My New Tarot Study Tool: 4 x 6 Cards

Carina

Since I'm still learning, I decided to make a 4 x 6 card for each tarot card. Using several tarot books, I wrote down keywords & meanings--only the ones that resonate with me. (Some just seem off.) Also my own intuitive interpretations. I wrote fairly small so there's room to add. I can use them for reference when I need to, or even as flash cards. I know a lot of people don't believe in using "book meanings", but I thought it would be a good tool to familiarize myself with ALL of the cards.... what do you think?

bogiesan

Since I'm still learning, I decided to make a 4 x 6 card for each tarot card. Using several tarot books, I wrote down keywords & meanings--only the ones that resonate with me. (Some just seem off.) Also my own intuitive interpretations. I wrote fairly small so there's room to add. I can use them for reference when I need to, or even as flash cards. I know a lot of people don't believe in using "book meanings", but I thought it would be a good tool to familiarize myself with ALL of the cards.... what do you think?

One does what one needs to do. I would probably prefer using a small notebook but that's just me.

I think US Games still sells a complete deck of 80 blank cards with the conventional RWS plaid backs. Easily drawn or written upon with Sharpies which, come to think of it, come in stupidly wide variety of colors and nib widths including the super fine pen series.

Try to enjoy your studies! You don't need to write a paper for this class and there are no final exams!

Carla

That sounds like a fine idea! Using index dividers, your notes can continue to expand and you can keep everything in order, whereas with a notebook, unless it's a ring binder, you don't have that kind of freedom. I'd like to see some snapshots of your cards when the system gets going and you've started having to figure out a way to organize them. I love this sort of thing. :) x

Alta

That sounds good to me. I suppose one big advantage over a notebook is that when you lay some cards, you can replicate it literally with your note cards. In my view any learning tool that works for the person is a good one.

I am fairly sure that I read here that a member 'sacrificed' a deck by writing all over each card and used that as a learning deck. Similar to your idea but less space.

You might want a notebook though for when you start to do card combinations ideas and want to note useful spreads or elemental associations etc. Anyway, good idea!

Carina

Yes, I have a notebook too. Also one on my computer---I am much more comfortable with keyboard than pen & paper, and faster, too.

bogiesan

Yes, I have a notebook too. Also one on my computer---I am much more comfortable with keyboard than pen & paper, and faster, too.

Yes, I know that feeling.
But I do so love my fountain pens!

I do have one suggestion: stick with it. My experience, and from reading the forum for a couple of years, is folks often try too many different methods in their quest for information and familiarization with their cards.

Check back in on your thread in a few months, let us know how things worked out and how you're getting along.

BlueDragonfly

I've used index cards for tarot and rune study, and I like the 4 x 6 size. They're very portable for "on the go" study, and work well for copying spreads you use regularly or want to try.

I have a whole section in my index box for spreads and just pull out the ones I want to use/take with me. Not enough room to write everything? Just clip/staple the second card to the first. Then you can add your thoughts on how a spread worked for you, etc.

For things like numerology, astrological associations, etc., the index cards work really well for me. :)

eta-I use notebooks and journals, too! It can be an excellent combined system.

canid

You could also use a post-it note for the back of each card. But, you'd have to REALLY write small! Shuffling might be a problem though.