Your Name Cards

rwcarter

With Mary K. Greer's permission, I'm posting this condensed version of info from her book Tarot Constellations, ISBN 0-87877-128-X, published by Newcastle Publishing in 1987 and long OOP.

The letters of the English alphabet can be associated with numbers as follows (the periods are attempts to line up the columns):

A.B.C.D.E.F.G.H.I...J...K..L...M..N..O...P..Q..R...S..T..U...V..W..X..Y...Z

To find your Basic Name Cards, write out your full name on a piece of paper, leaving space between the letters. Write in the associated numbers for the vowels above your name and the associated numbers for the consonants below your name. Add each set of numbers together and then reduce the result if it's above 22. Also add up the unreduced numbers for the vowels and for the consonants and then reduce that number.

For example, if the vowels in your name add up to 38, you would reduce that to 11. If the consonants add up to 145, that would reduce to 10. You would then also add 38+145 to get 183, which reduces to 12.

The reduced number of the sum of the vowels in your name becomes your Desires and Inner Motivations card. The reduced number for the consonants becomes your Outer Persona card. The reduced number of the sum of all the letters in your name becomes your Destiny Card.

You can also spell out your name using the Major Arcana as follows:

A - Magician
B - High Priestess
C - Empress
D - Emperor
E - Hierophant
F - Lovers
G - Chariot
H - Strength
I - Hermit
J - Wheel of Fortune
K - Justice
L - Hanged Man
M - Death
N - Temperance
O - Devil
P - Tower
Q - Star
R - Moon
S - Sun
T - Judgement
U - World
V - Fool
W - Hierophant
X - Lovers
Y - Chariot
Z - Strength

So, John Doe would have The Wheel of Fortune, the Devil, Strength, Temperance, the Emperor, the Devil and the Hierophant spell out his name.

rwcarter

For the Musically Inclined

You can also come up with your Personal Rhythm and Musical Correspondences for your name.

To find your Personal Rhythm, Mary suggests that you let your left hand beat the consonants in your name and your right beat the vowels.

The Musical Correspondences are as follows:

A - E
B - G#
C - F#
D - C
E - C#
F - D
G - D#
H - E
I - F
J - A#
K - F#
L - G#
M - G
N - G#
O - A
P - C
Q - A#
R - B
S - D
T - C
U - A
V - E
W - C#
X - D
Y - D#
Z - E

I'm not musically inclined, but have an ex-roommate who's a musician and he created a .wav file that is the musical correspondence of my name. He did it in two different tempos. I found it rather pleasing.

t.town.troy

Interesting. I'll give this a try. They used to have that book at my local library, but a lot of the tarot books that they had have vanished.
Thank you, rwcarter.

rwcarter

First Name, Middle Name and Last Name Cards + Theme Chord

Add up the numerical equivalents of the letters in your First Name. Reduce any total that is greater than 23 until you have a number between 1 and 22. This is your First Name Card.

Repeat the process to find your Middle Name Card and your Last Name Card.

The three cards together form a Theme Chord for your life as follows:

First Name Card = Conscious Self
Middle Name Card = Hidden Self
Last Name Card = Social Self

rwcarter

Destiny Cards

Depending on how one adds up the letters of their name, they can come up with different numbers. Collectively, these numbers are called Destiny Cards.

Theme Note Card
Add up the reduced sums of your First Name, Middle Name and Last Name cards and reduce to a number between 1 and 22. The number you come up with has a Musical Correspondence associated with the letter of the alphabet (A=1, M=12, Z=26, etc.)

Rhythm Card
Add the Desires & Inner Motivations Card together with the Outer Persona Card and reduce to a number between 1 and 22.

Melody Card
In the first post, this was called your Destiny Card. It's the sum of all the letters of your name reduced to a number between 1 and 22.

Hidden Factor Name Card
You'll need to understand the Tarot Constellations to understand this card. The three cards above all belong to the same constellation and may or may not be the same number. If one (or more) of the numbers in your constellation don't appear as one of the above three cards, then the card(s) that correspond(s) to that/those number(s) is your Hidden Factor Name Card(s).

GoddessArtemis

Thanks for posting this. Fun!

Question: Is this our given name at birth or our current name?

I'll go with the name I've lived with for many years, not my birth name:

First Name = Tower, Hierophant, Temperance, Temperance, Chariot (shouldn't be so hard to figure out my name, if you wanted to...:laugh:)
Middle Name = Emperor, Devil, Moon, Hermit, Magician, Temperance
Last Name = Death, Magician, Moon, Empress, Strength

Wowza! So what are we to make of these cards for each part of our name(s)? :confused:

I'm not even going to touch the musical notes. :D

First Name = 11 (Conscious Self) - Justice
Middle Name = 6 (Hidden Self) - Lovers
Last Name = 7 (Social Self) - Chariot

Theme Note Card = 6 = F
Rhythm Card = ?? :confused:
Melody Card = 6 = F (What's the difference between how one comes up with this and the Theme Note Card? Seems same to me...)

I'll skip Hidden Factor.

So what does all this say now? How do we read all this?

GA

nisaba

rwcarter said:
I'm not musically inclined, but have an ex-roommate who's a musician and he created a .wav file that is the musical correspondence of my name. He did it in two different tempos. I found it rather pleasing.
The only way I can remember phone numbers is as a musical phrase based on numbers!

Works great with Australian landlines: they have a rhythm and musicality to them that is pleasing and often sounds just like their owners. Mobile phones are chaotic and unmusical, and you know, I cannot remember *any* mobile numbers!

I've been remembering phone numbers like that since I was a small kid in the 1960s, long before I was ever allowed to use a phone.

rwcarter

GoddessArtemis said:
Question: Is this our given name at birth or our current name?

I'll go with the name I've lived with for many years, not my birth name:
The book addresses this question. It's especially relevant for women who've married and taken their husband's name. I think the name you go by is the most relevant for you.

GoddessArtemis said:
Wowza! So what are we to make of these cards for each part of our name(s)? :confused:
The energies of those cards are relevant to your life. Are they harmonious? Are they jarring?

GoddessArtemis said:
Rhythm Card = ?? :confused:
To find your Rhythm card, you need to add together the numbers for the vowels in your name and reduce that. Then add together the numbers for the consonants in your name and reduce that. Then add those two numbers together and reduce if over 22. That number should either be 6 or 15.

GoddessArtemis said:
Melody Card = 6 = F (What's the difference between how one comes up with this and the Theme Note Card? Seems same to me...)
The result may end up being the same, but the method is different. For the Theme Note, you add up the letters of your first name, reduce it, add up the letters of your middle name, reduce it, add up the letters of your last name, reduce it and then add up the three reduced numbers and further reduce if necessary. For the Melody Card, you add up all the letters in your full name and reduce until you get a number less than 23. By the other numbers you've listed, both cards will be either 6 or 15.

GoddessArtemis said:
So what does all this say now? How do we read all this?
I'll go into some detail about that in a post to come. I want to get all the methods for determining the cards listed first. So hold that thought. :)

Rodney

yirabeth

So I did the number steps, using my name since my divorce (in which only my first name remains unchanged...) --

Desires and Inner Motivations - 9 - Hermit
Outer Persona - 12 - Hanged Man
Destiny - 10 - Wheel of Fortune

First name - Conscious Self - 9 - Hermit
Middle Name - Hidden Self - 12 - Hanged Man
Last Name - Social Self - Moon

How do I apply these? Does it make a difference that both the Hermit and the Hanged Man show up twice?

This is interesting in that my birth surname became my middle name -- and that would make both social self and outer persona the same. But the way it is, it's outer persona and hidden self now. Not sure how this may affect things.

(as a clarifier, I dropped my middle name, put my maiden name as middle name, and assumed my stepfather's surname as mine)

Perhaps I should get this book...(added to a rather lengthy list...)

~Yira

GoddessArtemis

rwcarter said:
I'll go into some detail about that in a post to come. I want to get all the methods for determining the cards listed first. So hold that thought. :)

Rodney
Thanks, Rodney. I'll look out for the updated posts. :)

GA