Heirophant & The Devil

TeeheeDebby

And more interesting replies.

I definitely getdon't you guys can see how they teach and support each other. They do in a weird sort of of way.

closrapexa, what do oyu mean the devil is how we learn from the hierophant like the devil lets you mess up so that you can learn the lesson?

foolMoon, oo so either way it's all or nothing.

Tiggy-cat, yeah. Two sides of the same coin. I dont watch star trek but that's an nice analogy.

Nisaba, oh xD woah that's not the deck I used sorry for the confusion. O.O I use the mythic deck. Sorry for the confusion. I do like how some of the cards in older decks don't have names and things for them.

nisaba

Not a satyr at all, Mr R. The Centaur/Hierophant holding the scroll is a creature of Earth, heavy draughthorse flesh anchored into the earth, living in a hollow in the Earth, surrounded by Earth. It is about ground and reality. And what does the Earth hold? The bones of our ancestors, who founded our traditions. Being a guardian of those traditions is absolutely what the Hierophant is about.

(Notice how in the Mythic, he is in the background of the Two Wands?)

ravenest

Kentaurides

Misreading of my shorthand Ms N. ( / = & )

Check the thread title.

Heirophant / Devil appears in the Mythic as Centaur / Satyr (or King or Lord of the Satyrs)

But thanks for the symbology / mythology lesson/ 'correction' :)

Zephyros

closrapexa, what do oyu mean the devil is how we learn from the hierophant like the devil lets you mess up so that you can learn the lesson?

In a way, yes. The Devil's "bondage" is due to the simple reason that he is tactile, he is touching and tasting and pleasure and also sex. These are great "powers" we humans have, that in Christian tradition are considered degraded and dirty because we are seemingly bound and chained to our physical bodies. But why should they be, as they are in many ways what define us as human beings? The Devil gives us the tools we need in order to interact with our environment, without which we could not feel or desire. This isn't necessarily messing up, it only becomes so when taken to excess. When pleasure is elevated to an art form, it can be just as spiritual and as holy as prayer.

When we do utilize the Devil wisely he is the channel through which the Hierophant teaches and initiates us. That the Hierophant is stodgy and traditional isn't quite exact; it wasn't for nothing that the Pope became the Hierophant. He is the one that teaches us the rules of how the universe works, for better or worse. That one plus one equals two is because of the Hierophant, and it is the beginning of wisdom. Taken together as two sides of one thing, beyond the physical ecstasy one feels is the wisdom of the Hierophant, which can't be taught on its own. It needs mediation, and the Devil is that go between. In other words, when doing a Tarot reading you're interacting with the Devil, but the words and knowledge come from the Hierophant. Even when you mess up by indulging too much in the Devil, the wisdom gained from your mistake is wholly Hierophantic. Respect, admiration and love for a teacher come from the Devil, but the lessons are from the Hierophant.

TeeheeDebby

Ooo. That's kind of a deep why to think about it. Hmm... like ying and yang in a way... can't have one with out the other.