Tarot in the movies

yaraluna

anyone knows what deck was used for the Red Violin movie?

yara

Debra

Jeannette from Tarot Garden says the deck was made as a stage prop.

mollymawk

blackstormhawk said:
Wow! My age too ... I remember Grayson Hall, who was the psychiatrist in the 'modern day' episodes, doing Tarot readings with what I remember being a TdM, during one of the Flashback in Time segments ...

And if they ever re-run it, I would actually be tempted to buy a television set! I loved that show.

Lleminawc

mollymawk said:
LOL

Actually, I think there's a list of Tarot in TV and movies over at TarotTotes.

I just checked it out - they've got Dr Terror but not the other two movies I mentioned. As for TV shows, there was an episode of Robin of Sherwood that featured the TdM, somewhat anachronistically as it was set around the turn of the 13th century. Even more of an anachronism, the cards were given Kabbalistic names.

We also had a kids' programme here in the UK called Ace of Wands, of which I can sadly remember no more than the title and the name of the leading character, a young wizard called Tarot.

Miren

I was just watching an episode of NCIS, "Jeopardy" (season 3) and Abby does a tarot reading while waiting for her mass spectrometer to finish its work. She comes up with death, appropriate, since someone's been kidnapped. Also kinda cliche. But it was cool to see. :)

DraagonStorm

A little off subject, but Dark Shadows is availble on DVD. There are, I think, 23 or 24 volumns (can't remember right now), of 4 dvd(s) per volumn; and 10 episodes per dvd.

And my local library has every single one!!!!!

I'm going thru them, and reliving my youth! :)

DraagonStorm

darcellbishadow

OMG. You have no idea how creepy it is to watch ya'll reminesce. My mom compares my Buffy the Vampire Slayer to that Dark Shadows show. Totally not the same thing! However, she will be thrilled to hear that it's out on DVD. I may actually have to fight her for the TV now.

Speaking of tarot on TV, I recently read a novel (based off Buffy the Vampire Slayer) that involved a tarot reader. Xander pushes Buffy out of the way of an oncoming construction supply truck and believes he has become psychic. He is angry that Giles and Buffy refuse to acknowledge this, and seeks comfort in a tarot reader that has recently come to town. I think her name was Justine, but I won't swear to it. However, this Justine is plotting to destroy Willow, and is using her tarot cards to cast spells on her and Xander. I distinctly remember that the Tower card came up in one of her readings and that Death came up as well. Now that I think on it, kinda cliche. I remember that Justine interpreted the Tower as the fall of a person (Willow) from standing, but I don't remember her interpretation of the Death card. Probably actual physical death. Whoever wrote the novel probably had at least some rudimentary knowledge of the tarot.

Now that I read back over this post, it reads like a soap opera.

mollymawk

Well, in the Buffy series, Tara used to read--that was the Cosmic. Drusilla had this really trippy pack that looked like it was a cross between the Giant RWS and a prop deck.

Possibly a few more tarot references in that show, I wouldn't be surprised. I do have most of that one courtesy of bittorent, and my local library doesn't have Dark Shadows--aarrgghh.

HearthCricket

OMG....I just loved Dark Shadows and had such fun while it was on the Sci-fi channel, reliving my childhood. I can't believe we raced home from school to watch this show and were allowed to, at age 7+! The only person who really scared me was Gabriel. He was so pyscho! I actually thought The Munsters were far more scary looking and acting! Barnabas just seemed so natural, like there ought to be vampires around biting people's necks every now and then! LOL

But back to tarot. I loved the scenes when they pulled out the decks. Grayson Hall playing Doctor Julia Hoffman reading her tarot at the little table in the parlour and also as Madga the gypsy. I wonder what ever happened to that deck??!!