Katrina and Astrological Signs

Minderwiz

From a traditional point of view, Dave's planetary characteristics make a lot of sense. The Sun is a Hot and Dry planet (rather obviously), Mars is a Hot and Dry planet (usually taken as the hotest in the sense that Mars heat is likely to be a negative element in a chart, whereas the Sun's heat can be positive, as it is nescessary for life)

The Moon is cold and moist (indeed the Moon is the wettest planet). Jupiter is Hot and Moist (nescessary for growth) and Saturn is Cold and Dry (Saturn is the coldest planet)

Mercury and Venus can be variable depending on phase - Venus is slightly hot and slightly moist when it is oriental (the Morning star) and is slightly cold and slightly moist when it is occidental (the Evening Star). Mercury is slightly cold and slightly dry when it is occidental and slightly hot and slightly moist when it is oriental (as it is now), as Dave says, Mercury rules the winds.

The outer planets are a little more speculative, but Uranus should be associated with erratic and changing conditions, Neptune with milder damp weather conditions and Pluto possibly with storms and tempests - though this is very very very speculative.

However to make sense of which is the most important planet(s) for local weather it is vital to have a chart set for a specific location.

For weather patterns and cycles in general, changes are probably linked to lunar cycles, the Saros cycles and the Sunspot cycle - again though location is important.

Flidais

Excuse me if I'm being dense, but wouldn't it make more sense to view the positions of the planets and stars as they aspect the "birth chart" of the specific location under examination (e.g., New Orleans)? After all, the same planetary positions exist everywhere "today" -- so why would one part of the world be having a hurricane but not another?

dadsnook2000

For Flidais

Flidais, you are overlooking an important "non-astrological" factor -- the local topology for the area in question. If the several weather charts for the time periods and for the location of the area where Katrina struck were instead applied to a place like Saudi Arabia you wouldn't have a hurricane!

You can't get the prevailing winds and moisture from a warm-sea area (which is very remote from Saudi Arabia) to flow with the force and moisture needed. So, even if the angles of the chart and the planetary patterns and postions in the chart were identical, it just wouldn't happen.

It's like many things in astrology -- there is often more to the process than first meets the eye. That's why in my post I mentioned warmth-wind-moisture AND topology/seasonal variations as being part of the methodology.
Dave

Flidais

dadsnook2000 said:
Flidais, you are overlooking an important "non-astrological" factor -- the local topology for the area in question.

No, I'm not. I was using "hurricane" as an example (a poor one, I suppose). What I am trying to say is that I don't think you can use current planetary placements to explain why a hurricane hit New Orleans, when areas all over the world (with topology similar to New Orleans) are having beautiful weather under those same planetary conditions.

dadsnook2000

For Flidais

I believe that you are indeed missing the point. The weather charts are period charts cast for the exact time that the Sun enters the preceeding cardinal sign, when Mercury previously entered its present sign, and when the last new moon occured -- and all of these charts are also calculated for the specific area in question. In other words, each chart is time & location specific. Next, the planets that are primarily used are those that are at the angles of each time/place chart, most importantly the IC angle and less importantly the ASC angle.

These charts do not correspond to the whole world but do correspond to a particular place. On top of that, you have to take the seasonal weather for that area into account as the charts indicate the variations from the norm.

Dave

dadsnook2000

jumptothemoonyea

jumptothemoonyea, your chart is not reflective of a weather chart either. It does show planetary placements for the appropriate place and for a given time -- but it does not look at warmth, wind and moisture as applied in the system researched and developed by the Church of Light. It is just a "here and now" chart, not a weather chart, not a chart that shows the hurricane as an ongoing process with roots that started elsewhere and started earlier and which will finish later. Dave

Flidais

jumptothemoonyea said:
Here is the chart for New Orleans, LA, born 8/29/2005 at 6:00 AM. http://imageheap.com/theheap/51175806.gif
Now we have location, angles, topology. Where is Katrina in this chart?
New Orleans was not "born" on 8/29/2005. The "birth date" of a city is usually considered to be the date it was founded. I believe New Orleans was founded Feb. 17, 1805. You would take that chart and look at transits for the dates leading up to and including the hurricane.

The chart for 8/29/2005 would be considered an event chart. The problem I have with an event chart in this case is that it would be basically the same chart all over the globe. Why is New Orleans experiencing catastrophic weather, yet other places (even those with similar topology) are not.

edited to add: Dave, we were posting at the same time. I agree. I am missing the point. I will give this more thought, but at present, I am not following the idea of "weather charting".

Flidais

Dave,

Would this book be a good one to explain the system you are describing? Or is there a way to find out more without a $22.95 expenditure?

WEATHER PREDICTING The Hermetic System of Astrological Weather Analysis - C.C. Zain, $22.95. Contents: Table of contents; List of charts; About this book; Forward; Serial lesson key; Astrological weather predicting; Reading astrological weather charts; Astrological temperature charts; Astrological air movement charts; Astrological moisture charts; Unusual weather; Tornadoes & hurricanes.

jumptothemoonyea

Hello Flidais, you are right. This is the event chart for the particular place on Earth, New Orleans, LA, for a particular time - 6:00 AM. No historical data here. No previous events, just the NOW.

As for the
The problem I have with an event chart in this case is that it would be basically the same chart all over the globe.

here is the chart for the same time for Paris. It looks different. Houses shifted, angles changed slightly, which is what location affects:

http://imageheap.com/theheap/82211230.gif