I Ching Tarot

Pagan X

It just so happens it was on sale at my local Half Price books...

The artwork is of the "childlike simplicity" flavor, illustrating each hexagram with a defining modern image. For example, "Biting Through" is illustrated as someone holding an apple to the mouth and about to take a big chomp.

The cards are not intended to be read in the same way as tarot cards, but to be used in conjunction with the simplified translation provided in the package. As a divination system, they haven't added anything to the good ol' three coins and look it up system.

I have found the cards useful personally for keeping track of recent or recurring hexagrams in my life and giving me a cognitive visual hook for memorizing them. That was good value for $5. I doubt I would have been pleased if I had paid full price.

I would prefer to have a more historical and detailed deck (is my tarot brain showing?) that illustrated "Biting Through" as a mouth biting down on meat with a bright metal arrowhead in it.

Lee

Thanks, Pagan X. I can get this from Amazon for $6 plus shipping, I'll probably go ahead and do that, I like the bright, colorful, simple pictures. I must say the Holitzka deck looks very nice too, but maybe a little more substantial and involved than I really want right now.

-- Lee

Logiatrix

I'm very eager to hear your take on this set, Lee.
I, too, have seen it at the Half-Price store, but have put off getting it so far.
I tend to prefer casting systems that can be used with any I-Ching text, but these cards have the book page numbers on them; I'll be curious to know how that works for you--does it help, does it hinder?
I've not seen this done before, so I'm just curious.
I encourage you to still consider the Holitzka deck.
It offers a system of reading the cards that works quite well, and more importantly, the cards are beautiful!
:)

Pagan X

t-ichi.jpg

I haven't noticed the page references on the cards interfering with using another book.

I think I'm going a bit overboard though, since I look up my readings in Huang, Wilhelm/Baynes, and Karcher.

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Did someone say something about a meteor? I had my nose in an I Ching book....

Lee

Thanks for the link, Pagan X! That's the first good look I've had at the cards. I do like that style of illustration. I did order them, so I'll see how it goes. Tauni, it doesn't look like the page numbers would really get in the way, they look fairly unobtrusive at the bottom of the cards.

I'm kind of rushing now to get through the introduction of the Balkin book, before I start receiving all these things I've ordered and get distracted (Synchro-Signs, Gypsy Fortunes deck, LS Lombardy deck...)

-- Lee

Logiatrix

Lee said:
...Tauni, it doesn't look like the page numbers would really get in the way, they look fairly unobtrusive at the bottom of the cards.
Thanks, Lee...
That's exactly what I was concerned about--my One Good Eye could not discern that on the box or the 'puter...
I'm like you, PX, with my trusty STACK of texts out for a single reading... :D

Logiatrix

Pagan X said:
Did someone say something about a meteor? I had my nose in an I Ching book....
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!
:D