Professional Tarot on TV (personal question)

vijeno

Hi,

I started doing professional readings recently. Today I was invited to a casting event for a tv show with people calling in and getting astrology, tarot, etc. advice.

Now, I know that most of these shows are one big ripoff.

On the other hand, the dayjob keeps on sucking, so every possible way out seems like redemption to me.

Of course, they didn't even see me yet, and I haven't signed anything. So...

Is there any chance one can inject some seriousness into those tv shows? Can one do it without feeling like one big stupid asshole? If you were in my position, what would you base your decision on? (Apart from a card reading, obviously... *g*).

Thanks
vijeno

Umbrae

vijeno said:
...Is there any chance one can inject some seriousness into those tv shows? Can one do it without feeling like one big stupid asshole? If you were in my position, what would you base your decision on? (Apart from a card reading, obviously... *g*).

Thanks
vijeno
Why serious? Life’s serious enough as it is…if you can help somebody (even just one person), entertain others, and make money all at the same time…then why not?

Serious? Imagine Dan Rather reading Tarot, “Today, Death turned up next to the Three of Wands. Was the King of Swords or the King of Wands responsible? Tonight our indepth report will uncover a little known player, the Valet de Deniers. And we’ll find out what they knew, when they knew it, and how much they got for knowing it…tonight on 78 Minutes…”

tarotbear

There is nothing wrong with a little humor or levity, but dont let it get out of hand. Remember that no matter how stupid things around you may get that you are the center of attention and stay as calm and collected and PROFESSIONAL as possible. If they try to play you for an asshole- turn it around so they end up looking like the assholes - not you.

Have they ever run something similar before? Can you see other shows poroduced by these people? Ask to see some sample shows and make a decision from there.

Walter Mercado wears all sorts of outlandish costumes amd jewelry, yet he is one of the most respected psychics in the Hispanic world. His accuracy is his credentials; the rest is show biz, folks!

Crystelle

AWESOME Umbrae! LOL

I find that sometimes even when you don't want to read, something takes you there. Case in point -- I was at a house at college near the dorms. Would be seniors were selling items to new freshmen at discount prices. I stopped in, made friends, took a seat and grabbed a drink. One group of freshmen wound up camping out with us in the front yard. We were admittedly playing drinking games. When most had left because of boredom/restocking, I was left with three girls. All of sudden I started flipping over the playing cards... zeroed in on one of the girls and started reading. Come to find out she was already planning on leaving college to be with her boyfriend she had left back home... it had been maybe two weeks since she saw him. Well the cards had a message for her! Even though they had planned to stay faithful, he hadn't even made it two weeks. I ran into her a month later and she thanked me for my reading, she went home unannounced and saw him out with the girl, packed up her past and decided to really be at college. I shudder to think that she might have thrown her education away on a guy that couldn't keep a promise for two weeks!

Sometimes we are called to do things that seem uncomfortable (tarot reading has always made me a little scared) but in the end the universe has a plan... perhaps your place is on this show, maybe there is someone that really needs you!

Sincerely
Crystelle

Alta

If you are going to do it on TV, an air of deathly seriousness is, well, death.

Be professional, do real readings, but practice a little with your friends ahead. Deal the cards in a mysterious way, make a few humourous comments as you read (not to make the querent feel studip!) Remember, it's TV so it has to gather people in.

And, what better way to kick-start a second career!

thinbuddha

I see no problem with taking a job on a TV show. Because it's TV, you would probably be forced (by the producers - time being what it is) to keep your readings short and crisp. A little humor wouldn't be a bad thing. My guess is that part of what they would want is to let the viewers learn a little about how you are reading the cards- to let them "in on the secret" and learn how to interpret their own cards. What's wrong with that? I can just see it now:

vijeno: Ah! Now I've just durned over the "death" card which represents your future in this spread.

quarent: Oh my!

Now don't worry! If you don't already know, the death card doesn't necessarily mean you are about to die.........

Sulis

The TV shows that feature psychic and tarot readings here in the UK don't seem to be 'one big rip off' - they seem ok to me.

I agree with what others have said too - there's nothing wrong with making things entertaining. I'm sure you'll get your fair share of 'serious' questions too - after all, people pay by the minute for readings from tv shows, I'm sure some of them are in need of real advice.

I think you should see what it's like before jumping to conclusions.

Love
Sulis xx

Emily

Hi Sulis,

I have to agree with you - 'Psychic Interactive' on satellite is one of my favourites, the other psychic shows too. The readings always seem honest and to the point, the other psychic channels are the same. Its nice to see professionals do readings, especially when they use my favourite decks. :)

catlin

@vijeno:
I have to admit that I am not fond of Astro TV, Tele5, fresh for you and whatever the crap is called which is broadcasted here on German TV. Most of the readings done there are shallow, lacking professionalism and the way how some readers deal with the querents is horrid. In 90% the stuff what the readers say does not correspond with the cards on the table and is negative press for serious tarot readings.

Do you have any influence on the way how you are expected to do the readings on tv? Did you get any instructions how to get ppl "hooked" in the hotline? Do you have any advance infomation on the reading space? How is the atmosphere with the other readers? Don't sign anything when you have to pay for something in advance.

vijeno

Hi,

thanks for all the feedback. I must admit that I'm surprised by the positive opinions, but on the other hand I have only seen a few shows, so... yeah.

Catlin, I didn't get any information yet, so, any more ideas on what I should ask them in order to avoid disaster?

vijeno