Tarot and Psychic Protection

jmd

In the thread Teaching children about tarot, thinbuddha & Phoenix Rising (posts 30 and 31) pick up a comment made in an earlier post (N°15) by Mystewood that in essence suggests that encouraging, or teaching, others to open up to using Tarot needs to be concomitantly enouraged, or taught, to developing and applying psychic protection.

The questions are legitimately placed as to what one is opening to that requires such protection, and whether it is in any manner needed.

Part of the answer will to a large extent depend on how one sees what tarot is and what takes place during readings.

Personally, I'm all for creating sacred spaces in which one is more attentive to subtleties one may not otherwise pay much attention to, and a closure of that same space or state as one 'returns' to everyday mundane awareness.

By creating special conditions, it also suggests that one is allowing a freer reign of certain insights, metaphors, and symbolic association.

The formal return to 'normal' consciousness also signals that certain states have their own special stature.

I would suggest that much has been written about preparing oneself in terms of spiritual 'protection', from the visualisation of bluish-white light descending from above, passing through us and grounding to the Earth's centre, to quite formal and what may appear complicated ritualistic preparations with invocations and prayers - Mouni Sadhu's suggestions, in Theurgy, come to mind as amongst the more extreme suggestions.

This raises various questions, the first of which is whether or not such is either necessary or beneficial.

I would suggest that for a child, the simple act of narrative development by activating the imaginative facutly given sequences of imagery certainly does not require such.

By contrast, I would suggest that for the adult who places him or herself in a special non-ordinary state of lucid imagination, a preparation and closure is of benefit: it prevents one, on the one hand, being carried by flights of fancy; and on the other provides a structural framework by which to efficiently pass through the threshold between everyday and divinatory consciousness.

This latter ('divinatory' consciousness) is of course not necessarily what one intends when reading the cards. After all, divination is often neither intent, nor practice. Still, I would suggest that often subtleties arise that makes one both more open, and hence more susceptible, to subtle influences from others and the world around us. The protection one draws also serves to maintain a clarity and 'cleanliness'.

I am sure I have raised more issues and concerns than I intended... so it could make for either an interesting thread, or a post that will quickly sink...

Alta

Interesting thoughts jmd.

I have also gradually come to realize that when entering divinatory states, afterwards it is very good practice to formally leave them. Not just walk away but cut the ties and leave.

Imagination is, to my experience, both powerful and a tool dangerous to the 'creator of worlds'. Such worlds have a powerful pull on the mind, though I do not of course know exactly why or how, just that they do.

I have been reading Mary Greer's book, 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, and have been mostly benefitting from it. The night before last however I came to Chapter 18, Imagination. (How fitting, number of The Moon). I was taken aback at what she was recommending without enough comment or preparation. She did, I was pleased to note, frame the path with proper entry and exit practices but part of me, from experience, knew that it was not enough for the unprepared person. And, in Appendix E, she gave an example of a difficult and potentially powerful visualization around the Empress card. Complete with GD references which I presume folks could find on the 'net and use without understanding.

Her book is beyond elegant and very subtle and interlaced, and I believe that mostly she has taken care.

Going back to the subject of children, I agree that it depends on the use the children are making of the cards. If they are using them like any picture for imaginative play excursions, I see no difficulty. I assume that no parent who knows enough about tarot practices to even use cards would teach children serious practices without preparation. As jmd notes, even simple preparations could be of great help, plus help (one hopes) prepare a child for a lifetime of connectness and mental balance and calm.

Like jmd, I am not too sure how much is enough on this subject. It seems foolish to wave some banner of danger, when you can use the cards simply and effectively for years without the slightest need for any such. Any magical practioner learns these are part of their training anyway (I assume).

I think it is prudent when, for example, 'entering a card' as is commonly recommended here that the person follow careful entry and exit procedures including closing off and thanking.

Like jmd, I am unsure if this is interesting or should die quietly but just to add some thoughts.

Deana

For what my kids use the Tarot for, no psychic protection is necessary. It "sounded" like Mystewood was trying to be inflammatory so I ignored the post (maybe the post wasn't meant that way, but the tone sounded patronizing in my head when I read it).

I do not use the Tarot cards as one would use a Ouija board. I would not use a Ouija board.

I do not get all hyper about psychic protection because being paranoid about it makes people imagine all sorts of psychic attacks. I've seen it happen. As soon as someone gets interested in "psychic protection" next thing you know they're "realizing" that all the bad stuff that ever happened in their lives was because of psychic attacks and curses. I've seen people get all worked up over these sorts of things, and I believe in most cases they were imagining it.

I *do* cast a protective circle around my home daily and have done so since the day I moved in. I *do* periodically do a space blessing throughout my home. The way I look at it, psychic boogeymen are not allowed in, period, Tarot or no.

Phoenix Rising

Good discussion JMD.

When one feels they need protecting because there are Nasties out there, they open themselves up for the attack..they have created a clink in there armour at just the thought of it. Although, I have heard alot of people have had some nasty experiences, especially ones who have dabbled with Ouji boards. It's not that I disagree that one should not protect themselves..just knowing that you have done a protection ritual of some sort brings a "Great sense of relief" The mind is a powerful, actually the most powerful asset we have.

Just talking from my own experience..I just know I am protected, without having ever done any sort of protection ritual..In the healing work that I did, I have encountered alot of spiritual experiences..those from the otherside..I suppose working with "love" energy has created that automatic protection...frankly I just never thought that I needed it. My teacher said "If you think you need protecting when you're giving love and healing to your fellow human, then you shouldn't be doing it"

Although I would do a protection ritual for my children....only that it gives me a sense of peace...my oldest son has recently had a couple of incidences, not with spooks or anything..but humans..so whatever I give with strong intention in their protection is the best that I can do, while I'm not there to look after him...but somethings in life, I guess they will have to experience and we all wish that no harm comes to them.

Whatever way you feel gives "protection" then go for it...Just you knowing that you have done something to protect yourself is the best shield..You only have to believe it..and it's there.

manhattan9thgate

protection!? protection against what!?

Deana

Phoenix Rising said:
When one feels they need protecting because there are Nasties out there, they open themselves up for the attack..they have created a clink in there armour at just the thought of it.

I completely agree.

thinbuddha

I am still left shrugging. I suppose that JMD's post was only inspired by (rather than a direct response to) my post in the other thread, so there is no obligation to address my questions in that post- but I was refered to this post by Mystewood to serve as an answer to my questions, but the post doesn't do except in a very oblique way.

So the questions I have for anyone who cares to attempt an answer:

What or who am I protecting myself from?
What might happen if I don't protect myself?
How would I know I was being attacked?
What are the sob stories of the people who don't take measures to protect themselves?
How do you know you are more vulnerable than you are normally?

JMD's post talks (mostly) about threats that come from within such as lack of concentration. He also talks about the very real (non protective) benefits to intorducing a sense of ritual to your readings and meditations. Certainly there is benefit to finding a way to reach the correct state of mind, of this there is no question. But what I really haven't seen addressed (why, how, from whom etc) is the whole issue of "protection".

What I'm looking for is someone who will come right out and say what it is they are afraid of that is comming from an external source.

-tb

Alta

I was not talking about threats from external sources, or 'entities', as I think you could see from my post. These are mental states. 'Protection' as I was saying was concerned with taking step-wise mental care (of yourself) when entering and leaving these semi-trance states. It is to ensure that you leave them completely.

I had an idea this might be misinterpreted, but thought I would try. Possibly I didn't express it well. I was not trying to throw up some boogey-man concept.

You can be a wonderful tarot reader without ever attempting to 'enter a card' or anything else of that ilk. I did not mean any offense. My main point was that Mary Greer's book and many threads here encourage this practice without explaining it.

Northwind

thinbuddha said:
I am still left shrugging.
What I'm looking for is someone who will come right out and say what it is they are afraid of that is comming from an external source.

-tb

You might get someone to do that but what would that really mean? It would simply be someone's belief or experience and it is hard to argue with that.

My personal belief is that the most powerful devils are within and we project them out. We are deluded and influenced most strongly by our own fears but it might take a life time to see that.

And, of course, some will simply say I'm wrong :D. But, for me, I'm not .... thereby demonstrating my original point.

firemaiden

To me the concept of psychic "protection" sounds most absurd, however I must admit that on occasion when I have awoken in the night from very bad dreams, I have taken upon my person the wooden cross my Catholic boyfriend left behind.

I do not believe in the cross, and I do not believe in the demons, but if my imagination is going to carry on making up miseries while I sleep, then best to fight the imagination with the imagination. And so the cross acted as an imaginary protection for imaginary demons.

If we go past the place where "belief" or "disbelief" are even relevant- and leave off defending the inside-ness vs. outside-ness of attacking entities, then the issue remains, how to keep our sanity and stability in the face of frightening experiences.

Common sense tells me that however deep we venture into psychic realms it would be good to at least keep one foot on terra firma at all times, or if not possible, then retain a line to the surface with another person holding the end, as with deep sea divers, who retain a link to their boat at the surface.