What is a good book to read for developing psychic abilities?

kellyshay

Whats a good book to read to develop your intuition? psychic abilities?

Isi

I'm also interested in recommendations for books on this topic!

Maryon

Whats a good book to read to develop your intuition? psychic abilities?

hi kellyshay

in relation to the tarot, i really like "living the tarot" bu amber jayanti....it's an experiential walk thought each archetype of the major arcana, suggesting ways in which you can meditate on the cards and hone a more intuitive relationship with them.

i also think any good book on working with the subtle energy body...eg clearing aura's, general aura control and chakra's will help to get you a good grounding.

barbara brennan hands of light is often cited as a very good book for this.

let me know what you discover :)

Tigerangel

Discover Your Psychic Powers by Tara Ward

Hi, I have this book in a spiral bound edition, I picked it up for £3 in The Works two year ago. I've found it to be really helpful and easy to understand below is what is wrote on the back cover of the book.

You can pick up a cheap used one on amazon and also have a quick look inside the book aswell http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discover-Yo...5050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355082702&sr=8-1

Discover Your Psychic Powers by Tara Ward (Excert from back page)

Have you ever felt you possessed a "sixth sense" or intuition which you've found diffcult to explain? Despite man's extraordinary technological advances during the twentieth century, do you still feel something is missing: a deeper, more spiritual meaning to life? Discover Your Psychic Powers addresses these issues and much more by taking you into the realms of greater awareness; it shows you step-by-step how to uncover your own true potential, using both meditative and physical exercises. It reveals how psychic and spiritual development can completely transform your life, whilst also having a positive affect on everyone around you. Most importantly, Discover Your Pyschic Powers has been written in a simple, factual style, making this complex subject both easily accessible and fascinating.

celticnoodle

I've recommended this book many times before and still find it to be the no. 1 book to recommend to anyone interested in developing their psychic abilities. It is called "Psychic Tarot: Using Your Natural Psychic Abilities to Read the Cards" by Nancy Antenucci.

This book is not expensive and it has wonderful exercises to use while reading the tarot that will help you to develop your abilities. It is a must have for all tarot card readers in my opinion, whether or not you even want to develop your psychic powers. Its also a fantastic help in learning to read tarot!

Now, in my opinion--another sure method--is to learn to meditate. if you find it difficult, just continue on trying. meditate for 3 minutes till you get the hang of it--then 5 minutes and keep increasing it as you 'learn'. before long, you'll be able to meditate easily. Meditation is a great way to developing your psychic abilities.

Isi

Now, in my opinion--another sure method--is to learn to meditate. if you find it difficult, just continue on trying. meditate for 3 minutes till you get the hang of it--then 5 minutes and keep increasing it as you 'learn'. before long, you'll be able to meditate easily. Meditation is a great way to developing your psychic abilities.

Hi celticnoodle,

LOL, great username. :)

I know it's difficult if not impossible to describe but could you please elaborate on meditation a little bit? I'm a beginner and aside from closing my eyes, steadying my breathing and allowing my mind to clear I'm still lost. How do I know if I'm really meditating??

It would be so helpful if you could say a bit, even if it's in your own terms and words.

Thanks so much either way. :)

Isi

moonbear

I've recommended this book many times before and still find it to be the no. 1 book to recommend to anyone interested in developing their psychic abilities. It is called "Psychic Tarot: Using Your Natural Psychic Abilities to Read the Cards" by Nancy Antenucci.

This book is not expensive and it has wonderful exercises to use while reading the tarot that will help you to develop your abilities. It is a must have for all tarot card readers in my opinion, whether or not you even want to develop your psychic powers. Its also a fantastic help in learning to read tarot!

This book is now winging its way to me from Amazon :) It's been in my basket for quite some time but you've finally convinced me celticnoodle! Thank you.

And as for meditating, I absolutely second that 100% plus!!!! It opened so much to me when I started last year and one thing just led to another. It's one heck of an interesting journey. Can't really give advice as to method as I'm no expert, but I started with breathing exercises, counting in 4 deeply and breathing out 8 slowly and just trying to clear my mind. Then things started to happen and it just led on from there. I'm still at the early learning stage of all of this though. Several more books are in my basket, including an interesting looking one from a Buddhist monk, Tulku Thondup. Some days it's easier to meditate than others. Need to organise myself better :)

celticnoodle

Hi celticnoodle,

LOL, great username. :)
:p thnx

I know it's difficult if not impossible to describe but could you please elaborate on meditation a little bit? I'm a beginner and aside from closing my eyes, steadying my breathing and allowing my mind to clear I'm still lost. How do I know if I'm really meditating??

It would be so helpful if you could say a bit, even if it's in your own terms and words.

Thanks so much either way. :)

Isi
well, much like moonbear described below. I like to meditate while the hubby is at work, because he always forgets and will come and ask me something if he is home. :rolleyes:

so, I like to sit in one of my straight back chairs, with my bare feet flat on the floor. then-

1. I close my eyes and I take 3 deep breaths-in through my nose--as deep as my lungs can handle and I hold it for the count of 5 seconds.

2. Then, I exhale quickly sending all that air out of my body till I feel like there is nothing left inside of me at all. and through the mouth.

3. I like to imagine roots growing out of the soles of my feet and going deep into the ground--like tree roots. this helps me to feel grounded.

4. I then imagine a white light coming from the heavens above, and falling down over me--covering me completely with about an inch or so above my head and all around me including under my feet and the 'roots'. for me, this is my 'protective bubble'.

5. I then just relax - still keeping my eyes closed and I just sit there, with my feet on the floor firmly--and just do nothing.................

sometimes nothing occurs for me, but often times (I am a psychic -medium) spirits will come to me, or information will come to me - especially when I do this meditation as a reading for a client of mine.

It sounds quite involved, but it really is not and only takes a few minutes to complete. Sometimes I am meditating for 10 or 15 minutes, other times, when I come out, I realize I was meditating for over 30 minutes! :bugeyed: it'll feel like 5 minutes to me--but can be much longer! :p

OH! I also say a prayer before I begin my breathing--I nearly forgot. none of these steps are really mandatory for others though--its just the way I like to meditate. My prayer is very simple, I ask for my guides and Archangel Michael's protection. If I am reading for a client, I will also ask for their guides and mine to watch over us both and to bring any messages and/or deceased loved ones forward for the client to me. After I am done meditating, if reading for a customer, I will thank the spirits and their guides for helping me and I also thank my guides and Archangel Michael.

Now and again, my eyes will open, but I will just shut them again. I generally do this, if I feel the need to relay a message to a client right then, with my eyes open--if they are also in the same room. I often do readings via phone/email too--so my customers are not always in person.

I think the most important steps to include would be a protective bubble of light--imagining the bubble of white light pouring over you to protect you, also to state your intention for meditation-if you are wanting to connect to guides, spirits, etc. and keeping your feet placed firmly on the ground (inside or outside the house). Also, the breathing is very and the #1 important thing too.

Everyone adopts their own method, and it is okay to do so--just remember the breathing steps are important, planting your feet firmly on the ground and to sit upright in a chair--but comfortably so, and I always recommend the bubble and stating your intent too.

This book is now winging its way to me from Amazon :) It's been in my basket for quite some time but you've finally convinced me celticnoodle! Thank you.

:thumbsup: woo hoo! I hope you like it as much as I did/do! I also buy it for everyone I gift a first set of cards to.

And as for meditating, I absolutely second that 100% plus!!!! It opened so much to me when I started last year and one thing just led to another. It's one heck of an interesting journey. Can't really give advice as to method as I'm no expert, but I started with breathing exercises, counting in 4 deeply and breathing out 8 slowly and just trying to clear my mind. Then things started to happen and it just led on from there. I'm still at the early learning stage of all of this though. Several more books are in my basket, including an interesting looking one from a Buddhist monk, Tulku Thondup. Some days it's easier to meditate than others. Need to organise myself better :)

very good advice here! I'm no expert either. Not sure anyone can claim that tbh. I still have times when I dont' get to meditate too. I am not that organized either--sometimes life just gets in the way! lol.

I also have either read some of Thulku Thondup Rinpoche's books or own them. When I read cards in the New Age Store, I was allowed to read any of the books the owner had out--as long as I didn't bend or mutilate them--which I never did, of course. Good books there, I'm sure you'll enjoy them all! :D

amethyst57

look for books by the psychics and mediums themselves...
John Edward, Allison Dubois, Mia Dolan, Lisa Williamson,etc...
a lot of them have instruction, not just auto-bio stuff.......
then basics...there's William Hewitt, Michelle Belanger, Debra Lynn Katz....
loads of others, check out amazon listings....

one caveat....not sylvia browne...
in popular opinion, she's as phony as a 3 dollar bill and
in it for the benjamins....

celticnoodle

I agree with what amethyst posted too. read, read, read! but NOT sylvia browne. I do not like her. I also think she is a phony.