Are Tarot Decks actually ALIVE? 'Cause mine have personalities...

Gemini Rising

Hi everyone!

After recently starting up with Tarot again using my new Hanson-Roberts deck, I noticed something interesting--all three of my decks have completely different personalities! I know they're inanimate, but it's the only way I can describe it!

So far the only experience I had before my HR deck was my Myers Art Nouveau, my first deck. I also have the Gilded, but I never really connected to the deck and found it impossible for me to read with...so I ultimately gave up on it and continued to read with the Myers deck. However, I'm noticing that as I'm reading with my HR deck, I'm noticing that they are so different to read with. I never noticed it until then because the Gilded simply never worked for me.

My Myers deck took a while to warm up to me. It took several failed readings before it decided to open up to me. Even then, it always seemed elusive and mysterious--sometimes it would give me answers, other times not, but it always seemed like I was always falling short of what the deck was trying to tell me. It almost spoke in riddles and would give me a hint. Despite this, I did get very successful readings from it, but it's still very shy.

The Gilded? Hah! Ever meet someone that you just didn't click with for no reason and neither of you got along? Well, that's me and the Gilded. I loved the artwork and still do, but I'll never read with it--we're just simply not on the same frequency.

It was interesting how I met the HR... I didn't find it, IT found ME! I was browsing a gift shop in New York City, and I was drawn to a shelf, and hidden away in a corner was the HR deck. For some reason, I felt compelled to buy it, even though in its packaging I couldn't see what the cards looked like at all and had no idea what I was getting. And I figured, "Eight bucks, I'm going to leave it there?" (I'm half Jewish.) So I took it home and instantly fell in love--it was like the deck was reaching out and giving me a big hug! I really connected with the bright, happy images that seemed to be simple and detailed at the same time. It took no time at all for me to get clear readings from it--we did have to do a little small talk with one or two-card readings to get to know each other before we got into deeper conversations with CC's. It almost seemed like it was SPEAKING to me, and the cards were interacting and working with each other to give me overall messages--something that the Art Nouveau never did. What also struck me was how SIMPLISTIC its messages were--the Art Nouveau always had hidden answers, deeper meanings, something it wasn't telling me. It is amazing how direct and LITERAL this deck is, making it so fun to read with! It's like we connected the second we met and we've been best friends ever since!

I'm sorry if this was a little lengthy, but I just think that it's fascinating that I have such a connection with 80 little pieces of paper (I didn't want to offend the two blank cards...), and it's almost like they have human qualities to them...I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experiences?

Love always,
~Nicky

Sinduction

It's funny because the only deck that likes me is my Gilded. :) I bought it as a present to myself for not smoking for two weeks. I think it will always be my favorite deck.

Every other deck I own just hates me. My Vargo loves everyone else and will only let me read other people.

I must be half Jewish too because I can never leave a bargain behind!! I get all kinds of weird decks at the used bookstore. I can't pass up a deck for $5 as long as it has all the cards!!

Kalymura

I definitely agree with you, Gemini Rising. Decks do have personalities!

I've wondered about it before, trying to determine how much of it is me anthropomorphising the cards (based on the deck's theme, for example).

It can't all be me though, simply due to the spreads each gives - my Jonathan Dee deck is very literal. For example, the King of Wands always makes me laugh; it means exactly what it says *wiggles eyebrows* Whereas if I had used my Druidcraft deck, that same card might not have indicated the same person. For me the Druidcraft reveals personalities and emotions, not physical characteristics or events.

Similarly, due to the Jonathan Dee deck's personality, I now tend turn to it for practical advice -- so I guess I continually reinforce the deck's characteristics (in my mind, not metaphysically - I don't think).

Which came first the chicken or the egg? To me, it makes sense that different tools would pick up on different divinatory energies.

Alta

Yes, apparently even the various Marseille decks have 'flavours', which I would prefer to 'personalities'.

I am not sure what we respond to or why, but certainly though there are background meanings to the cards, the layering of colour, image, cardstock and general feel of each deck does give the readings a different quality. It is a reason why I enjoy reading with a variety of decks. Keeps my mind interested and exploratory.

Anna

I do not believe tarot decks are alive.

Bits of paper are not capeable of likeing or hating or having personalities.

The magic comes from us, not from the cards.

Keldor

I wouldn't say they're alive, but from what I heard they do seem tp have an intelligence to them, as Aleister Crowley thought and plus we fuse our personality on them as well.

Fairawen

Ah, Nicky... now you begin to understand why there are so many here at AT who collect decks. Each one is like meeting a new person; some could be lifelong friends, others lifelong enemies... but each is an experience unto itself. :)

My Hudes and I.... ah, we were in love. :lol: Til I met my Hudes I didn't know how people could be so into collecting decks... my mini Fairy Tarots had a shaky semi-friendship, and I had another deck whose name escapes me, whom I looked at once and hid from view ever after (and it had kind images too... dunno what it was, but I hated it... ugh...) But then... oh, when my Hudes arrived, it was just... *sigh* We went on long walks together, shared intellectual tidbits with one another. It was beautiful.

But then, of course, all my decks were burned in my parent's witch hunt. :( :( :( All but my RRW (which, coincidentally, I had had the strange urge to hide under my pillow instead of in the box under my bed with the others an hour before the great burn). Well, my RRW is a survivor. Me and it have a stronger bond now (we were just sorta blase' before)... with the destruction of it's mates, it seems to value it's existence a bit more, as do I. :p

In short, no, I some how doubt that tarot decks are alive... or, to put it more complicatedly, it's about as alive as your car. But many people claim their cars have personalities of their own. I know that the only one who can whip my sister's car into getting her decent gas mileage is my sister... it gets lazy if it has another driver. :p Let's not forget that it's radio tends to play a song pertaining to her thoughts... over and over and over (we'll literally hear the song play 5-6 times in one car ride... and not necissarily popular songs, either).

So, yeah. My two cents. :) Is the deck alive? No. But a thing doesn't need to live, breathe and think for us to see personality in it.

~A~

Gemini Rising

Haha, I think everyone might have misunderstood my post... of course I know decks aren't alive, but I do think it's fascinating how they seem to have a mind of their own sometimes, and DO have personalities, flavors, or whatever you would like to call them. I'd love to go out and collect decks, but unfortunately my mom and I are in such a deep financial situation we can barely afford to keep the lights on the table!

I'm also glad I'm not the only one... I was beginning to think I was going crazy for a while, hehe.

VGimlet

I am with you. Even though - yes, they are just ink and paper. Whatever the reason, (reflections of my personality, vivid imagination, blah blah) I have found some of them do have personalities.

The Thoth tends to be some what over dramatic. And a bit of a smart aleck.
Gilded is blunt - sometimes a little overly blunt. It just tells it like it is, and no candy coating.
The Visconti Sforza gives very intelligent, elegant readings.

I have several other decks that seem to have personalities, but those really stand out.

Umbrae

Sure they're paper and ink.

And bits of DNA left behind by each sitter, and ourselves.

And when the images pass through our eyes - the magic really happens...

And we imbue a bit of ourselves into each deck.

Are they alive? I don't think they are in the usual sense of alive, I don't think they have souls, or are sentient. But after awhile…

I had this one deck for 29 years. For those years it was my only deck. We’d been together from the beginning, and that baby would get up and sing. I miss her.

I have a whole lot more decks now that she’s gone, and each one sings a tad differently. So I pick up and carry, what seems to be singing in tune with me (on a given day).

Right now I’m signing C/H Thoth, with occasional choruses from the Lunatic. Waiting on the Florney Noblet – cuz sometimes nothin’ but JS Bach will do…

(I really like Invention 14)