folktale about tarot

purplestar

hi,i'm new 2 tarot.my friend[a monk]who help people see fortune told me that alway using tarot[more than twice a week]would be bad for the person [he did said wa the bad things].i do not have any intention of damaging the tarot reputation but this matter had been borthering me for some time and wish 2 get some answers please.this it ok 2 use tarot everything or more than that?

SunChariot

You can use the Tarot as often as you want. As long as you don't get too tired to do a good reading. :grin:

However it is not a good idea to ask the same question to often. It is best to wait long enough until something could have changed before asking the same queston again.

That being said I don't think there is anything you can do just by reading for a person that could harm them. Unless you give them some bad advice. By the readings themselves are not harmful. Maybe depending on whom or what you are trying to contact to get answers from. Personally I am asking of G-d, who is not in the business of harming people. Others ask the universe, same thing...Answers coming from a good kind place will not harm anyone.

There are lots of Tarot superstions around, It think what you heard is one of them. Others include you should not buy your own decks, and that you should not own more than one deck..... Both of which I have broken many times and my readings and my life have become much better because of it.

Babs

Crowqueen

A well-phrased question is essential, but I would agree that asking the same question - even twice - produces gobbledegook. Even the most obtuse reading will yield results if looked at properly.

To give the monk the benefit of the doubt that might have been what he meant, BUT the advice is the same: anything that comes from the ego self is bad, and he sounds like he is giving in to the ego's siren call to abuse and flaunt his powers rather than helping you to open up your own.

In this case it sounds like the monk wanted to keep you dependent on him for readings. How do you suppose he made a go of fortune-telling with tarot if you could only use it twice a week? With tarot and ability go responsibility: there are people in the world who have such uncanny abilities for manipulation of others that they must have access to powers like this and abuse it. A good tarot reader or spiritualist in any discipline of divination, magick, healing or mediumship will help and encourage you to empower yourself, not shroud talents in mystery and old-wives'-tales. I don't read for myself every day (all I do usually is pull a card for the day unless I have come to a real impasse, but I don't bother every single day), but if I get frustrated and cast the cards again for the same issue (such as looking for the same object), it is unintelligible nonsense, or worse - some decks like the Morgan-Greer go out of their way to throw up nasty cards like the Devil, usually a sign they are annoyed that you are giving in to your ego and questioning their wisdom. Even if I make a mistake in the spread or leave a card or two in the box, that counts, since even mistakes are made for a reason.

SunChariot said:
That being said I don't think there is anything you can do just by reading for a person that could harm them. Unless you give them some bad advice. By the readings themselves are not harmful. Maybe depending on whom or what you are trying to contact to get answers from. Personally I am asking of G-d, who is not in the business of harming people. Others ask the universe, same thing...Answers coming from a good kind place will not harm anyone.

PS I did get scared that I foretold a death two weeks before it happened, and because I was in a kind of desperate state at the time I asked for a prediction (it wasn't while using tarot, but I would have got the answer through whichever method of divination I tried), I thought I might have caused it. However someone the other day put my mind at rest by saying that "if X's life path is that he will pass over on XX/YY, then there is nothing you can do to stop him, even if you foretell his death beforehand, even if you let him know". I couldn't tell anyone because I only saw "a death" not "X's death", and humans seem to have an inbuilt capacity for ignoring premonitions of death, unless they themselves have a funny feeling - read the story of Cassandra or "Julius Caesar" and you'll see why.

For example, say you give good advice - don't go to that party, you'll drink too much and coming home you'll have a fatal accident. The person decides not to go. Then his mate calls him up. C'mon, let's go, I'll drive, it's OK, I'm not going to have anything to drink. So they go. The guy feels it's OK to get drunk. His mate stays sober. Then on the way home a drunk driver (say middle-aged) comes speeding round the corner and crashes into the guy's car. The two boys and the drunk driver are all killed. The two boys themselves were not to blame for the accident, since they were more responsible than the third man (most kids I know are actually very good about not drink-driving nowadays).

All you can do - could have done - in this case is give the best of advice. Although you foretold his death, it was his free will to ignore your advice. Looking at it from a higher perspective, it was his life path to live fast, die young, perhaps as an example to others, perhaps as a test to his parents...read any book on spiritualism and you will discover some quite mindbending theories about the purpose of our spiritual existence.

Milfoil

purplestar said:
hi,i'm new 2 tarot.my friend[a monk]who help people see fortune told me that alway using tarot[more than twice a week]would be bad for the person [he did said wa the bad things].i do not have any intention of damaging the tarot reputation but this matter had been borthering me for some time and wish 2 get some answers please.this it ok 2 use tarot everything or more than that?

May I ask if your monk friend is a buddhist monk?

If so, I very much doubt he is telling you to only read tarot twice a week to keep your business to himself. It is more likely that he is thinking of your overall spiritual welfare by asking you to not become reliant on tarot as a way to make decisions in life. Any tarot reader worth their salt would not read for a client that often because it clouds the judgement and focuses their attention on the reading as a way to solve their problems rather than using the information to solve things themselves.

Crowqueen said:
anything that comes from the ego self is bad, and he sounds like he is giving in to the ego's siren call to abuse and flaunt his powers rather than helping you to open up your own.

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree with this, the over inflated ego is most definately a problem as we see every day for example, when novices dispense advice like opening a tap or when people consider their own opinion above all others. But a healthy ego knows how to maintain confidence without crushing those around them.

ravenest

More than twice a week! You wouldnt want to be a professional!

I had a friend who felt the tarot was spinning them out and on enquiery he told me he reads when he gets up, reads through the day and reads at night and before bed.
I told him to stop it as it seemed excessive. This was not because of the number of readings, but more the point that he was slipping into a mode where he felt he couldnt make decisions for himself.

But twice a week ....sheeeze!

HudsonGray

Perhaps that's all your friend limits himself to because that's the way he works with his deck? But he shouldn't be restricting anyone else from reading.

I can't see any reason to only do two readings a week if you want to use your deck more than that. It seems so... I don't know... so unnecessary to put the limits on. That means only 8 readings a month??? You can do five readings a night if you want, and read every day of the week--it'll give you good practice.

Eco74

The way I see it Tarot is only the path to our own inner truths and a way for us to see into our own spiritual connection to the world around us.

As such, as long as the tarot is seen as the tool rather than the "know it all oracle" it can be used as often as you want and feel comfortable with.
Too many readings in too short a time can be mentally tiring, and asking the same question too often can blur the replies since in a way it means that we don't accept the answer given and refuse to see it, thereby conciously blur our own vision.

But anyhow, I might be digressing here...

The danger lies in the Tarot becoming "the object" rather than the tool.
It's a good recommendation to take it slow and not go too far into something before we have some solid ground under our feet. Especially when it has to do with our own spirituality.

Never forget that the tarot, just like crystal balls and other means of divination, is a tool to help guide us to our inner spirituality and that the magic resides within us, not in the tools we use.

ravenest

Well said!

Crowqueen

Milfoil said:
May I ask if your monk friend is a buddhist monk?

If so, I very much doubt he is telling you to only read tarot twice a week to keep your business to himself. It is more likely that he is thinking of your overall spiritual welfare by asking you to not become reliant on tarot as a way to make decisions in life. Any tarot reader worth their salt would not read for a client that often because it clouds the judgement and focuses their attention on the reading as a way to solve their problems rather than using the information to solve things themselves.

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree with this, the over inflated ego is most definately a problem as we see every day for example, when novices dispense advice like opening a tap or when people consider their own opinion above all others. But a healthy ego knows how to maintain confidence without crushing those around them.

True. And wise words on the Buddhist angle as well.

I find I'm more scared of letting the ego run away with me tbh. Nevertheless I have probably been influenced by my own other "real life" discipline (;)) where egomania often is in inverse proportion to the talent and ability of those possessing it.

I would certainly not read a large spread for myself every day, though. Partly because I don't have the time, and partly because I am not sure I want to know what is going to happen during the day (as my own spreads usually turn out to be predictive rather than indicative, if you see what I mean - I am finding that I am most gifted in future prediction as opposed to mere insight into present states). A card of the day for advice or overview is usually enough for me.