Crafting with Cards?

sleepingcat

Maybe I'm just preparing myself for the inevatable. Perhaps I just want to take in stray decks and love them, my own speical way.

Maybe I really really need to put down the glue gun.

Anyway, I was wondering if people recycle decks that are no longer usable to read with? Does anyone "rebirth" parts or all of a damaged deck though some kind of application?

Not out to offend anyone with an idea along the lines of "you'd just as soon decoupage your best friend to a dresser, wouldnt you?" but just asking out of some creative inpiration.

Personally, to me, reading a deck is what seperates it from cardbard and pigment and a "tarot deck" but if it cant be read, maybe it can still stay close in some other form?

Of course, no innocent decks shall be harmed or threatened in any way, or ones that could be passed along to another loving owner.

coyoteblack

deck that I cant read wit yo can still meditate with or to " tarot spells" or even make up short stories to pass the day .

Or jst trade it away maybe even see if someone has the same deck and is missing a card

Cerulean

Oh evil topic--in a good way....

One time, long ago, thought the new format Lo Scarabeo decks were the bees knees and so I cut up the Crystals Tarot in smaller format and made a 'new' collage-style deck. I've done some others, but they are to be nameless experiments...don't talk about Japanese art stickers and the Lunatic Tarot or some others like the Via, etc...had to get it out of my system.

To be honest, I retired all home-style craft decks to different drawer storage as a reminder of what I've already done. I will only sketch and tinker my own drawings and painting stuff now and when inspired, work on the 'coloring' project for a soprafino. But that is my limit nowadays.

Give your glue gun permission to rest or rumble on....the prettiest and most colorful mass market decks--say the mini Lo-Scarabeo ones--might work for a beautiful tarot album for yourself...make a great personal journal project...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Briar Rose

I do collage, and a lot of art. A friend sent me an incomplete deck of Tarot cards. I thought I do either glue them down, or rip them up, but I just couldn't do it.

Instead, I can photo copy them on my printer, and use them that way.

Bless you if you can take the actual cards. I just can't! I could probably rip and cut up the boxes, but not the cards!

But if I could, what awesome art greeting cards I could make! The photo copies are just as good though.

wytchwood

I couldn't bring myself to desecrate a deck either, even an incomplete one. I print them out on photo paper and use them to make stuff, but can't bear to wreck the cards.

Zoe

Tarotphelia

78 bookmarks is easy, instant , and non-destructive .

celeste

I frame them in little frames.

Cerulean

You realize that other decks are fair game...

innocent <blink> <blink>

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s?q=kids+poker+decks&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Note the Spanish deck with the Latin suits are tarotlike, so at one dollar seventy-five, you have most of the pips for a tarot project....

Seriously, I think there is a link where someone made a project of the Aquarian deck...scroll down in the interview and to the right there's this groovy round picture...look familar?

http://www.tarotpassages.com/in-vrt.htm

I've restrained myself from buying a hot glue gun because of such joyful possibilities...although I did buy another NEW gluestick the other day...they do not last long in my realm...

Evil (in a good way) Enabling,

Cerulean the Recovering Collager

jayem

i just had an insane idea that would look very awesome if somebody had the time/money to do it.
im all for recycling old decks, and actually have done so in the past. but, i just had an idea for anybody who does professional readings and uses a specific room/table. imagine if that whole table was decoupaged with all different random tarot cards. the only drawback would be that if youre doing a reading, it might be a distraction.
BUT, itd be very cool nonetheless.

sleepingcat

Oh man, I'm an idiot! (ok, I'm just an incredible literal thinker)

I could totally photocopy my cards and make a tribute to them now!

...What I really wanted was a box to store my small beloved objects in, with my favorite deck's designs on it.

The idea was that if my deck was ever damaged, I dont have the luxury of really storing many things I don't need (tiny house, less storage) but keeping a little piece of the deck alive would be enough.... And they could protect my treasures. Ok, that's hokey but when you dont get to keep a lot of sentimental belongings you tend to be a little crazy about the ones you can keep.

If I had a box made from photo copies then when the inevitable happens I can take a few of my remaining favorites and stash them in...... Gah, I hope that doesn't happen for forever though! I've heard some people can get 20 years out of a deck? *hopes for that, or at least as good as she can get* ....make my box now and protect my deck....