Evolution of Tarot Beginners before the tarot itself

Isaacrpgr

Okay,so titles not so clear but I said this walredy there is supposed to be an Article floating round on the net that says "Many Tarot readers who are children/teens go onto tarot from TCG(Trading Card Games) such as Pokemon,Yugioh,Magic: The Gathering,I am one of them,enchanted to pokemon due to the creatures and same reson for yugioh but the Egpytology also intrigued.And Magic being the closest to The Mthys I enjoy.

So many here have come to tarot when they got bored with TCG's,I for one am One,I know how to play the following

Pokemon
Yugioh
Vs. System
Magic:The Gathering
etc

also What are the similarties between TCGS to Tarot considering they can be used as non-tarot divination

Views,Slander,criticisim,competence all welcome

floracove

My kids love the pokemon and yugioh cards, and one nephew is a real enthusist with these.
I've wondered about this same issue with them and those cards...

Alta

Could be. Some folks here can use cards like that, the Clow Cards come to mind, as divination tools. Just being used to handling cards, and examining them for symbols could be a starting place. I guess you are proof it is possible.

Isaacrpgr

Heh,I always looked at the patron of Orochi wrong first

Everytime I glanced at it it looked as though it was a big green giant with a yellow-green waste jacket

whereas its just two huge grass snakes curling around mountains

I would link but my browsers tottaly messed up,it dosn't let me copy things from the net

Just Google an Image of it
it has a lot of writing and a green border at the back

Niti

I've heard the same argument made about other games, such as poker. "People get into poker because they get bored of their trading card games".

I'm sure some people do make the transition from one card 'game' to another (although I do not consider tarot a 'game' really), and this can be a love of pokemon cards or a love of bridge, transformed into a love of tarot.

I personally never played any TCGs before tarot. I did collect pokemon cards when I was really little, but that's becuase it was the 'cool' thing to do. Also, they were cute :)

Everyone has their reasons for coming to pick up a set of tarot cards and try reading them, and I suspect that the percentage who transitioned from the games you mentioned to tarot is no bigger than the percentage who, for example, had a deck passed onto them from their grandmother or aunt.

...That said, if you are looking at a certain age group - teens and children, only...I would say this article is probably true. BUT you might not like my reason for saying so:

Most teens/children are not likely to get into tarot, at least until later in life, because they are afraid of what their friends/family will think. It isn't cool or 'normal' to be into the occult, and a lot of teens/children are a bit too concerned with not doing anything 'abnormal'.

However...the kids who play TCGs, if you will forgive me for saying so, are usually not in the 'normal' crowd(s) at school. They are the same kids that are seen playing D&D, mmorpgs, and reading scifi books while walking down the halls. They are, usually, the kids on the outskirts, those who others refer to as 'weird', 'dorky', 'quirky' or some variation of this theme. Because everyone has already decided they are not 'cool', they probably feel more free to explore 'weird' and 'uncool' things, such as tarot cards.

Furthermore, people who are into these TCGs are probably more likely than the average person to have an interest in that which is seen as magical...because, well, the card games revolve around special powers and whatnot, don't they?

Anyway, I'm sorry, I realize I've made some sweeping generalizations here, and said some things that might offend, so I'm very sorry if I did, as that was not my intent.

Other than that, I can't say much on the similarities between tarot and TCG cards, except, maybe, you learn to look at pictures in corrospondance with specific cards, their meanings, the powers involved, etc...skills also used in tarot. As I have never played any TCGs, I can't go much deeper than that.

euripides

I'm guessing this article is from some religious group suggesting that because of this 'slippery slope' that children shouldn't be allowed TCGs?

I personally didn't encourage Pokemon and YuGiOh because looking at the cartoons, they seemed like poorly made merchandising vehicles. I also know grown adults spending fortunes on these 'collectable' cards that are really worth very little.

As for the possibilities of trading cards and divination.... absolutely! We have some Neopets cards. The 'pets' are divided into elemental groups - fire, air, water, earth I think - and while I suspect the historical context of the neopets mythology is a bit arbitrary at times (not as well researched as it might be) there are many rich themes which have potential for divination. I think it would probably only work well for you if you got right into the Neopets mythology and could then draw analogies from that system to 'real life'.

They are often really lovely images, some of the neopets Fairies are gorgeous. There are themes of good and evil... its a whole other world (complete with its share of capitalist greed and sheer stupidity....)

cheers
Euri

Isaacrpgr

I don't know where it came from but I dfon't think it was a religious article and it seems there was a survey or sumthing with it as well

Actually Niti,It seems like you had a pretty acurate hit on that

As for Neopets,Mythology?

Isaacrpgr

No,It looked a bit simple but when you said not the "mythoilgy" i well-reseacrched enough,i thought you meant they were based off dragons,cats,sphinx,snake and sorts from legends

ahah,i just read bout jeran,I never before seen my family name(Darigan) newhere,i went searching for it,could never find anything.

Papageno

Isaacrpgr said:
Okay,so titles not so clear but I said this walredy there is supposed to be an Article floating round on the net that says "Many Tarot readers who are children/teens go onto tarot from TCG(Trading Card Games) such as Pokemon,Yugioh,Magic: The Gathering,I am one of them,enchanted to pokemon due to the creatures and same reson for yugioh but the Egpytology also intrigued.And Magic being the closest to The Mthys I enjoy.

So many here have come to tarot when they got bored with TCG's,I for one am One,I know how to play the following

Pokemon
Yugioh
Vs. System
Magic:The Gathering
etc

also What are the similarties between TCGS to Tarot considering they can be used as non-tarot divination

Views,Slander,criticisim,competence all welcome

can you provide a link please?

the overall tone of that sounds negative, but I could be wrong, so we should see an article first hand.

the tone sounds very ultra right fundamentalist , the people who feel threatened by Harry Potter and Catcher in The Rye.

the message sounds to me like the the anti drug ads, ie. start off with pot and move on to the heavy stuff.