Bad card readings

tarotgirlfl

Hi, I'm still a newbie and student. :)

I've been recently pondering, can a person ever get a "bad" or "wrong" reading? And if so, how would they know? I mean, if a reading gives the possibilities of the near future, and we have free will, then even if the cards say one thing, we can change it. So a reading may have seemed "wrong" only because we changed our course and what the cards said never came to fruition. So... CAN a reading ever be wrong or bad?

Also, what about card reading ethics? What if somebody pulls some cards, and goes "no...", and then pulls more cards, and shakes his/her head, then pulls more cards, stares, pulls more cards, and more cards, and more cards, and more cards, until he/she has pulled almost every card in the deck, and then goes "now that's interesting, I've never pulled that card!". Well, yeah, if you pull 45 of your 50 cards you'll eventually get that card, right? To me that seems unethical.

I'm just curious if you all had any thoughts on this. Being new, I want to make sure to understand as much as possible. :)

rainwolf

I think the cards tell us what will happen if we continue the current trends we choose. If we don't want the particular outcome, we can change it, and get another reading telling us how the change will influence.

red11

As far as I understand (and JMO b/c I too am a humble beginner)...yes, people make mistakes and can interpret the cards incorrectly sometimes. Also, I am a subscriber to the ever popular phrase "everything happens for a reason..." so, with that in mind, I would say that at that point in time when the "wrong" reading was either given/interpreted, it was meant to be as such. The querent was not supposed to know the outcome, because it was not in his/her best interests to know so at the time. Sorry if I am rambling a bit too much; it is late and I should not have had that cup of coffee at 7 PM..whoops.

Alta

tarotgirlfl said:
I've been recently pondering, can a person ever get a "bad" or "wrong" reading? And if so, how would they know? I mean, if a reading gives the possibilities of the near future, and we have free will, then even if the cards say one thing, we can change it. So a reading may have seemed "wrong" only because we changed our course and what the cards said never came to fruition. So... CAN a reading ever be wrong or bad?
Generally the cards seem to be always be 'right', in a sense. That is, you can look at them months afterwards, smack your forehead and exclaim 'right! why didn't I see that!!!' But, if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it.... what's the point except some after-the-fact learning?

Not all readings are about the future of course, but those that are have the most chance of being 'wrong'. And I use quotes because I am moreorless of Yoda's opinion that the future is always in motion. That being said, it also seems that there are some bullets that you just cannot dodge.

What I find is that we human beings neither like to see for ourselves, nor to predict for others, a negative outcome. In twisting what we see, we can set ourselves up for failure.

Also, what about card reading ethics? What if somebody pulls some cards, and goes "no...", and then pulls more cards, and shakes his/her head, then pulls more cards, stares, pulls more cards, and more cards, and more cards, and more cards, until he/she has pulled almost every card in the deck, and then goes "now that's interesting, I've never pulled that card!". Well, yeah, if you pull 45 of your 50 cards you'll eventually get that card, right? To me that seems unethical.
I wouldn't call that unethical, but I would call it worthless. Again, setting yourself up for confusion and failure.

In the I Ching there is a hexagram specifically warning against that practice, number 4. It tends to come up if you keep trying to get the oracle to give the answer you want. "If the pupil keeps tugging at the robe of the master, there will be only silence."

I absolutely refuse to draw what get called clarification cards but in my eyes are confusion cards. (Okay, sue, me, I did it recently, but it is rare).

Being new, I want to make sure to understand as much as possible. :)
Well, I am not so new, but I also feel that way. hehe :D :D

tarotgirlfl

Thanks everyone! :) I feel better now and feel like I'm understanding things better. Each of you helped me a lot. Hugs and thanks!

Silver_Skye

Hehe I just wanted to add a note... From personal experience I've found that readings can get cofused in the querents head...

For instance I did several readings late last year, and the general theme seemed to be having to part with someone I love. Instantly I thought this meant my boyfriend and when nothing happened I assumed that I had been wrong and quickly put it out of my mind...

About a week and a half ago I was sorting through things and found a copy of those early readings and when reading back over them, I discovered that they were right afterall... I ended up having to give up a cat whom I was very attached to...

So, I guess my point is that I think a lot of things are a matter of "Hindsight is 20-20" - you don't think of that particular option when you come across some info, but then when you look back it's clear as crystal.

Also on the note of pulling cards till you get the one you want... If you're doing a reading for someone else and do something along those lines, I would consider it unethical, because you're cheating that person. Manipulating the results till you get what you want to tell them, if you're doing it for yourself, you're just avoiding the truth, which doesn't do anything other than give you false hope.

And I'm done rambling now. ^_^

Baroli

Silver_Skye said:
Also on the note of pulling cards till you get the one you want... If you're doing a reading for someone else and do something along those lines, I would consider it unethical, because you're cheating that person. Manipulating the results till you get what you want to tell them, if you're doing it for yourself, you're just avoiding the truth, which doesn't do anything other than give you false hope.

And I'm done rambling now. ^_^

I think Mary Greer says something like that in her book "Tarot for Yourself" You can pull until you finally get the Lovers card, but what does it accomplish? Nah, go with what the top cards say, good or bad. I have given and gotten negative readings. You have to think about it and the choices you need to make for a better or richer outcome I think.
My two cents :D.

Baroli

SunChariot

tarotgirlfl said:
Hi, I'm still a newbie and student. :)

I'm just curious if you all had any thoughts on this. Being new, I want to make sure to understand as much as possible. :)

Yes it is possible to get a bad reading (if by bad you mean inaccurate). I do very much believe that the right cards always come up, but reading can be quite subjective. And depends on the skill of the reader. A lot of things can sway a reading. One would be reading on a topic you are feeling emotional on--the reader may tend to sese just what he/she wants to see for example.

If it is a reading about the future or near future, there is no way for the querent to know immediately if it was correct or not until the future indicated in the reading has come and gone. Short of having another reading done by someone else to verify that it says the same thing.

And of course if the events spoken on in reading about the future don't come to pass, that does not mean the reading was inaccurate either. The future shown in Tarot readings is just the future the querent was heading towards at the time the reading was done. Very many things can come along and change it. So if the events shown in the reading never come to pass, it may just mean that something changed. Something as little as teh reading itself can change the future. If a reading depicts a future that the querent does not wish to have, they may just go "No Way!" inside and become deterimined to change that future. And they could very well succeed in changing that future in that way.

What you said about Ethics...well not sure if it's unethical, but it sure shows a reader who does not know what they're doing. I would not trust them if they were doing a reading for me. Even if I knew nothing about Tarot first, that would look suspect me me. Then again, I see your point, maybe you should not read for others until you're sure you know what you're doing. Because people do have emotional reactions to what we tell them, and you don't want to cause someone any pain when you don't know what you're doing, so yeah, that could be unethical. I can see your point there.

Speaking of bad readings, to me, a reading can be accurate and still be bad. Getting back to ethics here, a Tarot reader is there to help the querent, to enrich his life in some way, and help him/her create a better future for him/herself. I do believe this in my heart that it is part of what we do to improve people's lives and never to worsen them. I find it a sign of a bad reading when the querent leaves saddened or frightened, rather than enlightened and hopeful.

And every negative situation has a positive side to it. It is wrong in my opinion to show just the one side and not the other. We are here to help the querent see how to balance their lives, not to make them go OMG, this is horrible.

Let's say you see the Death card comes up about someone's job. Sure if you see their job ending you tell them, but you don't just stop there and send them home. The Death card always has the aspect of reincarnation in it, of something ending to make room for something better. You don't just say your job will end (leaving the person scared of what they will do next). You tell them the whole story, that it is ending to make room for something better (a new and better job) that will come into their lives. You can even say that in a sense that is why they lost their job now, that the universe wanted them to be ready for the new one. After all if they had not lost this one, they would not have looked the something else that will soon be sent into their lives.

IMHO, a lack of compassion can create a bad reading. I live by the golden rule. "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you". I mean how would you like to have a reading done and leave feeling miserable. To me that's a bad reading.

Babs

SunChariot

red11 said:
As far as I understand (and JMO b/c I too am a humble beginner)...yes, people make mistakes and can interpret the cards incorrectly sometimes. Also, I am a subscriber to the ever popular phrase "everything happens for a reason..." so, with that in mind, I would say that at that point in time when the "wrong" reading was either given/interpreted, it was meant to be as such. The querent was not supposed to know the outcome, because it was not in his/her best interests to know so at the time. Sorry if I am rambling a bit too much; it is late and I should not have had that cup of coffee at 7 PM..whoops.
I once did a reading for a friend here, and in a position about what else she needed to know about the future, the card literally told me that it refused to say, that she was not meant to know that right now, and that she would only be told when the timing was right.

Babs

sharpchick

If by bad, you mean that the Seeker doesn't like what the cards have to say, then yes, you can have a bad reading.

I have found the cards to be unfailingly accurate - even in readings for myself. There have been plenty of times when in essence the cards have told me, "As soon as you quit being so stubborn, things will turn around and you will have a good outcome. . ."

I have often wished I had a good sized horizontal surface that my cats (there are five of them) couldn't get to where I could leave multiple card spreads laid out for extended periods of time to really study them. As others have said, I've gone back in my reading journals weeks and months later, looked at a reading, and had a forehead smacking moment such as Silver_Skye described about her cat.