You Are Not On Sale

Faeryreader

I think this is a topic that needs to be addressed generally, as very often people in service related professions feel the need to under value their time. I just ordered a book by Money Management Expert Suze Orman called "Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny", and it addresses the following:

Orman guides readers through the very basics of finances. She explores why women have dysfunctional relationships with money and notes the ways they undervalue themselves or "treat themselves as a commodity whose price is set by others," while also sharing the story of her own evolving relationship with her finances.

Here are some of the arguments I've heard that Tarot Readers and other service professionals use or have heard regarding offering their services for lower rates:

1. This person really NEEDS the reading but doesn't have the money for it.

2. I do this because I love it! It should always be free.

3. I don't need the money, my spouse supports me so I can charge whatever I want.

Here's what I think regarding each issue I listed above.

1. I really NEED gas in my car. Does the service station give me a discount because of this need? No. Does the mortgage company waive my monthly payment because I need a place to live? No. As long as I need to pay for things that I need, then so should a client.

2. I love to read too, and I did it for free for friends for many years. This is the Professional Tarot thread, though, and that generally means getting paid a professional wage. I've seen some people writing to the contrary in this section, and frankly, it's confusing to those of us who are seeking or sharing advice about how build our careers.

3. That's wonderful that you have a supportive partner in life. But I think you should still charge the going rate for your services in your area. Someday you just might need that extra income, and it's pretty hard to raise your prices overnight to meet sudden expenses.

If you're reading this, it is because you are interested in Tarot as a Profession. I would very much like to hear everyone's opinions about the reasons why you think you should offer discounts or charge less than the going rate in your area for Tarot.

caridwen

It's very true that women undervalue themselves and are undervalued. I read an article about a business that advertised a position for £50,000 a year and had very few responses. It then advertised the same position for £30,000 and had floods of female applicants...something to think about:)

As far as charging for Tarot readings, even psychologists will accept what you can offer if you have very little money for treatment. Some will even forgo a fee. I think that goes for most caring professions of which tarot is one.

Nimbus

This is a vey interesting topic and one that I am glad has been brought up. I have struggled with the issue of pricing my readings and have come to a conclusion that works for me.

First, tarot readings are not a necessity of life, nor are they designed to replace professional counsel or advice. In fact, most professional readers will refer a client to the appropriate professional in their area or will suggest the client look for a referral from a local source designed to give such information. If a client truly cannot afford a tarot reading, but is interested in personal counsel beyond my scope, I suggest they contact their family physician or local social services agency to see what services they may qualify for based on their situation (needs and income).

It is true that there are some professionals ( ie psychiatrists, counsellors, and lawyers) who have a sliding scale, but none will offer their services free or for $10 per session. It just does not happen. There is no way to write this without sounding cold and callous, but that is the farthest from my intent. Those professionals who offer their services through an agency so that the services are free to the client are then paid by the agency for their professional time and services. It may be less than their colleagues in the private sector make, but they are paid.

Tarot is often offered as an entertainment service such as at parties, fairs, or corporate gatherings. Participating is based on ability to pay; if a consumer wants a reading, payment is expected. Tarot is also offered as a personal growth or life coaching opportunity and the client who wishes to explore their issue, challenge, or life through this medium can contract the services of a reader and will receive a reading for payment. Payment may even be given in the form of an equitable barter such as a tarot reading for a massage (I have done this with a registered massage therapist friend of mine).

My time, based on my education and experience is worth something. My tarot services and prices are advertised and if a potential client would like to contract my services I would be happy to provide them to the best of my ability. I have invested in my education, in my advertising, and in my website. I have a valuable service to offer. Not everyone will be interested in a reading from me. Not everyone can afford my services (ranges from $25-$100 depending on the reading). But, there will be people who are interested in me and who can afford my services. They are the ones I am targeting and I am sure I will be able to continue my practice in a way that is in alignment with my values.

I cannot afford to provide readings at $5 or $10 a pop. They are too time consuming and it would run me ragged. I also cannot feel comfortable with charging $5 knowing the person is hardly able to afford it and really should be referred to a professional who might be better able to help the person get their life together so they are able to tap into the local services they need and can perhaps get themselves situated in a better financial position.

As long as there is a range of prices (from free to the upper limits of what the local market will bear) everyone will be served. If a person truly cannot afford the tarot reading, refer them to a free reading site. It may not be the best solution, but at least it is a solution. Our job as professionals (in any discipline) is to maintain our professional distance- provide care and empathy, but not sypmpathy. We cannot rescue another person. We can help shine light for greater insight, but ultimately the clients must make their own life choices.

I came from a very poor background and was shuffled between foster homes and finally disowned and kicked out of the house at age 16, so I truly am not heartless or unaware of how some families struggle. I also know that there are many services available for those in need. I took advantage of what I could find and managed to get through graduate school and am now pursuing a doctoral degree. Along the way I learned to value myself and learned that I have something to offer.

I hope any budding professional tarot reader will consider this interesting topic very seriously and build a practice that works for them on all levels. What works for me may not necessarily work for another. My hope is to build a practice I enjoy, offers insight and helps my clients grow personally, and is one that is financially viable for many years to come.

~Deborah

celeste

I agree with all that has been written but what if you just aren't getting the business when you are charging what you are worth? The odd time I get someone who is willing to pay the regular rate but that is not very often. It's a good thing I have a day job or I could not live on my earnings as a tarot reader.

I do the $10 thing to attract business at holiday times, but the rest of the time the rate is $25 for 30 minutes and $50 for 60 minutes-and that is still low compared to what some other readers are making-but then you have to factor in how long they have been at it next to me. Also, I think geography is a big factor too.

* I have also tried raising my rates substantially as well-no change.

Faeryreader

Nimbus said:
This is a vey interesting topic and one that I am glad has been brought up. I have struggled with the issue of pricing my readings and have come to a conclusion that works for me.

First, tarot readings are not a necessity of life, nor are they designed to replace professional counsel or advice. In fact, most professional readers will refer a client to the appropriate professional in their area or will suggest the client look for a referral from a local source designed to give such information. If a client truly cannot afford a tarot reading, but is interested in personal counsel beyond my scope, I suggest they contact their family physician or local social services agency to see what services they may qualify for based on their situation (needs and income).

~Deborah

That's a really good point Deborah, services are available to those who are truly in need. Thank you for bringing that up, maybe I should get the contact info for local low cost counseling services just in case a client may have the need and not the means.

Sinduction

I've wrestled with charging for readings. But then I realized something that broke it for me.

I have a special ability. I've studied hard to learn the tarot. I deserve to be compensated for this skill. I mean, not everyone can do what we do. It's really like any other occupation. You do your study then go out in the world and make money doing it.

And you are right, readings are not a necessity. A client will not die if we don't provide them with a free reading.

I think the hardest thing is finding a price that is fair.

But I love the gas thing! Can you imagine going into the station, "Sorry I can't pay you but I really need some gas." :D

Of course, I will continue to read for charitable donations on occasion. And that may be a good way for those to start charging. It certainly helped me. It's easier to ask for money if it's going to sick kids. Then it makes it easier when you do begin to charge for yourself.

Grizabella

Well, the bottom line is---if what you're doing isn't working, do something else. :) If I were selling shoes, I'd rather sell 8 pairs for $25 ($200) than have one pair sitting in my shop for $100 that doesn't sell.

Umbrae

Suze Orman comes close, but fails when she makes it a women’s issue. Don’t get me wrong – she’s absolutely correct. However she understates the problem.

And the problem affects most of us.

And virtually 100% of our sitters. And of course knowing this, once you really get it – in the core of your being, everything changes.

In our schools, even our universities – we are taught to be employees.

Folks love to parade statistics – here’s one they love – 95% of all new businesses fail in their first 5 years.

But WHY? The usual reason is under-capitalization.

The truth is – we think like employees – not like owners.

‘Owner think’ is a whole different ballgame that’s not taught out there.

Baroli

Umbrae said:
The truth is – we think like employees – not like owners.

‘Owner think’ is a whole different ballgame that’s not taught out there.

And once you start to think like an owner, that's when things fall into place, and things get going.

It took me years to figure this out, having worked for someone most of my life, but when you break out of that mould and really sit down with a plan and get it going, man,....it is a thing of beauty.

And I am still learning,...

Baroli

Gavriela

Don't underprice yourself - even for the sake of your reading ability. There are some friends I read for for free, but they're readers, too, and they return the favour - fair and square, and I have no problem with it.

But - when it comes to the type of friend who doesn't read, has a million questions, is making three times more money than you are, and decides that $10 is 'fair' for an hour's reading, cos you are friends, after all - don't do it! Nor for a client. You're worth more than that if you know your craft at all, and 20 minutes into the thing, you're almost bound to get resentful and feel taken advantage of (there's a reason for that - you are).

And that's likely to throw your reading.

Now, it depends on where you live, but another benefit to setting your reading price, at say, $150 per hour (or what the market will bear in your city) without batting an eye is that a lot of the 'curiousity seekers' and 'test the psychic' types aren't likely to shell out that kind of money to ask you what colour the sofa in their front room is - but if you're charging $5 or $10, that's most of what you'll get. So you end up with real clients, not the ones that set out to make you feel bad to begin with and who needs those anyway?