Different edition of 1JJ Swiss.

Hooked on TdM

I'm curious to see what different editions there are and what characteristics differ between them.

I have the 1JJ Swiss from 1970. The box top slip over cover, is red. It has a Sun Card cover, reads Tarot Cards above it and complete with instructions below it. On the front side it says Tarot Cards 1JJ, AG Muller CIE, Neuhausen Am Rheinfall Switzerland. On the back side it says, Distributed Exclusively by, U.S. Games Systems, INC, New York, N.Y. Made in Switzerland. Bottom of the box is gold

The insert repeats what deck it is, made in Switzerland, than has US Games logo smack in the middle, and is copyrighted by S. R. Kaplan.

My II Coupe (2 Cups) has Fabrique de Cartes, I. Muller & Cie on the bottom. Just realized this is also on the L'Empereur's shield also. On the II Deniers, in the banner, it says Fabrique de Cartes A Schaffhouse. And finally (thanks to Bee for pointing this out) the IIII Deniers has an IM on the shield.

Is the logo on this four times really necessary? lol

What looks like it could be face on the devils groin bones.. but I can't make it out.. I'd need a magnifying glass for that.

They don't feel like they have any lamination on them. They are kinda silky. All the titles are in French. The LWB is in English.

So I would say I have the Muller edition. So.. what edition do you have and what details can you give about it.

Hooked

Bernice

My deck box also has the Sun card. says, "Complete with instructions by S. R. Kaplan"

Bottom edge of the box says: Distributed by David Westnedge London. Produced in Switzerland by AG Muller.

LWB says: INSTRUCTIONS. Made in Switzerland. US Games Inc. Copyright S. Kaplan.

The Emperor card has the Muller logo/text on his shield.

The cards have hardly any lamination, smooth, silky feeling.

The Death card has a little face with horns on its' head at his pelvis, it's quite clear.

Bee

EDITED: I also have capital IM on the sheild at the centre of the 4 Coins. And the words "Fabrique de cartes a schaffhouse" on the 2 Coins.

Abrac

Oh wow, I've never noticed that little face on Death before. That's totally awesome!

Abrac

There are a lot of different editions out there. The older ones are all basically the same with the exception of packaging and the names of different distributers on the box. The newer versions have English titles and copyrights on the front. "Fabrique de Cartes, I. Muller & Cie" has also been removed from the 2/Cups.

The oldest ones I've seen come in a slipcase. It says "Wehman Brothers" on the front. There are two editions, one is red and the other blue. The cards are basically the same. I think they must be from the late 50s or early 60s.

I have one with a box that is essentially like the one Hooked and Bee already mentioned but on one end it says "Distributed by Waddington Playing Card Co." The color tones on the cards are noticeably darker than my US Games, both the fronts and backs.

Bernice

Abrac: Many thanks for that info!

Trying to track which copy I have. Hooked must have an earlier one as there is currrently no 'logo' on the 2 Cups.

Bee :)

Any other info wouild be welcomed.

Hooked on TdM

Abrac you are a wealth of information! Need to pick your brain more often! :) I would love to see that older slip case style of deck!

Hooked

Cerulean

My instructions have a copyright of 1969.

My AG Mueller version with the distribution by U.S. Games has same information as above except a little more info on the LWB, which is a six-panel foldout. My version has the gold-bottom box and red top with Le Soleil or sun card...I bought it for $12.95 at a used bookstore and think it's a neat find for the price! It has the French titles I was looking for...

TAROT CARDS

INSTRUCTIONS

TAROK NO. I. J.J.
Swiss Made Cards

U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
120 Wall Street
New York, N.Y. 10005

Copyight 1969 by
U.S. Games Systems, Inc.

The hardcover book that uses the IJJ by Stuart Kaplan is Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling, copyright 1970...my used copy is actually the 22nd printing, June 1980.

Hope that helps.

Cerulean

Bernice

Thank you Cerulean. You have a 1969 version... does the 2 Cups have the Muller logo/text?

Your Instructions:
INSTRUCTIONS

TAROK NO. I. J.J.
Swiss Made Cards
This is interesting, mine are:
INSTRUCTIONS
Tarot IJJ Deck
Made in Swizerland
So one in just one year they changed the the wording around. Oh! found an ISBN number:
0-913866-51-2

Bee

Cerulean

Notes on IIII L'Empereur; II Cups; III Pentacles

III L'Empereur

Fabrique de Cartes J. Muller & Cie

II Cups

Fabrique de Cartes J. Muller & Cie.

IIII Pentacles

I (J?) M on middle shield.

It almost reminds me of Latin suited decks, where the number four cards of the minors had some decorative accent.

Best,

Cerulean

Bernice

That's what Hooked has in her deck, a Muller logo/text on these cards: IIII L'Empereur; III Pentacles.
And we all seem to have the schaffhouse text on the II Cups.

Bee