Balbi Tarot appreciation thread

ilweran

Popped up to Hay-on-Wye yesterday and the Balbi Tarot I saw last time was still there so it was obviously destined to be mine :D It looks quite old but not very used, smells of patchouli incense and has a folded up leaflet with the card meanings on.

I don't usually like things quite so brightly coloured but there is something very appealing about this deck. It might take me a while to get round to using it unfortunately as I'm still making up for lost time with RWS-style decks after a long break from reading so I'm not sure now is the time to try out the idea of swords=water and cups=air and learning a whole new system, but it is very tempting!

Anyhoo, I've searched the forum for info on it and not found much except that a few people like it and think it's under appreciated - so lets appreciate it here :D

Alta

This was the deck that Umbrae recommended for me in his thread in Talking Tarot. I somehow managed to get two copies, and sold one to Moonbow* (for all of $15, the seller was unloading a huge lot of cards). Umbrae commented that this deck has been re-printed a few times and it is better to get the older editions as they are better made. I wound up with two different editions but I never opened the one I sent to Moonbow* as it was still in glossy wrap. Mine looks good though.

I find it attractive and it seems like one of those decks that bridge between the Marseilles decks and RWS et al. The pips are non-scenic but illustrated, and the art and colours sort of blocky, but appealing. The pips are not arranged exactly like the Marseilles decks but I find the arrangement of the suit symbols to be meaningful and fairly easy to read.

The majors seem like something between Marseilles (some cards more than others) and RWS. Again, I like the slightly blocky, unshaded look of the art. It's a nice deck and not a bad place to start reading non-scenic minors.
It is quite appealing and I think there are loads of copies around, so like ilweran I fnd myself somewhat surprised that it isn't more popular.

Alta

firefrost

It looks a lovely deck - it'll be interesting to see how much it goes for.

Umbrae

ilweran said:
Popped up to Hay-on-Wye yesterday and the Balbi Tarot I saw last time was still there so it was obviously destined to be mine :D It looks quite old but not very used, smells of patchouli incense and has a folded up leaflet with the card meanings on.
Wait a second...I got MY Balbi in Hay-on-Wye!

Twas a lovely outing with Kiama (bought her a Vandenborre Bacchus at the same store).

I love the Balbi, and think it's highly overlooked. As a reading deck it really rocks (once you allow it to).

ilweran

Alta said:
ETA: this is the version I have. I cannot recall exactly what the other one looked like, except that it was different.

That looks like mine, except I only have the English leaflet.

I agree with what you say about the pips. The only non-scenic deck I've used is the Celtic Tarot by Courtney Davis, which I loved and had some excellent readings from. The Balbi also looks very readable so I'll have to keep it somewhere accessible for when I've got a bit farther with the decks I'm currently working with.

Umbrae said:
Wait a second...I got MY Balbi in Hay-on-Wye!

Maybe someone there has a secret stash of them?

I was so pleased it was still there. I wasn't that keen on it when I saw it there in March, but only had a very quick look and was more interested in the Fantasy Showcase Tarot. After trying to find out a bit more the Balbi I was intrigued but sure it would be gone. I thought it had! But they'd rearranged the store a bit and it was down at floor level with a pile of books in front of it waiting for me to rescue it :D

Le Fanu

Mixed feelings about the Balbi. I know its very much a loved deck, with its own special following, but wonder whether its Out-of-Print-ness is part of the attraction.

I had an original copy which I bought very early 80s and I remember buying it because I went into a store, was on a bit of a tarot roll, and the Balbi was the cheapest tarot there was. I kind of feel that this shows in the illustrations.

However, I subsequently mislaid this deck along with half a dozen others and although I have since bought other decks which I love more, it´s probably - of all the "lost" decks - the one that most niggles to be re-bought...

Ive also found out where it´s possible to get another copy. Might well follow it up. Is it rare? Should I pay much for it?

Sphinxmoth

I, at least, have highly overlooked this deck. I like the looks of this one very much, and have put it on a long-range list. It's on the list all by itself LOL.
O wait, no, there is one other on the list..

Will have to wait to start seeking it later on this fall, but I will get a copy eventually. I like print-like art, unshaded, people call it. Love the Spanish titles.

Don't know if I can swing a trip to Hay-on-Wye for it, tho. ;)

I would like to totally appreciate this deck from closer quarters.

SolSionnach

I :heart: the Balbi greatly, Le Fanu, I don't find it cheap at all, perhaps the low price was due to the exchange rate, since that was well before the euro, and the $$ was strong. I acquired 2 copies, but in my recent long-term deck purge I sold one of them. I can't imagine getting rid of the other one, ever. I have the same edition as that ebay auction as well.

I think it's a really playful deck - the bright colors are very happy - but I don't read pips well at all. And those elemental attributions *are* wacko. lol

I love the faces on all the courts and majors. There's something very patient, kind, and intriguing in the expressions.

Sulis

Ooh I want one :)