Intuitively Reading Different Decks

Scorpio Kitten

For the intuitive readers out there: when reading from different decks, do you find that the meanings you glean from the individual cards are the same or somewhat different from the same cards in another deck? For example, if you drew a 3 of Swords from the Rider-Waite deck, would the 3 of Swords from a different deck with different art and possible different symbolism still hold that same specific meaning? I'm asking because I'm really trying to read the cards intuitively, and I've noticed that some decks have wide variances in the meanings for certain cards. Is it ok to read what comes to you even if it's completely different from what the author/artist intended?

(Ok, so I'm new and this has probably been discussed at some time but I didn't know what to search for...)

Baroli

Yes, for me the RW 3 of swords is different in meaning than the 3 of swords in say the Victorian Romantic. It is also different everytime I read, depending on the question the sitter has asked, and the severity. It all depends on what message I am getting at that time for the sitter.

baroli

Gavriela

Even if you read non-intuitively, different symbols=different meanings.

I don't have a lot of decks, but the few I do are wildly divergent in style (even those that claim to follow the RWS system more or less - they mostly don't, but that's fine). I don't read them the same way.

I suppose if it is something really close to the RWS (like the Lo Scarabeo Waite clone), it'd be somewhat the same, but even that has some significant differences to the Waite deck.

And as Baroli said, every time you read, no matter what deck it is, it's going to be different.

willowfox

Quite often the picture on the card will give a good clue as to the meaning, so using a another deck will give different ideas which will be valid for that reading.

missycab

I think that, in some way, different images have different meanings. I'm also an intuitive reader, and I tend to focus on certain elements of the different card images. For example, (following the 3 of swords) I could be drawn to the ocean in the Fey's 3 of swords, while in the Jane Austen I could see the letter with bad news. But even if some things are different, the "core" is still the same... "good" cards still are "good", and "bad" ones are still "bad". The differences, I think, are that the images show different degrees of "good" and "bad".