Reading Tarot symbols..

Toni100

Hi!
When I read Tarot I have a feeling that symbols and shapes on cards are more important then meaning of the cards that we find in the books. I would like your opinion.
Thank you!
Toni
P.S. Sorry for my English (not my first language).

rainwolf

I fell torn between the two--you should rely on the symbolism, but you should try to make it somewhere near conventional interpretation.

Others will disagree and say it is all symbolism, but I think that without some sort of 'form', there is no method, and that would mean you just say whatever you want.

So I like to see what the symbols say to me that further speak to the original meaning of the card.

jmd

Whatever the 'original' meaning(s) of the cards, part of what we have are the views that many authors have suggested - whether written on a bulletin board, an essay, or a book. These, in my personal view, certainly need to be considered, but not necessarily accepted - and that whether or not 300 or 3 authors repeat teh same suggestion.

If the images speak to the reader with their own meanings, then I would suggest to go along precisely with that. With time, perhaps one's own insights will get closer to an author's suggestions... or determine that the author was just plain writing their own particular view at odds with one's own insight.