Looking for feedback from AT members re: my use of ED's

jenessa

Heres what i see, tho i'm no expert. I do however, always "consider" elemental juxtaposition whenever i read. Thing is, i ALWAYS read with reversals. << I see no reason to "stop" using reversals, just because i also want to consider card placement/"positioning".

So even tho i consider ED's, i do so primarily in order to try & determine whether the "card meaning" (which could be upright OR reversed): is being enhanced, and as such would be more powerful & dominant in the reading ... or: vice-versa, in the sense that the card meaning is diminished & as such would have less significance to the overall reading.

Or in otherwords, i use ED's in the following manner:
Friendly interactions = energies of the card are more powerful & dominant in the reading
Neutral interactions = intermediate or normal strength and influence on the reading
Unfriendly interactions = energies of the card are weaker & have less influence on the situation

So for me its all about using ED's to try & determine how much "INFLUENCE" any given card has on the situation in question. *However, this is not the only way to use ED's. But this way of reading ED's is my preference, given that this technique enables me to look @ whether the cards' energy is: blocked, flowing easily, or being enhanced or diminished.

Position 1: Toxicology Report. What poisons you? (Ace of Pentacles)
-- What poisons you is that you are resisting opportunities that are being presented to you.
-- YOU have read this card as ill-dignified given its juxtaposition .. (or in otherwords, because of it's positioning next to the Ace of Swords).

Position 2: The 'Y' Cut. What opens your heart? (Ace of Swords)
-- What opens your heart is your ability to communicate in effective ways.
-- Under this influence you can cut through just about any situation to get to the bottom of things.
-- YOU have read the "positive aspects" of this card, as would i given that i tend to think of the card in the middle as the "principle" .. whereas the cards on either side of the centre card are considered to be "modifiers".
-- Note: The Ace of Swords IS the principle card re: the 1st. 3 cards of this spread.

Position 3: Gastric Contents. What's eating away at you? (Three of Swords)
-- What's eating away at you is something that is really bothering you deep down to the core. This situation is causing you great sadness and heartbreak. You may "feel" that what you are going through now is never going to end.
-- YOU have read this card as well dignified, as i would, given it's placement next to the Ace of Swords.
-- Because this card is well-dignified, the energy of this modifer is being enhanced in relation to the 1st. principle.
-- Or in otherwords, Positions 2&3 show Friendly Interaction, therefore the energies of the cards are more powerful & "dominant in the reading".

Now allow me to back-track to consider the relationship of the cards in Positions 1&2.
-- Here we have a Coin/Sword juxtaposition .. so card 1 is ill-dignified in relation to card 2 >> and as such you modified the meaning of card 1.
-- & Because this card is ill-dignified, its energy is being blocked.
-- [For me the Ace Coins represents a "doorway to make progress", however in this context, this doorway is being blocked!!]
-- Also for your info.: a Coin/Sword combination commonly denotes:
seperation/or obstacles to overcome.

** NOTE: its important to remember to read the cards in groups of three, so that the outer 2 cards can be read as well or ill dignified in relation to the centre/principle card. Or in otherwords, IF you modify a card "meaning" based on its elemental juxtaposition, you will literally be modifying the modifer .. NOT the primary card.

Next lets have another look @ Positions 2&3. Here we have a friendly juxtaposition re: Sword/Sword. So the active energy is enhanced, which may suggest either an unstable situation OR the ability to counter any negative aspects.
-- I feel that the later would apply to this reading, given that the primary card is an Ace which traditionally is empowering. Not to mention that in its role as the primary card, the meaning of the Ace remains constant/(is not modified). So as the ace of swords represents a break-thru, i think this applies in the sense that this can be interpreted to suggest that the querent has the ability to counter/(literally break thru) any negative aspects illustrated by the reading.

So what i see in these 1st. three cards .. is that cards 2&3 are the most dominant in the reading. This is because as Greycats pointed-out, this reading has a series of alternating Pentacles and Swords (Earth & Air) which are not friendly to each other. However, in cards 2&3/(sword/sword) we see friendly interaction. << Indeed this is the ONLY pairing of cards that is friendly within the context of this spread. Further to which & as i pt.'d-out, friendly interaction suggests that these cards are the most dominant in the reading.

Further to which, The Ace of Swords is also the strongest card in this spread. (note: i was wrong in my 1st. post c/o: using tarot cards forum, because @ that time i'd thot the 3 swords was the strongest in this spread .. oops !! .. thats what i get for not "laying-out" the cards & trying to do stuff in my head). As the strongest card in this spread, the qualities of the Ace are the most "influential".

Note: there is a "subtle distinction" between dominant and influential energy .. in that altho both the ace swords & 3 swords can be seen as dominate & therefore "important" energies re: the situation, this is not quite the same thing as identifying a card as being more "influential" in a spread. Or in otherwords, this later distinction suggests that the card is not only of importance, but ALSO indicates that the reason for its importance is because the card has the ability to influence the balance of power in the reading &/or otherwise effect the natural direction the situation will take.

Position 4: DNA Report. Who are you? / Your identity (Ten of Pentacles)
-- What YOU see is a woman here who has everything that would make anyone happy. But there is something about the look on her face that makes it seem like she isn't as happy as she should be. She looks like she is just going through the motions so to speak, and all of these riches aren't pleasing her. She feels like she is missing something that is the missing piece to making her happy.
-- YOU have read this card the way I read the QN. Coins reversed.
-- So altho you have read this card as ill-dignified, i see a different meaning for the 10/this card.
-- For me 10 Coins ill dignified can be read to suggest: a situation or condition that is not going to last.
-- So in the context of its positional meaning, this could suggest that you are someone who is @ a pt. in their life where they are experiencing a time of that which is NOT permanent.
-- OR: This card can suggest family misfortune. So you could be a person who has experienced this.
-- Whatever its meaning, the card in position 4/(10 Coins) needs to be read as ill-dignified, given its juxtaposition >> next to (3 Swords/position 3).
-- Also note: with card 4 we see a reoccuring theme, in that this card shows us the "alternating series of unfriendly pairings" in the suits of coins & swords.

In addition to which & insofar as this cycle continues, an unfriendly juxtaposition (such as earth TO air), would emphasise the negative quality of the card to which it applies. So as the card in position 4 shows this unfriendly juxtaposition, this will have the effect of enhancing the negative aspects of 3 swords. Or in otherwords, the card being EFFECTED by card 4 is its' predecessor. So the pairing of card 4 TO card 3 has the effect of enhancing the negative qualities found in the 3 of Swords

Further to which and as you've indicated .. 3 swords tends to suggest that you may feel that what you are going through is never going to end. In addition to which, AND as this negative quality is being enhanced by virtue of it's being ill-dignified, this would indeed point to some kind of persistent or lingering distress.

HOWEVER, we also have to consider that altho unfriendly interactions have the effect of enhancing a cards' negative qualities re: card meaning ... unfriendly interactions ALSO suggest that the energy of the card is weaker & thus will have less influence on the situation.

& Herein lies another distinction, in that there is a subtle difference between a cards quality/(meaning) and the cards energy re: the effect it will have on the situation. Or in otherwords, we have to consider BOTH the cards' quality/"meaning", as well as how the cards "energy" will manifest.

And in this instance, altho the negative aspect of card 3 is being emphasized, it is possible to read card 4 in such a way so as to arrive @ an interpretation that would suggest that this lingering/persistent distress will lessen.
-- [Or in otherwords, card 4 lessens the "influence" of card 3].
-- So card 4 is tricky, because altho it emphasizes the negative "quality" of card 3, it also weakens the "energy" of card 3.

Furthermore, its important to remember that in this instance, card 4 is ill-dignified by virtue of being next to card 3, and as such 10 Coins can be read to suggest: a condition or situation that is not going to last. << AND this card meaning clearly supports the effect this card is having on the principle, which in this instance/(card set) is 3 swords. Or in otherwords, i'd interpret the effect to be such that any lingering/persistent distress should diminish.
Sorry if i haven't stated that very well, but whenever a card meaning is a good fit re: using ED's to determine the cards influence on the situation, i think this literally pretty much says it all.

Now before i continue, i just want to point-out that i NEVER read ED's in a straight line, but rather i prefer to work with groups of 3. So i either use a 3 card spread, or 3 rows of 3, or a basic 5 card cross which can be read as a vertical row of 3 or a horizontal row of 3 cards.

Further to which & as i'm not familiar with reading this way, i'm finding it difficult to "consider" ED's as a straight line & as such am gonna end this rather abruptly. This has taken alot longer than i expected, altho i did enjoy working thru it. But then again as i can't see myself ever reading ED's in anything other than groupings of 3, i think i have gotten all i'm going to get out this exercise .. altho i hope i have been of some help.

& As far as YOUR observation re: there being a "lack of the fire element" in this spread, i would tend to agree that it looks like this situation is going to take a long time to move out of due to the missing push of fire. << Indeed, this spread seems to stress the lingering aspects of something. However, i can't help but think that the Ace Swords offers the opportunity to get past this.

I'm not familar with this spread either, but if i was reading the cards & just looking for a "message" i'd see the Magician as another good sign, given that under this infuence the querent has the ability to manipulate the situation to suit their ends. Not to mention, but as the Magician has the ability to "command" the 4 Elements, altho the element of fire is missing, i see this card as both empowering & as offering advice.

Hmmn, an interesting throw .. tho i don't know what to make of this spread. However & as far as the last card >> How are you changing?/(Ten of Cups), as this is well-dignified it could suggest that you needs will be met .. &/or that your moving towards a more *peaceful environment.

jenessa

looking for feedback from AT members re: my use of ED's

Hi there, i thot i'd try & resurrect this thread, given that i'm curious as to whether anyone has any feedback re: my post/attempt to work thru this spread using ED's ??

I'm curious as to whether the way i've applied ED's is plausible? OR did i miss the mark where this is concerned?

Any feedback much appreciated!!