Tarot in the movies

Lleminawc

I was watching Hideous Kinky last night and noticed Kate Winslett's character giving a tarot reading quite early on in the film. She seemed to be using a hand-painted deck - I guess mass-produced cards weren't so easy to come by in the early 70s.

The only other Tarot readings in movies I can think of off the top of my head are in Celine et Julie vont en bateau, and that splendid old British horror flick Dr Terror's House of Horrors. It's funny though how the same cards always come up - the Hanged Man, the Tower and of course XIII.

Debra

Lleminawc said:
She seemed to be using a hand-painted deck - I guess mass-produced cards weren't so easy to come by in the early 70s.

We used to chisel them on stone back then. Hard to shuffle, though.

mollymawk

Debra said:
We used to chisel them on stone back then. Hard to shuffle, though.

LOL

Actually, I think there's a list of Tarot in TV and movies over at TarotTotes.

The original Dark Shadows series used to have quite a lot of tarot in it (yes, my age is showing).

SarahRose

Ah, it's been a while since I saw that.

Love Kate. She's my favorite.

lunalafey

More Dogs Than Bone. What a cute movie too. The only time (if memory serves me right) you see the cards here is when one of the characters gets hit by a bus and his case opens and all the cards fly out.
The same character, earlier in the movie offers a reading and then tells about one that he did for himself. I think it was 3 cards, can't recall exactly which ones but I do remember that the take on the cards was viable and not some made up garbage by someone who has no clue. And I do scrutinize tarot on film.
Oh and when he got hit by the bus, it was not the Death card that fell on the guys face, but the Wheel of Fortune. I was pleased for it was a very fitting card for the scene.....watch the movie.

Debra

Thanks for the tip.

You all can forget about seeing "Scoop"--there's about a total of ten seconds of tarot--the plot involves the search for a "tarot card killer" but there's no tarot in it except a quick glance at a Marseille deck. Woody Allen plays a nebbish.

Disa

I did just see The Red Violin, which I loved, though it wasn't as much Tarot as I thought it would be. I would love someone to shed light on why the tarot reader said what she did with the first card- but don't want to give it away.

I also saw "Scoop" which was more comedy than anything else. Not great comedy, either.

Miren

I agree, Disa, the first card confused me a bit. Of course, meanings change...but it seemed so random. I wonder where the script-writers got it.

tarotreader2007

Does anyone have a ringing name like Paul McCartney in their head? This might be tricky (or not) based on his "role" with 'tarot cards'. I know we got a list of movies that molly posted but can anyone think of the movie I'm thinking of??? Hmm...

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

blackstormhawk

mollymawk said:
The original Dark Shadows series used to have quite a lot of tarot in it (yes, my age is showing).

Wow! My age too ... I remember Grayson Hall, who was the psychiatrist in the 'modern day' episodes, doing Tarot readings with what I remember being a TdM, during one of the Flashback in Time segments ...