to give me PLENTY of time to pick her brain some more on this. At least, I do have the books--and google, to help me find this stuff. :D

Briar Rose

I use soaps to scent my drawers like olive oil soaps and honey crimson rose soaps_ I just love the clean smell of them.