who was a secret skeptic? be honest

Ellie121

Were you a skeptic before you got into tarot?
Even as you did readings, you didnt totally believe ? -

Did u think the cards u drew were indeed random?

Im curious........
Im trying not to be a skeptic, and altho my readings are convincing me- its not enough yet...

catlin

Yes, I confess it: I read cards for more than 12 years only for myself before I started reading for friends and later for strangers.

Even today I am still sceptic when I read with non-tarot oracle decks. But I trust my beloved tarot cards.

Unknownspirit

I was a skeptic too. But I'm usally that way about everything. I can still be that way with a few decks, but there are a lot of deck I trust fully.
Thats why I think most people would not believe me if I told them I read tarot.

Ellie121

After ive shuffled and in the process of choosing cards, in my head im thinking... hmm i could easily pick ANY card...
and it makes me think thats its totally random- because what if i choose a card and change my mind ......

its all quite dodgy

Alta

Keep reading for a while then. Sometimes the only person who can convince you is yourself, and your querents.

Emily

I think its just human nature to be skeptical and not just about tarot.

I trust my decks but it does take time to justify that trust - like Marion says just keep practising, do daily cards - take notes of the cards you get. At the end of the week lay the cards out and see if you relate to them. But some people have a real hard time when they try to read for themselves so practise on others too - then sooner or later you'll get that 'Aha' moment. :)

fairyhedgehog

Ellie121 said:
Were you a skeptic before you got into tarot?
Yes, and I still am :)

I believe that I draw cards entirely at random. But as I'm not using them to tell me some set future that lies in store for me it doesn't bother me. I treat each reading as one possible story about what is going on and it gives me an alternative view on a situation.

So you don't have to give up skepticism to enjoy using tarot. But you can if you want to :)

Ellie121

yeah i suppose so.
I will have to convince myself.

But another thing ive noticed when doing readings for others is that the cards tell me something that i know is true about the querent but its not what they want to hear.

For example- i did a reading on my friend who is cheating on her boyfriend (she doesnt know that i know).
The cards reflected that totally.... especially in the position of HIS feelings and attitude to the relationship ( he is aware that she is too close to other guys but doesnt know she cheated).

I more or less told her of this- but not exactly.

What is appropriate when reading the cards? Do you tell all?

femalegamer

I still maintain that in a lot of situations, the main reason that readings are helpful is because you're forced to focus on the situation in detail in order to fit the cards into the situation. For the future kind of cards, it helps you find a new perspective.

Is that a skeptic?

Ellie121

partially lol -

its a way of reasoning with the tarot i think.