To complain or not to complain...

Eilan

Today I went to one of the two bookshops that sell tarot here in Milan. These two bookshops have almost only lo scarabeo decks (the others are some Marseilles and other old and traditional decks). But today there were something else too: hidden in a corner under a mountain of LS decks I saw a Tarot of a Moon Garden! This deck is on my wish list but I have no way to buy it because this kind of decks are not sold here and I have some problem with buying on internet; finding it in the bookshop is a great occasion so I seized it, but the box was all ruined! I wanted to open it to see if the cards were sealed but the shopkeeper has forbidden me to do it, so, as I really wanted it and I didn’t know when I could find it again, I bought it. Out of the shop I opened it and… the deck was unsealed! Not only: it was shuffled too! I’m sure the deck is used! I thought for a moment of going back to the shop to complain but as I really wanted this deck and I don’t care to use a used deck, I kept it. The cards are in good condition, no one is missing, I really like it and I’m happy to have it but I can’t help feeling cheated: I paid it as new, not as used and the shopkeeper blocked me when I wanted to control the deck!
If they want to sell used decks as new they should at least put the cards in the right order!

Except this, I really like this deck!

Alta

Eilan said:
Except this, I really like this deck!
Possibly just accept as 'a lesson learned' and enjoy the cards. :)

MarkMcElroy

Ideas

1) If the deck is like new, and you enjoy it, consider letting go of the *idea* that the deck *should be* new, and replacing that idea with thoughts of how much you enjoy the deck.

2) From the vendor's viewpoint, there's no proof the deck was used when you bought it, apart from your word. Confronting the vendor is likely to lead to little more than frustration and bad feelings. Does the potential gain (a few Euros back in your pocket, at best) outweigh the effort of returning to the store, going through the confrontation, and worrying about the outcome?

3) You could ask the deck what *it* advises. :) But ... before you do: if it says -- perhaps with the 8 of Cups -- that "I need to go back to the store," is that something you really *want* to hear? By contrast, if it says -- perhaps with the 9 of Cups -- that you should really be satisfied ... can you let go of the idea of having been "cheated," and just enjoy the deck?

Just some ideas. :)

ana luisa

Buying decks in Brazil

I usually buy my decks from Alida or even Amazon. But because of outrageous Import taxes we pay for them to be collected at the post office, I decided to have a look at the local bookstores. Almost ALL the decks are in terrible condition. It even seems like a dog has chewed on some... Why are decks treated like that? Are they contrabanded?
And as for your deck, I would keep it. Salespeople can be a real pain when it comes to returning items. Besides, I can tell you already bonded with it. I would however, make negative propaganda and spread the word. That way, other customers would be more wary when buying at that shop!

Abrac

I can understand how you might feel like you were used. Usually if I find something in a shop or store that is damaged in some way I will ask the manager if they can reduce the price any because of the defect and a lot of times they will. Sometimes they won't, but in that case at least I know where I stand and then I can decide if I want to pay full price or not.

Fortunately the cards were all there and in good shape.

sleepingcat

Maybe it'll share it's adventures someday? ^_^

But bad shopkeepers like that will just lose buissness for their store- odds are you wont be buying there again, and I'm sure you're not the only one.

Aulruna

I'm really scandalized the dealer would not let you look inside of the box! I always check that the decks are sealed, and no one has tried to prevent me from it yet... oh well.

Look at the bright side, you found a deck you wanted, it is not damaged, and the price seemed acceptable too.

As for the order - I get many sealed decks that are unordered -very cumbersome, as I always check that no cards is missing/double. So the fact they are not in their supposed order doesn't necessarily mean that they were shuffled.

Enjoy your cards!

Umbrae

Eilan said:
...I wanted to open it to see if the cards were sealed but the shopkeeper has forbidden me to do it, so, as I really wanted it and I didn’t know when I could find it again, I bought it. Out of the shop I opened it and… the deck was unsealed! Not only: it was shuffled too! I’m sure the deck is used!...
Not all decks come ‘in order’, especially the smaller press and self-published decks. Because a deck looks shuffled, means nothing.

Some decks, do not have sealed boxes – depending on the publishing style (self or small press).

And some outer boxes are dreadful! I’ve dealt with brand spanking new out of the packing case decks that looked used (boxes unglued etc. and cards out of order), but were never touched.

Bottom line – you got a rockin’ deck. N-Joy it!

sharpchick

Umbrae said:
Bottom line – you got a rockin’ deck. N-Joy it!

And make or buy yourself a lovely bag to store the deck in.

Glass Owl

Eilan said:
I thought for a moment of going back to the shop to complain but as I really wanted this deck and I don’t care to use a used deck, I kept it!
A similiar situation happened to me, too. After looking through the Tarot section at Books-A-Million with my extended family one day, they suddenly decided they wanted to leave. Well, at the last minute I spotted a New Palladini deck. It was a deck I had been wanting for awhile; in fact, it was a reading I did on facade.com with this deck that got me back into Tarot. I was so excited that I found the deck that it wasn't until I got home that I realized the box had been opened and the cards were out of order.

Like you, I was a bit irritated at first. But when I shuffled it I felt so comfortable with it. I love this deck and it gives me absolutely wonderful readings. It is one of top 3 decks (behind my Fenestra and Morgan Greer).

One reading with this deck was regarding my late father and it was so spot on. It was magical and left me so touched. I haven't felt the need to do another one regarding him since.

I strongly feel that this deck was meant for me and that the other person who opened it realized wasn't him/her and left it for me to find.