University Books editions from 19XX to 19XX

fyreflye

I see that University Books spelled Pamela Col[e]man Smith's name wrong on the box even though it's spelled correctly on the insert cards. Does that makes the deck worth $193?;)

Teheuti

Lillie said:
Check out the islands in the 2 of swords...

Here are the University Books/Maroon Box (UB) and "Pam A" versions of the 2 of Swords.

Attachments

• UB-2Sw001.jpg
    UB-2Sw001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 295
  • PamA-sw02.jpg
    PamA-sw02.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 304

Teheuti

Here's the latest from the seller:

"Hi There!, OK, I have added to the listing the oldest copy of the Uni. Bks. I own, copyright DATE 1959, I have been told there is a 1957 issue of this book (maybe UK as well) that lacks the color plates & the Gertrude Moakely intro, which were ADDED when the deck & book were a proven financial success. I also have given a date of 1955 for a test market of cards alone, which were brittle like cardboard & smelled bad, book price & deck price is the same in this book (1959) as in deck, 1957 Price would have been the same, & I adsded your picture though I dont know how to answer you question, its not clear to me. So 1957 or 1958 or 1959, its a 50's release, so please people no more, bid or move on, OK? Thanks"

Nothing substantiated - all rumor, and still doesn't get that 1959 is the copyright for the Moakley essay but that the first printing of the book was May 1960 (or so it says in my copy with B&W illustrations).

Anyone have a copy of the University Press PKT without the Moakley essay?

Abrac

Teheuti said:
"so please people no more, bid or move on, OK?"
This pretty much says it all. :laugh:

The crowned one

This is all very interesting to me, thanks everyone!

So maroon box back to 59' and loosely based on Pamela C. Smith's tarot paintings done for Waite. Love it.

Debra

I just got one of the maroon box decks, identical to the one posted by TheCrownedOne (his is in better shape). Two info cards, no zip codes to be seen anywhere, fool on front, high priestess on back.

First two pictures in post #46.

'Tis "complete, authentic" and I wonder what year it's from--how did 1959 get attached to it?

Looks like TCO got his from Lillie. :) I miss that girl.

The crowned one said:
I would like to get this thread going again. Does anyone have anything to add over the last couple of years?

I have two of these decks and will put in a few pictures below.

One box/deck that I have is very much like Lillie's and Cerulean's
University Books inc. New Hyde Park, New York 1104 but the "blank card" has a postal code of 11040 for the 5.00 THE PICTORIAL KEY TO THE TAROT rather then the boxes four digit code. This deck has brilliant. verging on gaudy colours and many cards have colour outside the lines. '60, '62, or '66 ?

This next deck is much more subdued in its colouring and much more precise in the beginning and end of the colours within the lines. I got this one from Lillie. It is a 2 piece maroon hard cardboard box and is a beauty. '59?

fyreflye

Debra said:
I wonder what year it's from--how did 1959 get attached to it?

The University Books first edition of Waite's companion book is ©1959.

Debra

Ah. I was skipping the posts about the book. Thanks, fyrefly!

1959. I was born already.

photokat

I would like to start up this thread again - I now own 3 U-Books RWS and none of them are OK.

One Maroon boxed one - with 2 Ace of Swords, 2 Eight of Pentacles, missing the 7 of Pentacles and the 10 of cups.

The previous owner has bought in in the early 70s, read with it for almost 40 years (please note, this was the ONLY deck he ever owned).

The printing / card stock is my favorite - compared to my cardboard boxed U-Books RWS.

Are there any interested to swap cards , so at least some of us have complete decks?

I tried in the lost and found singles bar, but hell knows if this will lead anywhere ....

Teheuti

fyreflye said:
The University Books first edition of Waite's companion book is ©1959.
Here's the copyright page:
--------
"New Material copyright 1959
by University Books, Inc.
Library of Congress Catalog Number 59-15903
Originally published 1910

First Printing May 1960
Second Printing April 1962
Third Printing January 1966

Printed in the United States of America"
--------

What "new material" is being referred to here? If you look at the end of the Introduction by Gertrude Moakley you'll find the last two lines read:
--------
"New York City
August 31, 1959"
-------
The copyright refers only to the essay by Gertrude Moakley - protecting her essay as original material separate from the text of PKT.

The University Press edition of Pictorial Key to the Tarot was first printed in May 1960 - as stated on the copyright page.

This is not an unusual process when out-of-copyright books are reprinted with newer introductions/commentaries that need their own protection. PKT itself is not being copyrighted by University Books - only reprinted in 1960 with an appended essay from 1959.