To read or not to read?

firecatpickles

Does anybody here read reversals for one type of deck and not the other? OR Does anyone completely change their reading "style" to suit the deck?

thatonegirl

I dont read reversals no matter what deck im using.
But I do read a little bit diffrent with the Thoth, its a little colder hit you over the head than my other decks. Im just more cautious I would say.

Dwaas

I read no reversals.
But willing to give it a try in the time to come.
I use different spreads, according to the question, the time I have, the querent, the space I can use, etc. This is not depending on the deck, but as you asked now I realize I tend to use only small spreads with the Crow's Magick. It is a perfect deck imo for deep intuitive and meditation spreads and it is a bit distracting for me to have to many cards in a spread when doing that. How about you kilts_knave? I like to know if it matters for you as well. :)
Blessings

Amhran

With my Connolly deck I read with reversals. With my Arthurian (John and Caitlin Matthews) I don't since the deck was created to be read with only upright cards.

Tabby

I do read reversals with all of my decks. Of course, most of my decks are all Rider-Waite related to some degree.

Sheri

I don't read reversals, mostly because the books that I have gotten to learn from didn't do reversals. I have been thinking about exploring reversals since there is a book out about them.

sharpchick

I don't read reversals.

As to changing my reading style, I have a deck I use only for spiritual readings, the LS Pagan Tarot. I've tried using it for other/general types of readings, but the imagery just seems to scream spirit at me, so I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel trying to get something else out of it.

When I had a copy of the Decameron deck, I couldn't do general readings with it either.:eek:

firecatpickles

Dwaas said:
How about you kilts_knave?
These opinions help me a lot. Now I don't feel so different. I was never sure about reversals in the first place, they just don't make enough sense to me. I mean, how can the energy (as one of you mentioned) be so different just because it is reversed? [Think about it, what is the reversal of the number 2? Is it the letter "Z?" Is it 5? How about one-half? Negative 2? 1 divided by 2-to-the negative-one-power? 20?]

Recently I abandoned picture cards (at least for a while) because I was getting conflicting information about the 6 of Swords (RWS) --and it was reversed. I decided to use decks with pip cards only. Memory keys weren't heling at all. I noticed that reversed cards in pips decks didn't make any sense to me either.

So I started work on intuitive meanings; how does the card feel, where am I in the pip, who am I there, etc. This must mean, for now anyway, that I am not meant to use the reversal meaning is literally, rather, look at what the cards are telling me because of the story that unfolds due to (some of the cards perhaps being inverted) pictures on each cards.

It is interesting to note that a lot of us here on AT think along the same lines, yet everyone has their own style.

starrystarrynight

I don't read reversals, either...of course, my deck of choice is the Crowley/Harris Thoth.

But I often wonder about reversals. I cut my teeth on Rider/Waite and got so frustrated trying to learn 156 different variations, that I almost quit!

Maybe I should pick up one of those round decks, and then there wouldn't be any question! (Or can you read reversals with them, too???)

sharpchick

The reason I don't read reversals is because for me, all the cards have both positive and negative interpretations, or diminished energies if you will. Being as visual as I am, seeing a card upside down just tends to put my teeth on edge, and somehow makes me think, "opposite," which isn't true for reversals, not as a carved in granite fact.

It's just easier for me to look at the position the card holds, the cards in close proximity to it, and the question for the reading to determine whether I'm seeing a "reversal" than to actually see the card upside down.

That may sound weird, but that's how it is for me.