Different edition of 1JJ Swiss.

firefrost

Mine's got all the markings and logos you talk of and it says Copyright 1970 S R Kaplan.

It didn't come with a box, TCO sent it to me in a bag. The LWB is the paper that folds out.

:)

Satori

Mine is boxed, 1970's version. Same earmarkings as Hooked's. Gold bottomed and red top with Sun. I don't find it easy to read with. The decorations between the cups and stuff don't seem to work as well for me as the TDM I use by Hadar, Camoin and now Noblet.

kwaw

Hooked on TdM said:
I'm curious to see what different editions there are and what characteristics differ between them.

I have french language set.

I have the 1JJ Swiss from 1970. The box top slip over cover, is red. It has a Sun Card cover, reads Tarot Cards above it and complete with instructions below it.

Same as mine EXCEPT mine does not say 'complete with instructions' (and I do not have any, no LWB, but it may have been lost).

On the front side it says Tarot Cards 1JJ, AG Muller CIE, Neuhausen Am Rheinfall Switzerland.

Ditto (Muller + CIE and animal logo in Spade emblem)

On the back side it says, Distributed Exclusively by, U.S. Games Systems, INC, New York, N.Y. Made in Switzerland. Bottom of the box is gold.

Distributed exclusivelly by
WADDINGTONS PLAYING CARD CO. LTD,
40 WAKEFIELD ROAD, LEEDS LS10 3TP
YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
Made in Switzerland

The insert repeats what deck it is, made in Switzerland, than has US Games logo smack in the middle, and is copyrighted by S. R. Kaplan.

No US Games markings.

Any insert if any lost along with lwb.

No copyright markings, no date on any of the cards or box.

My II Coupe (2 Cups) has Fabrique de Cartes, I. Muller & Cie on the bottom. Just realized this is also on the L'Empereur's shield also. On the II Deniers, in the banner, it says Fabrique de Cartes A Schaffhouse. And finally (thanks to Bee for pointing this out) the IIII Deniers has an IM on the shield.

Ditto.

Debra

Pictures. Left, 1969; Right, 1974.

The 1969 edition:
Red slipcase box with gold label reading "TAROT CARDS"
LWB copyright 1969, US Games Systems, 120 Wall St. NY NY 10005
No copyright notice on cards
No "index number" on pips to indicate which way is up
Note Emperor's shield

1969 printing has softer orange/pink; more saturated red.

Attachments

• Emperor left 1969  right 1974 compressed.JPG
    Emperor left 1969 right 1974 compressed.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 2 coins copyright and small number compressed.JPG
    2 coins copyright and small number compressed.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 411
  • Ace Coins no copyright color comparison compressed.JPG
    Ace Coins no copyright color comparison compressed.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 455

Debra

Forgot the 2 of cups.

Attachments

• 1969 and 1974 2 of cups compressed.JPG
    1969 and 1974 2 of cups compressed.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 358

mary ventura

I have the 1969 version ... it was given to me by a dear client / friend, an elderly gentleman that I was taking care of till he passed away at 94 yrs old. He also gave me a 1969 Grimaud TdM -- the Grimaud is the deck that totally changed my mind about TdM.

When I got the 1JJ, I looked at so many different versions till I found out which one I have. The sad thing about the 1JJ -- 3 cards are missing :( I made replacement cards, they look pretty good and the deck shuffles just fine. I'll probably buy another 1JJ and take the 3 cards from that deck. These 2 decks are so precious to me, because I love to imagine how my client's readings might have gone. He was a fascinating man, a prominent psychologist whose colleagues and friends included Richard Alpert (Ram Dass), Carl Rogers, Rollo May & others.

Mary V

Debra

What a lovely story, Mary.

The only thing that hangs me up about reading with this deck is, no surprise, the Jupiter/Junon substitution.

mary ventura

Debra said:
What a lovely story, Mary.

The only thing that hangs me up about reading with this deck is, no surprise, the Jupiter/Junon substitution.
Yes, for me too, especially Jupiter -- he seems way more Emperor-ish than Pope-ish. I don't know that I'll read with this deck anytime soon, although I do like to take it out and look through it, shuffle it, pick out a card or two to think about.

Mary V

Dancing Bear

Hooked on TdM said:
I'm curious to see what different editions there are and what characteristics differ between them.

I have the 1JJ Swiss from 1970. The box top slip over cover, is red. It has a Sun Card cover, reads Tarot Cards above it and complete with instructions below it. On the front side it says Tarot Cards 1JJ, AG Muller CIE, Neuhausen Am Rheinfall Switzerland. On the back side it says, Distributed Exclusively by, U.S. Games Systems, INC, New York, N.Y. Made in Switzerland. Bottom of the box is gold

Same as i have

The insert repeats what deck it is, made in Switzerland, than has US Games logo smack in the middle, and is copyrighted by S. R. Kaplan.

same again

My II Coupe (2 Cups) has Fabrique de Cartes, I. Muller & Cie on the bottom. Just realized this is also on the L'Empereur's shield also. On the II Deniers, in the banner, it says Fabrique de Cartes A Schaffhouse. And finally (thanks to Bee for pointing this out) the IIII Deniers has an IM on the shield.

and again the same.. I also have two extra blank cards.

What looks like it could be face on the devils groin bones.. but I can't make it out.. I'd need a magnifying glass for that.

yes i believe it is, i got magnifying galss out LOL!

They don't feel like they have any lamination on them. They are kinda silky. All the titles are in French. The LWB is in English.

So I would say I have the Muller edition. So.. what edition do you have and what details can you give about it.

Hooked

the same as well..

Mine came in a bigger box.. with a paper fold out spread on it.. spread is Celtic Cross with card two crossing over 1, card two representing obstacles.
and a Book also included, paper back, thick booklet, Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortuen Telling. with explanations and image of majors and courts and brief description of pips... inside both back and front sleeve of book there are red photocopies of the majors from the first edition...
Inside the book it says 2nd printing, September 1970.

Library and catalogue card number..71-119490

Here are a few scans.

Attachments

• Cards from 1JJ.jpg
    Cards from 1JJ.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Red photocopy of images from 1st edition.jpg
    Red photocopy of images from 1st edition.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 334
  • red photocopy images from 1st edition #2.jpg
    red photocopy images from 1st edition #2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Inside of booklet stating edition number and explanation about red photocopies.jpg
    Inside of booklet stating edition number and explanation about red photocopies.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 329
  • Front of larger box.jpg
    Front of larger box.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 321

Dancing Bear

I had to do another post because i used up my 5 images in the last post.. :D

The outside larger box looks like it has a coffee stain on it.. but all contents inside were untouched.. thanks goodness..
the inside of the booklet where it says what edition it is etc.. is ratehr small print.. I have tried to enlarge it but i dont know how..

the deck itself is in its own slip cover box with the gold bottom and red top with the sun on it.

I got this on ebay for $12 aussie dollars inc postage from New Jersey US.
I was absolutley chuffed to win the bid.

I also probably wouldnt read with this deck.. But i do like having it in my collection because every now and then I get it out.. it reminds me of how an Original Tarot deck should be.. whetehr it is or not doesnt matter to me :D

Thanks for the thread xx

Attachments

• Back of larger box.jpg
    Back of larger box.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Bottom of the paper spread sheet.jpg
    Bottom of the paper spread sheet.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 310