Oracle Decks: Why am I so fickle?

Logiatrix

I have finally decided to give up on oracle decks all together.
I've had a weird up-and-down relationship with them from my tarot beginnings. My last manic adventure as such was with the Froud's Faeries Oracle, which I put a lot of work into studying and getting to know the cards. Which is what has put me at the end of my proverbial rope, because, after all that work, I wound up giving away the set today! I'm just fickle.
So, that's it, I'm done.
*sigh*

SherryZoned

Awwwwe...

Could it be you put so much of yourself into it and kind of burn out?

Ruby7

Hi Tauni, I had a similar experience with Froud's Faeries. They were so special to me and for a while I played with them every day but for the past couple of months I just don't feel any connection to them at all. They're just sad, lonely little cards at the moment. Ruby7

Alta

Hi tauni, I too cannot 'do' oracle decks. I have really tried. In fact I keep thinking that I will pull them all together and put the lot up in the Trading Forum for trade. Like you I cannot see why not. I just cannot get oracles to be meaningful, save tarot and I Ching. Okay, I still like the faeries but rarely have them out.
It frsutrates me a bit, and also seems wasteful.

Woof

You are not alone!

I guess we should form a club.

I was so excited to get the Fairies but once I had them I just couldn't work with them. I think I looked through them once and just put them away. And I knew what the cards looked like before I got them but something in me said, "Nah, not for you!"
And I can't seem to ge the Holitzka to work either. But that's too beautiful for me to part with.
Just Tarot for me.
Woof

SherryZoned

I had that deck twice..and was excited. But in the end it did not work for me. I like oracle decks but also have a hard time working with them.

Rusty Neon

As far as oracle decks are concerned, the tarot is a profound and unique one. Various of the non-tarot oracle decks are quickly formulated and don't always stand the test of time and use.

By the way, have you tried out the (52-card) Grand Lenormand deck? That one uses a number of different symbolism systems (cartomancy, floramancy, constellations, story imagery, alchemy, Greek mythology, etc.) and is still widely used in France by cartomancers even after all these years. There are two good books on it, but unfortunately they're both in French.

Logiatrix

dolphinprincess

I think part of the reason oracles can burn us out is because they are each different...

When we put in a lot of time studying a tarot deck.. we know we can always apply that time and knowledge to the next deck we pick up... it is a process and our learning builds with each deck we use..

With oracles... we can study a deck and learn it inside out.. but that isn't going do us much good with our other decks... In other words.. I might give great medicine card readings.. but that won't really help me with the faerie oracle...

oracle decks can get overwhelming and confusing.. because they are all so different.. With tarot, even though the decks can be very different, we are all dealing with the same basic foundation..

For this reason, I am trying to only keep a few oracle decks that have special meaning to me...

zorya

i tend to use different decks for different issues, so i don't really burn out on any one deck.

i feel that oracles can help open up our intuition. they each give us a different angle to look from. often i use them or the runes, in conjunction with a tarot reading.

soul cards, in particular, seem to really exercise my psychic muscles, lol.