Wildwood Tarot

ZKEI

Pictures of the whole package

In case anyone would like to see a package of the Wildwood Tarot, including front & back of the box, I have uploaded some photos on my website (though, not in English, pictures would be fine).
:)

PS.
Apologise if this post is not appropriate, please feel free to delete.

LavenderLibra

You guys suckered me into it, with the wondering of different cards stocks...just placed a first-time order with the Book Depository... :rolleyes:

(It WILL be interesting to do an experiment, and put a deck from both sides of the pond together, for comparison...but, wait, that means, I'd have to order a 2nd from here..... yikes!)

GreenMoonBeam

ZKEI said:
In case anyone would like to see a package of the Wildwood Tarot, including front & back, I have uploaded some photos on my website (though, not in English, pictures would be fine).

PS.

that was good! Am very excited about the deck still.

Thank you :love:

GMB

Daemon Lover

My Wildwood arrived today and, I must say, that card stock feels very nice in the hands!

I retract my initial disappointment upon hearing the size of the deck. The size is just perfect and the details show up really clearly!

Not fond of the art style though. I still think it looks very LoS -in my lowly and ineffectual opinion, that is.

Le Fanu

ZKEI said:
In case anyone would like to see a package of the Wildwood Tarot, including front & back, I have uploaded some photos on my website (though, not in English, pictures would be fine).

PS.
Thank you for that. It was good to get a sense of the set. I so hope mine arrives today...

gregory

Daemon Lover said:
I still think it looks very LoS -in my lowly and ineffectual opinion, that is.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I suspect that mine is partly due to owning almost every LoS deck that ever has been, so I have a more highly developed sense of their infinite variety than is normal }) and find it hard to see anything except the print quality as in any way "generic" to them ! But I am peculiar ! Anyone will tell you this... :D.

Daemon Lover

Peculiarity can be a very misunderstood character trait!

gregory

Daemon Lover said:
Peculiarity can be a very misunderstood character trait!
Yes. Peculiar, that :D

Cat*

Thanks a lot for the animal list, Carla.

Let me add the ones from the Greenwood, so that everyone else can compare, too (if they're interested ;)).
[Card title -- Wildwood animal -- Greenwood animal]

Arrows--
King--kingfisher -- Lynx
Queen--Swan -- Deer
Knight--Hawk -- Hawk
Page--Wren -- Woodpecker

Bows/Wands--
King--Adder -- Adder
Queen-Hare -- Hare
Knight--Fox -- Fox
Page--Stoat -- Stoat

Stones--
King--Wolf -- Horse
Queen--Bear -- Bear
Knight--Horse -- Wolf
Page--Lynx -- Wren

Vessels/Cups--
King--Heron -- Reindeer
Queen--Salmon -- Heron
Knight--Eel -- Salmon
Page--Otter -- Kingfisher

Why on Earth did they delete both Deer and Reindeer? Surely Deer were more central too pre-Celtic life than Eel?

Also, the other changes (switching Kingfisher from Page of Cups to King of Arrows, or Lynx from King of Arrows to Page of Stones, or changing the places of Horse and Wolf) make it nearly impossible for people familiar with the Greenwood animals to adapt to the Wildwood system. I wonder of there is any explanation for these more drastic changes in the companion book?

Carla said:
Cat, which Wildwood cards do you particularly hate? I'm curious.
From the ones I've seen so far, I strongly dislike:
- The Forest Lovers (these two dopey-eyed ones convey neither passion nor wholehearted decision to me)
- Nine of Bows (just plain creepy!)
- Seven of Arrows (what's with the drama queen pose?!)
- Five of Vessels (this is a particularly bad-LoS one, way too tiptoed for me)
- Seven of Stones (okay, this may just be the letdown from the Greenwood - it's one of my favorite cards there and one of my least favorite here)
- Nine of Vessels (silly guru cliché pose)
- Two of Vessels (why does this have to be so obviously gendered?)
- The Mirror (another bad-LoS one, way to sexualized)

There are some more that I don't hate as pictures in and of themselves, but only when I compare them to the Greenwood, most especially the Seer/High Priestess (not sure what she's called in the Wildwood).

It might be a minor detail for some, but I really dislike all the tip-toed and/or artfully (sexily) posed women. Especially compared to the women of the Druidcraft deck. To me, this is where the Wildwood gets most Lo Scarabeo-comic artist-like. Oh, and in the Death (renamed the Journey in the Wildwood) card - it's all a bit too dramatic for my taste. I prefer the slow, earthy feel of the Greenwood or the Druidcraft.

And just because I found this on the BookDepository page for the deck again and it still makes me angry (emphasis mine):
In this eye-catching deck, previously known as "The Greenwood Tarot", Mark Ryan and John Matthews reawaken the classic forest archetypes of the Green Man and Woman, the Archer, the Hooded Man and the Blasted Oak.
No, no, NO! This is FALSE ADVERTISING. The Wildwood is NOT "The Deck Formerly Known As The Greenwood". It's merely a new deck that is based on the same system (as far as I know). There have been major changes to the cards, and we're not just talking different art styles here.

I'm not saying people shouldn't like this deck. But reading these Greenwood references really makes me want to spit. To me, this feels like an attempt to betray the buyers, and have them believe they get a reprint or at least a close redrawing of the Greenwood. And THAT makes me wonder about the integrity of the people who claim to be able to teach us something about spirituality and a respectful attitude towards the Earth and her inhabitants (among which humans surely also count)...

Satori

Right on Cat*.

Apparently, since no one commented on my post, the info wasn't useful. Oh well.

I will get this deck eventually. I mean, since it is in the spirit of "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and since I love reinvention of any kind I'll get the deck.

I do agree with Cat*. It is not The Greenwood, but it is a deck that depicts the greenwood. And as such should be advertised as such.