One spread for different kinds of questions??

Strength

So as we all know there are many types of spreads for the many types of questions people want answerred.......
But how do you know which spread to use for which question? Is there one spread for all types of questions??

Or do you just get experienced after a while ? when someone wants you to read the cards, they ask a question and you somehow know which spread to use ??

just wondering..........

Sigmar

Im newb so correct me if im wrong but isnt the Celtic Cross a good general question spread?

Afterword you can build on it by adding 'modifiers' to clarify.

Sigmar

Grizabella

The Celtic Cross is such a long and involved spread that lots of people prefer to do three-card readings. The three-card readings can be varied in many many ways. Past, present, future or body, mind, spirit, or he needs, she needs, relationship needs-----you can think of tons of variations on the spur of the moment and then draw clarifiers for any of the positions, so I'd say it's the one that would be a general all-purpose spread, naming the positions yourself as you go along.

Really, it's not hard to make your own spreads on the spur of the moment if you just think of the facets of the situation that need answers. I usually find that 7 cards work well for me. Sometimes I read them straight along, like a story sort of. Sometimes I use cards 1 and 2 as the recent past, cards 3,4, and 5 as the present, and 6 and 7 as the near future.

Today I did a couple of quick three-card spreads, one for a "what if I do" and one for a "what if I don't", with the positions in each spread answering the question "what affect will this action I'm considering have on (card 1) myself (card 2) the kids and (card 3) the household in general."

Sometimes for relationships I do a quicker, shortened version of what we on AT have been calling Umbrae's relationship spread----I lay two cards side by side to represent him and her and then put a third card below and kind of between them so the three cards kind of form a V and that way I can read the two people side by side as well as seeing the relationship card next to each of the cards representing the people, if that makes a good mental picture the way I'm explaining it.

I think the important thing is just to have a name for each of the positions you put cards in----know for sure what facet of the question you want that card or group of cards to answer.

I found that trying to memorise a bunch of spreads was nearly impossible for me and that making my own up as I went along was the best option. I keep the spreads simple and then I draw clarifying cards for any position I feel needs some further information.

Umbrae

I used the 5-card horseshoe for eons - it's my bread and butter spread. Back in the 80's i started doing 7-card spreads. In the 90's I started doubling up the cards in the positions sometimes,
never done a celtic cross. Always figured more cards don't equal a better reading. If ya have trouble with three cards, adding seven ain't gonna help.

and if you think that three card spreads don't give enough information, or if you think that three card spreads are too small - read a little book called "Tarot Tells the Tale" by Rickleff (I think that's the authors name).

If you read tarot - you gotta own this book. If you think a celtic cross is the end all spread - read this book.

Tarot is dynamic. Life is dynamic. Reading is dynamic. the three five and seven card spreads (the simple ones) are flexable...

:smoker:

Sigmar

Lyric -When you do the quick multiple spreads do you reshuffle all the/remaining cards in between or simply keep going? Also when you name the positions do you tend to stick to begining middle and end or can you draw for 3 of the same? i.e. 3 inner attributes that affect the situation?

Umbrae-what do you use for positions for the horseshoe and do you change them to fit your current situation? Im lookin up the book now. ^_^

Sigmar

Sheri

I got the book, Tarot Tells the Tale by James Ricklef. He uses 3 card spreads for everything! It is amazing how versatile it is. What is cool about the book is that he demonstrates this versatility by doing spread for historical, fictional and mythological figures. It was really amazing and a facinating read!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement!

valeria :)

Sulis

Some extremely wise folks have already said what I was going to say (Thanks Lyric and Umbrae :) )

3 card spreads rock, as do 5 card spreads....

The Celtic Cross is probably wonderful if you're very experienced and have been using it for years - it usually just manages to confuse me.

Grizabella

***Lyric -When you do the quick multiple spreads do you reshuffle all the/remaining cards in between or simply keep going? Also when you name the positions do you tend to stick to begining middle and end or can you draw for 3 of the same? i.e. 3 inner attributes that affect the situation?***

I don't reshuffle in between unless I want to come at the question from a different direction. As long as I'm exploring the original question, I keep going. If it seems to me that one position is getting too long with too many extra cards drawn, then I do a separate spread on that particular position and I do reshuffle. For a simple example, if I had done a body, mind, spirit spread and I didn't feel that continuing to draw clarifiers on just the spiritual position was getting me where I needed to go, then I'd reshuffle and do a spread concentrating just on the spiritual aspect.

You don't have to do beginning, middle and end if you don't want to. You can ask for something such as 3 inner attributes that affect the question if you want to know that.

Sigmar

Lyric -Thank you for clarifying that for me.

^_^
Sigmar

Strength

thanks for the tips!!

so basically the rule is...........there are no rules ??

tarot is versatile and flexible and you can use it as you please ??

pretty cool stuff!!