Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

lawguy51 
Citizen

Yet another tedious Reversals question!

Still experimenting with Reversals. So, those of you who use them, when you are laying out, say, a CC spread, do you allow the first card to be reversed. I've read plenty on the crossing card where it is stated that it should be read upright no matter how it comes up. But I do recall in my very first Tarot book that came with the IJJ Swiss deck, wherein it said that if the first card comes up reversed, to turn it back around and flip the remaining cards top to bottom, which has the same effect as turning the deck around. Myself, I'm for having that first card upright so I've been turning the deck around if it comes up reversed. Also, with decks like the Haindl, I can tell from the back whether a card is reversed or not so that, if I do my last cut and see that the first card to be flipped will be reversed, I just turn the deck around. Just curious what the rest of you do.

Lawguy51

Old 24-01-2003 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
bec 
Citizen

my first lesson in the CC, which holds 13 cards and not the usual 10, is that card 3 is showing hinderance, and therefore always should be read as reversed. where as card 4 is a "golden opportunity card - if only just" and that one should always be read as upright.

but I call it humbug - ignorance and nonsense !!

and that goes for all rules in those books.

oh yea I very much do use reversals, and I use them as they show. if they come first, last, all or just some, I read them the way they hit the table.

Not all that crap about rules, who needs them in tarot anyway.

I've read plenty on the crossing card where it is stated that it should be read upright no matter how it comes up. But I do recall in my very first Tarot book that came with the IJJ Swiss deck, wherein it said that if the first card comes up reversed, to turn it back around and flip the remaining cards top to bottom, which has the same effect as turning the deck around.

Are we reading tarot or solving some great philosophical riddle here ??

Do what feels right, as always, if the books confuses you or make you see red as they do for me, toss them, make up your own routine. It kicks in when you no longer are looking for a rule to cling to.

happy reversal journey

Old 24-01-2003 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
HOLMES 
CLARIFIER OF LIGHT

hmm

you know the only card i ever upright is the card that is the opposing or helping influence, the one that crosses the heart
i dont like looking sideways so i said hell with it , eheh .

i mean if even though i lay down sideways i dont' associate point right upright , pointing left reversed,

*then wonders if he should.. **shurgs** guess not* eheh

Old 24-01-2003 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Tarotphelia 
Citizen

They fall as they fall- & that's all. That's the whole point. I am not telling the oracle what to say, it is telling me what it wants to say. Scary, isn't it?

Tarotphelia

Last edited by Tarotphelia; 24-01-2003 at 09:47.
Tarotphelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2003 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Alex 
Resident allien

I guess

whatever you do you should be consistent.

Or try to be consistent, rather than choosing how you're gonna read it after the fact.

Alex.

Old 24-01-2003 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
cris_drg 
Resident

Question how to interpret the crossing card

I need an example, please.

the crossing card (in the celtic cross, for instance) is something that hinders/opposes the issue - if I got it correctly.

let's take 'temperance' as the crossing card

up straight - its meaning is that <being patient will be a problem>
reversed - <impulsivity will be an obstacle>.

the death card:
straight: ending and parting with the old is not a good idea
reversed - the inability to accept the end will bring difficulty.

right?
cris_drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

I use the crossing card as 'opposing influences'. The crossing card can certainly be any card, it represents the forces moving at cross-currents to the situation.

I also always consider it to be upright, but will take all meanings associated, negative and positive, into account as I look at the cards putting them together.

Marion
Alta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
cris_drg 
Resident

plz clarify

of course it can be any card, but

what i'm saying is that in the spread,
a position hold a positive or a negative interpretation.

on top if which comes the positive/negative interpretation of the card.

I'm asking how do you put the two of them together: a 'good' card in an obstacle position - does it mean no obstacles? an already 'blocked-energy' card (a reversed one) in an obstacle position: how do u interpret it?
cris_drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Tara2007 
Citizen

I do use reversals. In fact, I just had a lady do a CC for me, and the first card was reversed. She has never changed that, and I don't either when doing them myself. I don't however, consider the 2nd card as being reversed. I think of that as being the foundation of the 1st card and only read it upright. This reader I mentioned, does however use reversals for tne 2nd card and it's usually meaningful.

To me the fact that card 2 is laying across makes sense that it should only be read upright. I suppose that this another time when tarot speaks to us all individually.

Old 14-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Tara2007 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_drg
of course it can be any card, but

what i'm saying is that in the spread,
a position hold a positive or a negative interpretation.

on top if which comes the positive/negative interpretation of the card.

I'm asking how do you put the two of them together: a 'good' card in an obstacle position - does it mean no obstacles? an already 'blocked-energy' card (a reversed one) in an obstacle position: how do u interpret it?
I"d like to reply here. A so-called good card in an obstacle usually means that all that glitters is not gold. What may seem like a help to you is in fact hindering progress somehow. I usually interpret court cards in this case to mean that an actual person may be holding you back or blocking your way, even stabbing you in the back depending. But if it's an obstacle it's not going to be good, not even if it's a great card like The Sun or The Star.

Old 14-07-2006 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today