A few new stones...

HearthCricket

Today I picked up a few more stones for my collection. I was drawn to dark colours for the fall and bought some hematite, petrified wood (polished), jasper, and a black stone called "Apache Tears". I really love the later as it is pure black, reflective to some extent (but not metallic like hematite) and very light weight. Does anyone know what this stone is really called or anything about what it does?

BodhiSeed

Apache tears are a form of obsidian, but unlike black obsidian, they are actually translucent. If you hold them up to a bright light, they look a smoky brown color. The legend says that the Native American women cried as they were being forced off their lands, and their tears formed this stone. For this reason, it is not only a protective stone, but also associated with healing and comfort for those who suffer from grief or sorrow.

Bodhran

HearthCricket

Hmmm...they were labeled Apache Tears, but they are definitely not translucent. They are solid black. I just held them up to the light!

HearthCricket

They are polished and that is exactly what they look like, but I held them up to the light and I can't see anything. Just black. So I am wondering if they put plain polished Obsidian in the same spot as where Apache Tears once were, or if they are selling these (or someone is pulling the wool over their eyes) as Apache Tears. At any rate, I was attracted to the stone, not the name, so it doesn't matter to me. They are still fun.

I also got a yellow stone (not sure what, yet) with a crop circle engraved and painted on it for my husband as he loves the movie "Signs". He enjoyed it and has it on his dresser. I will convert him, eventually. He was even looking at the crystals on his own, today, at the store. Good boy! :D

Papageno

HC bodhran is correct

unfortunately the gem industry is very loose these days with their standards and descriptions and if the dealer chose to market these as Apache Tears most retailers blindly follow their lead, especially if they got a deal.

HearthCricket

They probably don't even know it. I think I am going back, tomorrow, anyhow, so I will let them know. These stones are sold on consignment, so they probably just let the person come in and trust that they are being honest.

wizzle

I agree that "Apache tears" is a term for obsidian.

Just because they are Supposed to be translucent doesn't mean they will be. Opaque stones are generally cheaper. So you may have Apache tears, but not the highest quality. Obsidian is more "glassy" looking than the other black stones, if that is of any help to you in identification. That's because it is a naturally formed volcanic glass. And just like man made glass, it can be translucent or completely opaque. Try looking at your stones in the very very strongest sunlight. Or if your stones have sharp edges, that would be another way of identifying obsidian.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I read your post again and the combo of black and light weight might be jet instead of obsidian. Obsidian is about the same weight as regular glass. Onyx, another black stone, is about the same weight as your citrine.

BodhiSeed

Hmm... I missed the "light weight" part.... Makes me think of some tumbled pieces of jet I have. They have a high shine (very much like polished obsidian) but their weight is so light it reminds me of amber.

Bodhran

LixiPixi

Thank you for this thread, HearthCricket - along with the link that bodhran provided, it has helped me to identify one of my stones! Mine is definitely an Apache Tear. When I hold it up to the light, I can see through it a little. It is identical to the ones in the photo, and is described to a T. When I bought it, I couldn't remember what it was, looked through my Crystal Bible, etc., and finally settled on it being a Smokey Quartz, but now I know better :D :D

Thank you!

LP~