Bamboo?

wumpkie

Me again...:D Today from work I bought a small bamboo plant in a nice little rectangular pot and thought it would look nice in the bedroom the I realised the label said'lucky bamboo' I didn't know it was considered lucky, why is that?

Wumpkie :)

Summersweet

Why Is It Called "Lucky" Bamboo?

Along with its ease of growth, Lucky Bamboo has long been associated with the Eastern practice of Feng Shui - or the bringing of natural elements of water, fire, earth, wood and metal into balance within the environment. Lucky Bamboo is believed to be an ideal example of the thriving wood and water element, with the addition of a red ribbon sometimes tied around the stalks - which is believed to "fire" the positive flow of energy or chi in the room. The number of stalks also has meaning : three stalks for happiness; five stalks for wealth; six stalks for health. Four stalks, however, are always avoided - since the word "four" in Chinese sounds too similar to the Chinese word for "death"!

Thats what I found online :)

wumpkie

Mine has 18 stalks all bound together...lots of love, luckiness and happiness for me. At least I hope so :bugeyed:

KaiMoonshadow

It may also be because of the saying "bamboo bends but never breaks" :)

ravenest

wumpkie said:
Me again...:D Today from work I bought a small bamboo plant in a nice little rectangular pot and thought it would look nice in the bedroom the I realised the label said'lucky bamboo' I didn't know it was considered lucky, why is that?

Wumpkie :)
Because its a good marketing ploy.

wumpkie

ravenest said:
Because its a good marketing ploy.

That doesn't surprise me, I bought it because it goes with the theme of my bedroom, and it's virtually indesructable which it needs to be in my house :D

memries

Is it poisonous if cats eat it ? My son has two cats and stays away from plants which is a shame. I guess they attack them but if he had enough then they would not know which ones to eat. I was going to buy them some cat grass but that would just encourage them.

What you bought is so very pretty looking and maybe I should get some for my bedroom. I love the green color they carry.

Kyrielle

It's not actually bamboo, it just looks like it. It's related to corn. I heard that any odd number of stems in an arrangement is good luck, but not just one stem, which is bad luck. Even numbers, according to this, are bad luck.

But I've also heard that one of the worst-luck numbers in Chinese lore is 5, which is odd, and one of the best-luck numbers is 8, which is even.

Nine is also very lucky. The grouping of 18 could reflect both the luck of the number 8 and the luck of a multiple of 9.

I don't know. I have a few stalks. It's a lovely houseplant to me. I've found they do best in low light and with distilled water rather than tap. Otherwise they tend to go yellow.

wumpkie

Kyrielle said:
I don't know. I have a few stalks. It's a lovely houseplant to me. I've found they do best in low light and with distilled water rather than tap. Otherwise they tend to go yellow.
I didn't know about the type of water, but I will now use distilled rather than tap in future, thanks :)

Briar Rose

I finally had to repot my bamboo plant in a little bigger pot then the square one it came with. The roots were bright orange. Are they suppose to be orange?