This is an old post, I believe from Solandia if memory serves me correctly. But I thought it was a very worthy one to bring back up as it is such a popular spread.
This is the spread I use the most. However, I am aware that I read it differently than a lot of people. Here is my interpetation.
- - - - - - 3 - - - - - - - - 10
- - 6 - - - 1/2 - - -5 - - - 9
- - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - 8
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7
1. Could be the querant, overall guestion, issue
2. Atmosphere of the question, others involved with the querant, deeper part of the question
3. Issue, conscious, querant is aware of these aspects
4. Issue, subconscious, querant may not be aware of the underlying issues here
5. recent past aspects of the issue, events, although I don't always have others come up in spreads, more of my reading is focused on the querant themselves, this is the position that I will at times have the impression of another person that is influencing the querant.
6. near future regarding the issues or other events
7. "Flavor" regarding the issue, further nuances
8. What others think about what is happening to the querant (very telling as we often are not as aware of what is right there in front of us as our friends are.
9. hopes and fears card
10. final outcome
I have to admit that at times I will change as I look at the cards as to what the positions mean. They tell a story and sometimes the "chapters" don't describe the meanings well so the positon meanings may deter some, but not usually too far.
I also tend to take a more psychological view of throws (likely due to my profession) and what issues psychologically the querant is dealing with. I also read with an eye to karmic lessons. The other postion that I will at times have another person enter the spread is at the 4 position. If so, this will indicate itself to me to represent someone who is impacting the querant in regards to the issues that they are not aware of.
Others? How do you read the celtic cross?