University Books editions from 19XX to 19XX

Teheuti

photokat said:
I would like to start up this thread again - I now own 3 U-Books RWS and none of them are OK.

One Maroon boxed one - with 2 Ace of Swords, 2 Eight of Pentacles, missing the 7 of Pentacles and the 10 of cups.

The previous owner has bought in in the early 70s, read with it for almost 40 years (please note, this was the ONLY deck he ever owned).

The printing / card stock is my favorite - compared to my cardboard boxed U-Books RWS.

Are there any interested to swap cards , so at least some of us have complete decks?

I tried in the lost and found singles bar, but hell knows if this will lead anywhere ....

I suppose you are looking for replacement cards specifically from a Maroon box deck??? Otherwise, just buy a regular box deck and break it up. BTW, some of the early regular box decks have well-printed cards. I have several University Books decks and the best printing, by far, came from a regular box deck purchased in 1967. These are even better than my Maroon box cards. However most later decks are not aligned well so that the colors go outside the black lines.

Cerulean

Hello, here's the "1959/1960" First Edition Preface

The emphasis from University Press is that they have a four-color edition of the cards in the book and two textual notes.

The text as follows (beginning):

Publisher's Preface

THE TAROT cards now offered to us are beautiful, exact replicas, in four sumptuous colors, of the original colors of the original Waite-Smith cards. Even more remarkable, we now have for the first time what even Waite was unable to provide for us in his own lifetime: an edition of THE PICTORIAL KEY TO THE TAROT in which all 78 cards are reproduced in four colors! To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time in modern times that a complete deck of Tarot cards has been reproduced in a book (italics) in full color.

Two points of importance, not dealt with in Gertrude Moakley's Introduction, must now be discussed.

First, don't be misled by his quite arbitrary opposing of "occult" to "mystical". Most of us will agree with Waite in rejecting his predecessors' silly interpretation of the Tarot; but it was quite arbitrary of him to call these errors "occult" and to call the true interpretation "mystical." There is no real warrant for opposing these words to each other.

Second, one must take with a very large grain of salt Waite's insistance that Tarot cards have no history prior to the fourteenth century. If you read carefully enough Waite's own words, it becomes clear that his main purpose in dealing with the history of the Tarot is to put an end, once and for all, to the myth that is of Egyptian origin. That also serves him in discrediting the use of the Tarot for fortune-telling and divination. But as a repository of Secret Doctrine, and this is what he believed to be the deeper meaning of the Tarot, Waite himself actually believed that the Tarot goes back to at least as far as the Kabbalah--and this of course brings us deep into Hebrew antiquities. Note, for example, what Waite says of a number of Trumps Major: the High Priestess' "truest and highest name is Shekinah," and note that this Priestess bears in her lap the Torah (only the last letter is not showing). This, too, is why Major Trump X--Wheel of Fortune-- bears Hebrew letters.

And the Major XVII--The Star--is "in reality the Great Mother in the Kabbalistic Sephira Binah..." In a word, Waite's Tarot belongs to Kabbalah. No doubt, Waite's vows to the Golden Dawn prevented him from saying it as we do, but most important, he has given in his book a completely Kabbalistic interpretation of the Tarot. Perhaps even more to the point, is this Kabbalistic interpretation which you will see pictured in the Waite-Smith Tarot cards, and which you can now have for your own in the original full colors.

(End)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(I probably will not be able to reproduce the whole text of the front and back flap of this 1959 edition, but there is repetition this is the first time the 78 cards were printed in full color in a book...then comes a tribute to Waite's wisdom, PCS' artistry, and how one should study the trumps for Kabbalistic symbolism. This is the final three paragraphs of the back flap:

Back flap text:
From 1959 Edition Cover

"Continued from Front Flap

magical Order of the Golden Dawn, and conveyed to the Order's members the secret tradition taught by the ancient mysteries. Arthur Edward Waite was a profound student of magic, theosophy, occultism, alchemy, the Rosacrucians, the Holy Grail, the Kabbalah, freemasonry. He found in all of them the same central theme: Man has suffered a great loss, and his heart is plagued with a longing to recover the lost treasure. Arthur Edward Waite found his way to the lost treasure. all who knew him testify that he was able to take a childlike, ecstatic delight in the simplest experiences of life. Everywhere he left an impression of grace and charm. His leonine head, lively dark eyes and majestic bearing did full justice to any ceremony, and he could recite the words as one who had full knowledge of the truths which they expressed.

Waite saw that Pamela Colman Smith, with her clairvoyance, her imagination, and her artistic competence, was just the right person to produce, under his guidance, a Tarot which would be at once a work of art and a gateway to truth. Waite's knowledge and wisdom provided the meaning.

Waite dwells long and lovingly on each of the twenty-two Trumps Major. these, are, of course, the cards which gives the Tarot its mysterious fascination. Waite's vows to the Order of the Golden Dawn prevented him from saying as plainly as we can that the tarot goes back to the Kabbalah--deep into Hebrew antiquities. If you will study carefully the Trumps Major, as well Waite's interpretations, you will see that in the most important pictures, the names or the symbols come to us from the Kabbalah. this is why Waite is at such points to refute the popular idea that the Tarot comes from Egypt. As long as we look in wrong direction, we shall wander away from the gateway of the truth. Arthur Edwards Waite's enduring contribution is that he has brought us to the gateway that Pamela Colman Smith has so beautifully depicted for us."

Cerulean's note/question:
(Maybe because this tarot information was not widely circulated or color printed in the U.S. in 1960, this book's claim to fame might be the 'color printing' as noteworthy new material? Although by 2009 standards, the bright comic-book color might remind us of RWS printing editions we prefer to have left behind.)

Hope that information helps.

Cerulean

Teheuti

Cerulean said:
The emphasis from University Press is that they have a four-color edition of the cards in the book and two textual notes.
So, it sounds like there may have been two editions:

1) 1959 with color plates, green endpapers, and "Publisher's Preface" (page vii), and Introduction by Gertrude Moakley (page ix).
Copyright page says only:
-----
New Material copyright 1959
Library of Congress Catalog Number 59-15903
Originally published 1910

PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
-------
If so, I've been wrong.

2) 1960/62/66/more?? with gray-scale plates, white endpapers, and "Waite's Last Word on the Tarot" (page vii - instead of "Publisher's Preface"), and Introduction by Gertrude Moakley (page ix).
The "first printing" must refer only the the gray-scale plate version and not to the color one.
[The catalog number is the same for both books.]

Does this seem right?

If so, the main issue for determining the 1959 "first edition" is that it has color plates, green endpapers, the "Publisher's Preface," and (possibly) no "Library of Ancient and Modern Classics" (added pages 345-359).

I haven't seen a book cover for the gray-scale plate edition.

Cerulean

I believe the information is correct

And it was awhile before I remembered how significant the 1959 University Books First Edition with 78 plates in Full Color might be for the time...

The 1959 edition of the University Books First Edition is mentioned in "A Pictorial Key to the Tarot IN FULL COLOR," an edition dated by the preface by Charles Sans on January 2, 1973 and published by Causeway Books in New York.

The excerpt in Charles San's preface:

"In 1959 University Books brought out a faithful replica in full color of the original cards and a facsimile which restored its authorship to Waite * and (for only the one edition, now long exhausted) also reproduced the cards in full color in the book. Since then, as the revival by University Books caught on, the cards and the book are issued by a number of different publishers -- but again only our book is a facsimile in color."

*Charles Sans was commenting two sentences earlier that deLaurence had claimed authorship of a Pictorial Key to the Tarot..

I think it was the Causeway Books preface and note about it being the only PKT book with a color edition of the 78 cards in 1973 that stood out.

By 2009 standards the actual color printing in the Causeway Books looks garish and sometimes the 'registration' (I think printing the color between the lines might be called registration?) looks more like a misprinted Sunday newspaper advertisement...when I ran across this book used, I thought it was worth the $15 for a reading copy with color prints and PCS linework.

Holly Voley mentions the 1973 Causeway Books edition of A Pictorial Key in her Sun card comparisons:
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html

I hope this is helpful verification for all!

Best,

Cerulean

rwcarter

Teheuti said:
I haven't seen a book cover for the black-and-white plate edition.
Judging by the copyright info inside the cover of my University Press edition book, I have a 1966 copy. Attached is a pic of the bookcover. The book itself is burgundy-ish in color.

And one small quibble about terminology, if I may. The plates in the 1966 version are definitely shades of gray compared to the black-and-white plates in my 1993 Barnes & Noble edition. (Comparison pics also attached. I've done no color corrections of the scans.)

Rodney

Attachments

• AT-66 pictorial key book cover.jpg
    AT-66 pictorial key book cover.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 217
  • AT-66v93pkt-kc.JPG
    AT-66v93pkt-kc.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 219

Lleminawc

Interesting. Your front cover is absolutely identical to my 1959 edition. BTW the colouring of the plates is rather more accurate than my US Games deck which I got in around 2004.

Cerulean

see post number 9 please--

Hello Lleminawc- I have the the 1959 that says with 78 in four colors on the front cover--which is a subtle but distinct difference from Rodney's posted image. Hopefully you can scroll through the link that I put in post number nine and see the cover and see the sentence of the color plates is additional after the line saying by Arthur Edward Waite on the cover of the 1959 edition.

At least that is how my cover on the 1959 edition differs from Rodney's.

Thanks in advance for checking.

Cerulean

P.S. Nosalgia trivia-I was noticing dates on my 1959 edition and the date stamp on the receipt card included in my copy to the personal library of the former owner--March 1960.
He probably received an advance copy for general release in 1960, as he worked for a newspaper. The University Books Pictorial Key could be parallel timing plus 50 years to the suggested printing/release history by Frank Jensen of the 1909-10 Waite Smith Pamela A deck with a Key to Tarot small book set. Frank Jensen said that the Waite Smith original timing was late 1909 printing and March-April 1910 reprinting and then general release. For the University Books edition, a 1959 editing and printing date and prerelease to editors during March in 1960 and later 1960 release date . So we would be discussing a "50th anniversary" kind of edition to the original Waite Smith.. whether timing was accidental or not...funny just to my notions.

coredil

Teheuti said:
So, it sounds like there may have been two editions:

1) 1959 with color plates, green endpapers, and "Publisher's Preface" (page vii), and Introduction by Gertrude Moakley (page ix).
Copyright page says only:
-----
New Material copyright 1959

Printed in the United States of America
-------
If so, I've been wrong.

2) 1960/62/66/more?? with black-and-white plates, white endpapers, and "Waite's Last Word on the Tarot" (page vii - instead of "Publisher's Preface"), and Introduction by Gertrude Moakley (page ix).
The "first printing" must refer only the the black-and-white plate version and not to the color one.
[The catalog number is the same for both books.]

Does this seem right?

If so, the main issue for determining the 1959 "first edition" is that it has color plates, green endpapers and the "Publisher's Preface."

I haven't seen a book cover for the black-and-white plate edition.

My copy with color plates (mentioned on post 37 of this thread and which did not come with the dust cover) has:
Green endpapers
"Waite's Last Word on the Tarot" (page VII)
Introduction by Gertrude Moakley (page IX)

The copyright page says:
-------------------------------
New Material COPYRIGHT 1959
by University Books, Inc.

PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
-------------------------------

After the Bibliography there is a kind of catalog named:
Library of the mystic Arts
A library of ancient and modern classics

It contains 42 titles with short descriptions and prices and it goes from page 345 to page 359.

@cerulean
Do I understand it right and the publisher's preface you mention is on the front and back flap of the book?

Cerulean

Hello Coredil

Publisher's Preface
The text that I typed with "beginning" and "end" is in the 1959 book right on page VII after the Table of Contents.

Thanks for the input.

Cerulean

coredil

Cerulean said:
Publisher's Preface
The text that I typed with "beginning" and "end" is in the 1959 book right on page VII after the Table of Contents.

Thanks for the input.

Cerulean
OK thanks for your answer.
Then there are indeed at least two color plates editions ;)