Lorenzo de Medici / Inventory

Huck

Ross G Caldwell said:
LOL - Huck, come on :)

Use your time for some real, relevant research.

But if we're going to play with the idea, which trumps do you think would make a Comedy, and which five extra would make a Tragic Comedy out of the series?

And why isn't the Fool (a very funny figure) in either of them? (okay, maybe he's not counted)

Ross

Hm .. I don't think, that this Spanish comedy or tragic comedy could touch really the historical meaning of the Italian Bromzo sentence of Lorenzo's inventory. Though it was translated 1506 to Italian, but I didn't find, that it was played there soon.

But what means factually:

"Una stoletta di bromzo, coè del Trionfo di Baco con 21 figuruzze / fiorini 10"

Celestina and the sentence about 16 and 21 had more the appearance of a Tarot card drawn in divinatory not-intention, it seems.

Rosanne

Your comments sound quite priggish Ross- the Tarot could be from a comedy of Boccaccio's perhaps something like La Fiametta with however many stanza's (I do not know) they were about Love and war, marriage and virtue (or lack of it) and were social commentary on the Court- that made everyone laugh. Why not 16 acts or 21 acts or 20 acts. These comedies were risque, sacrilegious and often apparently showed the differences between platonic love and lust. It seems a very fitting subject for however many trumps a game needed. I realise the Celestina was far to late- but I do note with interest that the same stage shape is under the Pope and Emperor of the Charles V1 is under the figures in the Visconti - why not a play? Was there a poem play about Bacchus that had 21 sections?
~Rosanne

Huck

The "real" Trionfo of Bacchus was a real famous trionfo in Florence during one of the carnevals, likely in the 70's.
The stoletta perhaps belonged directly to this event or was made later for memoration.

These Trionfi generally were near to the shows in theatre and Celestina was a piece for the theatre, no doubt. Maybe a genre had been built, that used 21 elements, for instance 21 Trionfo chariots or 21 acts in the theatre. This modus might have jumped to Spain.

Naturally this all might have had relations to the form of the Trionfi game with cards.

Italian theatre, which seemed to have developed a little earlier, might have influenced Spanish theatre by the Spanish pope in Italy in 1499.

Rosanne

Did not Lorenzo write songs and poems for carnivals?

Huck

Rosanne said:
Did not Lorenzo write songs and poems for carnivals?

Yes, about 10 songs, and many other stuff, also many letters.

The most famous carnival song was about Bacchus and Ariadne. The number of the chariots at these carnival-Trionfi is a riddle, at least to me. If it would have been 21, then this might signal something.

http://skuola.tiscali.it/letteratur...fo-di-bacco-e-arianna--de-medici-lorenzo.html

This text astonishingly writes, that the song was of 1490 ... so late (?) ... if this is really correct?

Rosanne

I have been struggling with italian sites that don't have translation :D
1468 the Tournaments when he was 19- he won a silver? helmet with Mars on it.
Christoforo Landini was still his poetry teacher.
1469 Pageant for when he got married.
1478 His brother was murdered
In 1447 there was a ban on Carnival that Lorenzo changed in 1479
It is then he is thought to have written the Triumph poem of Bacchus.
Then came the sonnets? The liturgical ones were for his Mother before he was married- at the same time his bawdy ones were written. I cannot find a date for the Triumph of Bacchus in Florence streets.
Thats as best as I can work it out.
~Rosanne

Huck

Rosanne said:
I have been struggling with italian sites that don't have translation :D
1468 the Tournaments when he was 19- he won a silver? helmet with Mars on it.
Christoforo Landini was still his poetry teacher.
1469 Pageant for when he got married.
1478 His brother was murdered
In 1447 there was a ban on Carnival that Lorenzo changed in 1479
It is then he is thought to have written the Triumph poem of Bacchus.
Then came the sonnets? The liturgical ones were for his Mother before he was married- at the same time his bawdy ones were written. I cannot find a date for the Triumph of Bacchus in Florence streets.
~Rosanne

Well, the factual life - at least the details - often exists only in Italian language and I've my trouble with this, too. A lot of the easy available older English reports are "written in tendency", an endless dream of idealization, which doesn't look deep enough.

Well , the carnival ... I can't really imagine, that it was changed so late from prohibition to legal (1479 ? 1469 seems logical). But I was surprized yesterday by reading, that the Bacchus song is said to have been from 1491). But ... in Rome carnival was celebrated in the late 60's under Paul II., so it's rather improbable, that Florence waited till 1479. Perhaps it was not allowed in spring 1479 cause the war, which happened by the murder of Giulio in 1478.

"1468 the Tournaments when he was 19- he won a silver? helmet with Mars on it."
This should've been in 6th of February 1469 ... but there are reports with contradictions. Perhaps it even was in in Milan ... .-) although I don't believe this. It was reported in detail by the poem of Luca/Luigi Pulci (Luca writing only the opening).

"Christoforo Landini was still his poetry teacher."

Might be a legend. Naturally Lorenzo learned from all and everything, and naturally everybody wanted to influence him and wanted to tell, that he was the teacher. Influence on the young poet was taken likely by Luigi Pulci, but naturally not he alone. The real teacher seems to have been a person with the name Giovanni Becchi (and he read Ovid with him and Giustini, a history author), also there are early influences on his musical talents in his early youth (inclusive dancing) of others. Latin came from other side. Since 1458 Lorenzo had a lot of time in Cafaggioli outside of Florence, and Pulci lived near .. but he was not a really teacher, more a friend and likely also accompanying the hunting adventures of the youth, which means, this meetings with nature.

De Facto in ca. 1474 Pulci was attacked by Matteo Franco (who tried with some success to get the ear of Lorenzo then) with the following words: "Gigi è inportuno, Gigi è fastidioso, Gigi ha pessima lingua, Gigi pazzo, Gigi arrogante, Gigi seminator di scandalo, Gigi ha mille defetti secondo voi, et nondimeno senza Gigi non si può respirare in casa vostra, Gigi è animella della vostra palle". In other words, he had the impression, that Gigi (= Luigi Pulci), although a person full of defects, seemed rather almighty in matters of Lorenzo till then.

When Gigi attacked Marsilio Ficino, Ficino did win the battle and Pulci left Florence for some time, without getting his position again later.

### 1469 Pageant for when he got married.

Yes, he got married this year and it was a great festivity.

### 1478 His brother was murdered

true

### In 1447 there was a ban on Carnival that Lorenzo changed in 1479

doubts, actually this can't have been so.

### It is then he is thought to have written the Triumph poem of Bacchus.

There are problems to identify the time of his writings, generally. But he started early to write, in the 60's, in the Pulci times. When very young, he even is said to have written 2 choreographies, which appeared in a book, dedicated 1463. A dance to "Love" (or Venus) and a dance to "Laura" (whereby "Laura" is the female form of "Lorenzo").

The mother had this sense for writing poetry and she likely had the command about all these "teachers".

Somewhere I had found a text, whose author seemed to have insights about his literary activities and who tried plausible datings ... somewhere at books.google.com ... Lost for the moment.

But most text are likely only available in Italian and to read Italian poems is difficult, much more difficult than usual texts.

Huck

Thanks, Stephen ....

Precisely this I spoke about.

These 3 persons mentioned in his "brigata": Luigi Pulci, Bracchio Martelli, Sigismondo della Stufa should be of importance of Lorenzo for his youth years. Luigi Pulci is clear, Bracchio de Martelli is since 1466 the brother-in-law of Lucretia Donati, this nice girl Lorenzo is called to have been in love with; or better called "his muse". Sigismondo della Stufa is either dead in 1473 or was of help in the dangerous situation, when Lorenzo was wounded in the church and Giuliano was killed (1478).

The general situation of the Trionfi development demands, that Lorenzo likely didn't influence Trionfi cards production NOt in his older age, but in his youth, so only his youth should be really interesting.

Pulci writes his letter in 1466 and talks about Minchiate playing. ... that's the only real and direct context between Trionfi cards and Lorenzo in documents.

http://trionfi.com/0/p/09/

The date is given with 23rd of August 1466. That's a few days before the morning, on which some armed soldiers tried an attack on Piero de Medici (27th of August). Lorenzo became a hero at this opportunity by telling this soldiers a wrong story. After this the time was filled with political trouble. Serious matters.

Earlier - from begin of March this same year till begin of May Lorenzo was on a political journey. He visited Rome, saw the filiale of the Medici bank and the Pope and Naples, where he met King Ferrante.

A second (indirect) context between Trionfi cards and Lorenzo is at 1465. The only note of Trionfi cards in Mantova appears, when a man died there and an inventory was made, which included a Trionfo deck in the Florentine style.

This happened short after a visit of Lorenzo's delegation, which took its way to the "start of the bride to her journey to the wedding" in Naples of Ippolita Sforza, who started begin of June 1465.

Lorenzo took his way via Ferrara and then Venice and then Milan (between Venice and Milan he should have taken also a halt at Mantova).

http://trionfi.com/0/e/29/

Lorenzo had some time in Milan, saw Francesco Sforza, and then accompanied the bride till Florence, which they arrive at 22th of June to see the Giovanni-the-Baptist festivities there. The event was a little disturbed by the instable general political situation as a thread of the peste nearby. The cavalcade took its way at the 27th of June, Lorenzo and other Florentine youth accompanied them a little bit to the south.

Huck

An early Lorenzo-de-Medici work in English language in the style of the Decamerone - with kicks on the citizens of Siena. Not totally complete, but with commentary.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CH...ufa&sig=S7fv_lW4XPYiry2WZYTNq7JkY_Y#PPA141,M1

I try to gather some more of them.

added:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bI...&as_brr=1&ei=gRWMR_2aC4i0iQH9_K3eBA#PPA382,M1

Italian, but interesting, as it seems to refer to persons, which Lorenzo knew in his youth. "The hunt with the falcon" including a famous passage about Pulci.