Mixing Decks?

greendaygal540

I have an aunt who mixes her decks together (like if there is 1 card she doesn't like in an otherwise beautiful deck, she'll switch that 1 card out with the same card from another deck that's the same size). What do more experienced tarot readers (because I'm pretty sure collectors wouldn't like the idea at all xD) think of this practice?

PedroEmperor

Hey there :)

Personally, I couldn't.

To me, as a reader, each deck has a certain vibe, and a certain way of working, and that's why I use the X deck instead of the Y deck, according to the situation or to the vibe I feel. So mixing up decks is just weird for me, and it wouldn't work. I wouldn't feel it was correct of me, nor helpful to my way of working with Tarot.

And as a collector, you're right! Big no-no :p

But hey, everybody has their view of things and their way of working, so although to me is blasphemy, some people will find it awesome and interesting :)

ilweran

I love the idea, but don't think I could bring myself to actually do it. Good for her that she can :D

cardlady22

I've seen a few mentions of creating the Ultimate Lo Scarabeo deck- since their sizes are uniform. I'm perverse enough to want to see it done.

And don't forget to check out the Frankendecken: Tarot of 78 Spares project thread here.
posts 502 and 610

Vesper

I love the idea, especially with the Lo Scarabeo decks. They always seem like real working decks to me. Not something you have to be reverent about. Plus, there's usually at least one card in every LS deck that's a head-scratcher for me.

Like the Fool in the Klimt: it's a naked old man holding his head in grief or shame. How is that like any Fool you've ever seen before?

Another reason not to get rid of decks you don't like: you can create your own Frankendecken! What a fun project that would be. You could even write your own little white book.

gregory

greendaygal540 said:
I have an aunt who mixes her decks together (like if there is 1 card she doesn't like in an otherwise beautiful deck, she'll switch that 1 card out with the same card from another deck that's the same size). What do more experienced tarot readers (because I pretty sure collectors wouldn't like the idea at all xD) think of this practice?
I am a collector. :D I also read.

I would have NO problem with this for READING - it makes no difference to the collecting, after all. You can put the cards back afterwards !

I don't know if I'd choose to do it as such - but I did read with the Frankendeck cardlady mentioned - and it worked very well.

53rdspirit

I find a lot of tarot, oracle and playing card decks with missing cards in them for around 50 cents to one dollar all the time. Sometimes I buy them and eventually find replacement cards so I have a complete deck, so, consequently, I am slowly filling a small trunk with incomplete and mismatched decks. I read with tarot, oracles and regular playing cards so I have absolutely no qualms about creating my own Frankendecken --I already have the corner-cutters and cutting boards and guts! *lol*

Now, I just won't Frankendecken with my personal "serious" collection --only with my ever-growing trunk of miscellaneous yard sale card finds.

Grizabella

evelone said:
Like the Fool in the Klimt: it's a naked old man holding his head in grief or shame. How is that like any Fool you've ever seen before?

Well, haven't you ever heard the term "old fool?" It often refers to a man in his "second childhood" and you could relate it to Alzheimers where every minute is a new minute and every day a new day. Old people afflicted with dementia are often like small children.

That's a good idea about switching cards around for a LS deck because so many of their decks seem to be the same size so you wouldn't have to trim anything but if you choose your cards rather than dealing them, then you might find yourself choosing certain ones because you know what they're likely to be.

shadowdancer

yep done it :D

My own patchwork deck now covers 30 decks from my collection. I scanned the card, made them the same size, (5 x 3")added a universal title at the bottom (blue background cups, red for wands etc) and printed/laminated my very own personal deck utilising favourite images from across my collection. I know it does cause some to raise eyebrows but it works for me. I resonate with each image, they all have the amount going on I like working with in a reading and it is one of my favourite decks for sure. I also found I could add to it by extending the Major Arcana section. I know this was done on the Templar deck and it worked fine. Works for my patchwork deck also.

Davina

Vesper

That's brilliant, Davina. Can you post a link to some images? I'd love to see how it looks in a little spread.