Age a problem when doing a reading?

pinkstar

Well I am 15,and very much into tarot.I mean Im not very good at it,but i've been reading books,and researching online about tarot.

Well anyways.A few nights ago,I went to this lady that reads cards.And she asked how old I was,and I told her 15.Then she said "you are to young for me to read the cards".But she still read them.Do you think that their is an age where you can start going to get the cards read?I dont.

And then I told her that I am into Tarot and that I would like to learn.And she really didn't say much.She just said that she was born with it.But with what she said, she said alot.To me she said that I won't learn to read them because only people that are born with this gift can.I do believe that people are born with the gift of just coming naturally with this.But I also believe that if you set your mind and heart to learning then you will learn.I wasnt at all satisfied with the reading.She just told me that everything would go good for me.
what are your opinions on this?

Alpha-Omega

Anyone can read Tarot. Its not a matter of Having the gift. If u have a Gift then its easyer to read Tarot. I started at 13 and took some time to learn.
I belive i have some sort of 2nd sight. But its not so powerful.

April

I'm positive that as we speak someone is typing a response with all of the same things I'm about to say. But this stuff bears repeating so...here I go.

First, she might be much like me in that I don't think it's wrong to read for teenageers, but I still won't do it. There's a lot of legal stuff there and she could theoretically get in trouble for reading for you. Not to mention the possibility of angry parents coming after you. But does anyone else think it's odd that she read anyway?

Second, she might be very much not like me in that she's definately BS-ing you about having to be "born with it". I wasn't "born with it" and I'm doing just fine. She might actually beleive it, but she's more likely trying to avoid competition. Telling you don't have a chance keeps her from losing all of her customers to you in a few years. :) Besides, who says God never gives people "gifts" at 15yrs or 20 or 50?

Peace,
April

DraagonStorm

Don't be discouraged by one person! I believe if you have the interest you already have the 'inborn' talent. Heck, that's why you're interested in learning tarot. There's alot of information on this site, and other people to help you along.

As for this lady that did your reading.... age can be a concern, not just the age itself, but legal matters... What if you parents are completely against tarot, ie some of the more funtamentalist religions. These parents could cause alot of trouble for adults whose beliefs are not so mainstream. Always try to see from the other persons perspective. But be true to yourself.

BB
DraagonStorm (Sigh... April your right I posted, and you got there before me)

PS Yes, I find that very strange that she did the reading anyway.....

redflash

Everyone is born with gifts, but most are conditioned out of you ! Most people don't bring their children up in a spiritual environment so these natural gifts are pushed away. It just takes time to bring these gifts back into your life. They never leave you, they just take a back seat until you feel ready to use them. Its like the people who tell you that to be a witch you must be born of witches, its rubbish, we all have the power within us !! xx

Baroli

Now you figure if God was handing out gifts, why was Mozart a musical prodigy at the tender age of I believe three? Why did Enstein not speak until he was 7 and he flunked math? It doesn't matter what age you are, if you comprehend what you are learning go for it. The gift is in knowing what you are doing is not hurting anyone.

Peace
Baroli (the 52 year old kid, lol :) )

PS BTW, welcome to AT.

Little Baron

pinkstar said:
She just said that she was born with it.

Born with what? A tarot deck sticking out of her belly-button?

Anyone can learn to read.

It might help if you already have some intuitive skills .. but the tarot, as you learn, will help you work with those.

And often, I think that learning comes more naturally when you have youth and abundant interest on your side.

So, don't be discouraged. Do what you feel is right. I wish that I had learnt when I was younger. I might have a better idea of what I am doing by now ;)

And in answer to your other question, I have read for a fifteen year old before; but I did have his mother there at the time. Not because I thought he was immature, but because I thought that it would settle her mind. It was a nice experience for them both. Since he was present during her reading and we talked about it all afterwards, together.

Hope that helps. And welcome, by the way.

LB

Dwaas

Hello Pinkstar,

Welcome to the AT forums. I think you have been given a wonderful gift: your interest in and pleasure with Tarot! Don't ever let anybody tell you different, have faith in yourself, in your learning abilities. Tarot started long time ago as a game and I think that having fun with tarot is still the most important matter. People who bs about age or gifts have forgotten what Tarot is about, it is about having fun, learning, growing but they are busy with all kinds of other things which you should not bother to think about. I look forward to read more from you and to learn from you. :)
Blessings

Baroli

LittleBuddha said:
Born with what? A tarot deck sticking out of her belly-button?

And a pendulum hanging from her nose. Too much LB :laugh:

Baroli :)

PS Pinkstar your youth and exuberance for Tarot will help you on your journey of discovery. Have fun!!

serenaserendipity

age is not a problem but prejudice is...

i just want to say, don't worry dear--

though i can see a bit of what she's saying-- i think depending on the style she uses in interpreting the cards... i wouldn't ever do a "fixed fate" reading to anyone, but ESPECIALLY not a teenager

teenagers have abundant free will, despite the constraint of their home circumstances!

innate gifts aside, you can really choose whatever path moves you, the world is your oyster!

i wouldn't give up even on a kid in juvie-- if they want to learn to read tarot, or play the violin or learn to carve wood or drive a truck or speak sengalese, i'd say, "more power to you! go for it!"

because the truth is, when you're young you have abundant POSSIBILITY

i would find it a bit daunting to read for a teen simply because there are so many branches on the tree of life that are still sprouting and have yet to be pruned, that it would be extremely difficult to discribe any one life path for that person...

but tarot can still be used as an illuminating tool

and i don't think tarot is a gift anybody's born with, though i can see in myself that the gifts i was born with have been like giant seedpods i carried with me until they exploded, desiring to find earth to root in and sprout--

what you do with it is what matters--

and we are all equal, and all one, even as we are not the same

bless you

serendipity

p.s. one of my tarot buddies here online is a teenager like yourself and i consider him to be one of the more gifted readers i have encountered!
though it's true he might not give the multi-dimensionality an older person might, from having the life experience...

p.p.s. in my mother's side of the family, which is Native American, they respect both sides... they respect the Elders for being wise and the youth for having the energy and for being the future and having Possibility...