I think I am a negative reader ...

MissCW

I was just wondering if anyone else feels like I do, that I tend to see the negative more in spreads than I do positive!!

For example, if I see a 10, like 10 of Cups, I don't immediately see the pinnacle of love and happiness etc, I see emotional endings.

Why do I do this? And how can I stop doing it?!

Does anyone else do this. Go on, admit it and make me feel better for being a half empty cup than a half full! ;)

Miren

Um, I sometimes do it too. I think it's important to be honest and go with your gut. Some ideas of tarot intuition would say that you and your cards "know" each other, and so they don't flash the 10 Cups when they're trying to be positive.

I'd definitely use caution when reading for others, try to figure out how much to say. Also, when I get what I believe is a bad card, I look at it and try to see any nuances with its number, position, and other cards. This can help confirm or redefine the card. Then I feel better about explaining it.

Imagemaker

I don't think you have to stop doing that :)

If you consistently do readings that turn out wrong, that's different. But if you're true to yourself and can figure out when the pessimistic interpretation is NOT right, then you can still be an accurate and consistent reader.

Working with the cards helps you work with your world view of things, and over time, you'll see yourself grow and develop. Maybe the pessimism will fade, maybe it won't.

Take notes on your readings and study them over time to find when and where positives show themselves.

6 Haunted Days

Perhaps you have a more "negative" or I should say melancholy view of life, and that affects your reading. After your beliefs and viewpoint on life is going to affect everything! I wouldn't call it a negative viewpoint so much if you're just noticing the sad or bittersweet aspects of cards. I do this a lot myself, and I always put it down to how I view things and who I am. It's not doom and gloom so much as a sweet melancholy.

Papageno

perhaps you're just meant to be that kind of reader, at least now, and that will probably change. maybe you have a built in Greek Chorus :laugh:.
I don't see what the problem is unless you're readings are going way off course.
you're perceptions have a flow and at this moment in time this is where it's taking you.

Chronata

It happens to me when I read for myself. All I can see is how every card has a negative aspect.

Which is why I don't read for myself.

Do you do this when you read for other people as well? Try it and see.

It may just be a case of objectivity.

Allure

I come from a background of depression and being pessimistic. When I started it was hard for me to accept good readings. It was always "this is too good to be true" or "this must have a reversed meaning." I had to consciously change my world view. Now I think I get the appropriate message. Not saying this is your deal. Just sharing...

Baccus93

One thing I have learned in Astrology studies and Psychology, which I have been able to generalize into my Tarot studies, is that when you see an obstacle, this is actually a challenge to grow. So don't necessarily change your view if you find that you are seeing negative information, simply add what can be done with this opportunity to grow.

SunChariot

MissCW said:
I was just wondering if anyone else feels like I do, that I tend to see the negative more in spreads than I do positive!!

For example, if I see a 10, like 10 of Cups, I don't immediately see the pinnacle of love and happiness etc, I see emotional endings.

Why do I do this? And how can I stop doing it?!

Does anyone else do this. Go on, admit it and make me feel better for being a half empty cup than a half full! ;)

What you see in the cards will reflect your view of life, how you see the world. We all see through the veil of our own personalities and how we see the world. That being said it is not a problem in reading as long as your readings are accurate. But if you are seeing life this way in general it seems to me that you might enjoy it more learning to see things more positively and it could be something to work on in that sense, for yourself....just my thoughts.

Personally, I'm to opposite, I have trouble seeing something bad in the cards and when I do I can always see good coming from it in the long run, in the sense of what I learnt from the unpleasant expereince making me stronger, and how that will improve my life later on...and things like that.

Bar

darcellbishadow

Our personalities really do affect how we interpret the cards. For example, my friend Mac did a joint reading with me. We laid out our two decks in the same spreads to answer the same question. Interestingly enough, the same cards came up with but a couple variations. However, when we compared interpretations, they were astoundingly different. Her interpretations were listing all the things that WOULD happen, while my interpretations were about how the person we were reading for would FEEL about what would happen. So, really, it's no big deal. You see the world (and, as a result, the tarot) as a list of things that could hurt and go wrong. That's allright. I see the world/tarot as a list of things to be felt. :D Just keep reading and see what happens.