Katrina and Astrological Signs

bladeraven

She's a Monster...that's all I can say about Katrina. I was curious what the astrological charts have had to say about her?? She's not heading here but I'm in tears and filled with fear about what the next 12 hours will bring.

dadsnook2000

Weather Astrology

The Church of Light in Los Angelos, CA has long had published material that teaches their method of calculating and interpreting weather charts. The process involves the use of three different charts; the incursion of the Sun into the cardinal signs (warmth), the change of signs by Mercury (wind) and new-moon charts (moisture). These are used in conjunction with average weather charts for the area you live in or are interested in -- the three charts are used to determine variations from seasonal weather patterns.

I have noted that some patterns are indicative of certain weather no matter what the Sun-Mercury-Moon charts look like. All in all, I've had excellent results with their system. One of the Boston astrological groups that I belonged to was planning their annual picnic -- until I related what the charts said about the weather for that day. The group was unfazed and just rescheduled for the following weekend. It did start raining the day the picnic was originally planned for, and we had a fine day the next week. If you have software that can knock out charts easily, I'd try their system. Dave

jumptothemoonyea

Here are the aspects for New Orleans, La for tonight:

Uranus (in Pisces) - Sun (virgo) --- opposition
Uranus - Moon (in cancer) --- trine
Uranus - Mercury ----inconjunct
Mars (taurus) - Mercury (Leo) - Neptune (Aquarius) ---T-square
Mars - Neptune ---square
Mars - Mercury ---- square
Mars - Black Moon ----square
Mars - Jupiter ----inconjunction
Neptune - Mercury ----opposition
Neptune - Black Moon ----opposition
Neptune - Jupiter ----trine
Neptune - Venus ---- trine
Pluto - Mercury ---- trine
Pluto - Black Moon ---- trine
Pluto - Mars ---- biquintile (144 - pentagram angle)
Pluto - Jupiter - sextile

What show the disaster?

dadsnook2000

It's not so simple

Jumptothemoonyea, it's not so simple as a listing of planets and some general aspects. Let's look at some typical and basic astrological charting guidelines.

1) As a general rule a "chart" is for a specific moment and a specific place and is not a list of planet positions for a period of time.

2) A chart cast for a specific time and place yields "angles". The angles are the structure for illustrating which planets and patterns will be powerful and which will be weak.

3) A hurricane is a "process" that covers time. Although you can cast a chart for when the eyewall hits a particular place, such as New Orleans, you have to realize that the hurricane covers a broad span of "time". It effects start earlier and lasts longer.

4) "Cyclic" charts are often used for some studies such as weather and world events. In this case, the Church of Light system (which I mentioned in my post) uses a Sun-into-cardinal-sign chart, a Mercury-changing-signs chart, and a lunar-cycle chart. Each charting approach utilizes the angles for a location and shows the factors that make up the "weather" such as warmth (Sun), wind (Mercury) and moisture (Moon).

As far as your listing goes one could or might associate some planetary patterns with weather such as Mars-Mercury-Neptune or Uranus-Sun. But, those patterns alone without context for a time-place chart are vague at best. The bottom line is that astrology is not simplistic and can not be made into a shortcut system such as some try to do with natal charts -- there is far more to astrology than the "basics". If you are seriously interested in weather astrology there are specialized books available and some astrologers who are quite capable in those practices. Dave

jumptothemoonyea

Thanks Dave, it is very true what you said.

Minderwiz

Dave,

I'll look up the Church of Light stuff, it does look interesting, thanks for the info.

You also make some exceedingly good points about the difficulty of using event charts to deal with the hurricane. Indeed to be useful we need a chart set several hours or possibly days before such a potentially catestrophic event in order to be any use at all on deciding strategies for action.

I suppose horary might be a possible approach - a question such as 'Will New Orleans be devastated by hurricane Katrina?' - Though the actual question would need some refining from this. Even so, such a horary might work for that one location but say nothing about somewhere else. Thus the answer could be 'No' and indeed New Orleans goes largely unharmed but several miles up the coast there is severe loss of life. I don't think horary would be wide enough to give an overall situation that it is good enough for action.

As you so rightly say, planetary patterns are not enough - what matters is their relationship to the four cardinal points of the Chart - this is what geographically locates the event and anchors it to the world in which we live.

Deszroo

Hi...bladeraven. Have you considered Varuna?.

"Varuna is also related to water and air elements. Many circumnavigations etc. began or ended when the Sun was in conjunction with Varuna. Strong Varuna goes into the charts of natural disasters (such as the air hurricanes or the tsunami) rather often".

http://astrologic.ru/english/Varuna.htm

Varuna now (Jun.01,1993 to Dec.31,2012 Cancer)
http://www.librarising.com/FWA/Ptables/varuna signs.html

I still have not found much in the way of Varuna and its interpretive astrological applications..e.g. Varuna through each sign,house, etc....but if the top url can be any guide I guess thats a start.

Also as always this is hurricane season for some parts of the world and as such can usually be pretty tremendous.

Desz

isthmus nekoi

Complex as astro is, we all have to start somewhere :)

Funnily enough, when I saw the Neptune-Mars-Merc T-square closing in from the last full moon, I thought of exercising caution in terms of drugs, water, and anything Neptune-Merc wise...

Deszroo

As I look at the t-square....mars and mercury capture more of my attention in that both are good contenders for dryness and heat vs air and water situation. Mercury, Mars, Aquarius...I thought of mechanical breakdowns and mishaps...perhaps even caused by water...too little or too much. Although Nep is water...Aquarius is also air (and supposed to be "astral" fluid pouring out of the bearer jug;). Following some reports on Kartina.. yes lots of water....yet there is also a shortage of drinkable water in some places, no air conditioning or electricty..and that area can get pretty hot weather wise this time of year. So with all that water damage there is a countering dry/heat drought situation building up. Other happenings in the news... related to the mars and mercury especially I think...was a dramatic situation..in NY I believe...in which a woman gave birth to triplets! by c-section!! (how fun that must have been)...before she had some kind of open heart surgery on her aorta!. There are of course terrifically wonderful and not so wonderful things happening every moment. Yet, the Chambers fellow who did 15years on account of murder charges...was back in the news due to drug charges or some drug issue.

Also found this interesting link
http://www.zodiacal.com/articles/weather/99florida.htm

Desz

dadsnook2000

Weather Astrology requires the right charts

Deszroo wrote . . . "As I look at the t-square....mars and mercury capture more of my attention in that both are good contenders for dryness and heat vs air and water situation. Mercury, Mars, Aquarius...I thought of mechanical breakdowns and mishaps...perhaps even caused by water...too little or too much. Although Nep is water...Aquarius is also air (and supposed to be "astral" fluid pouring out of the bearer jug. Following some reports on Kartina.. yes lots of water...."

This is precisely why charts that have a location and a time are needed for analysis. Specifically you need to have the right type of time/place chart. The system that I referred to, and use, recognizes that weather is comprised of warmth/cold, wind and moisture content -- and that this is modified by the topigraphical features of the area in question. This concept and process makes sense. It also requires a deeper level of astrological practice. Any of these special areas do, just as any investigation of development after birth and event definition or prediction, etc.

You can't tell much from a couple of planets involved in an aspect pattern. In the weather charts I noted, planets on/near the IC have the most impact on the analysis, planets on/near the ASC have some impact and planets aspecting the key-focus planet (Sun, Mercury or Moon for warmth, wind or moisture) has a lesser amount of influence. These are very specific approaches to understanding and assessing a chart and it is this type of rigorous approach that is needed. Anything less is a large waste of time.

This is why I always remind those relatively new to astrology to not focus on natal charts alone but to explore other types of charts and applications once they have the basics of natal astrology down. Dave