Archetypes Storytelling Cards

Lee

I don't have this deck. I thought it looked interesting, but I simply could not bring myself to order it, because of one card: "The Roach," in which a giant cockroach joins a group of people at the dining table. Ewww.

-- Lee :)

Kyrea Gold

buyer beware

i tried to order this deck quite some time ago (probably a couple of years ago) never received it. i did email wicce because i foudn the deck no her review site and she wrote back and told me that this had happened to numerous people and she said she has something about this on her website although i never could find it.

i contacted the company who does the secure ordering (never could get a reply from the archetypes people) and they did refund my credit card.

kyrea

Darla

Kyrea, thanks for the warning! It's a shame but I don't want them so bad that I'm willing to take the risk.

JanetBoyer

Hello,

I own this deck and enjoy it very much. I used it exclusively before I bought my other 2 archetype decks. I didn't have any problems with my transaction when I ordered my cards and received them just fine.

The explanations for the cards, however, are on printed paper. No booklet or anything.

Blessings,
Janet

Khatruman

Re: buyer beware

Kyrea Gold said:
i tried to order this deck quite some time ago (probably a couple of years ago) never received it.
I had a similar experience with this deck, but I was able to track down the creator, who told me that they had moved their offices and the order was lost in the shuffle. So he sent me two copies of the deck.

I haven't used it for divination purposes, but for creative purposes. It has a system for generating stories and character traits that is great. I think my problem with it as a divination tool is that it duplicates traits in certain cards. Umm, I don't have them with me now, but there is a moon symbol for each card and the suits have certain numbers designated to them. However, you may have two separate cards which are Water cards and are 5s... therefore there are two 5 of Waters.

In any case, the artwork here is wonderful, and there are some interesting archetypes in there.

PS... I just clicked on Lon Koenig's website for the Archetype cards, with online readings, and I noticed that two of the storytelling features are "still under construction"...which was true when I bought the cards over four years ago. I don't think he has done much more work on the cards, so it might not be wise to look for them.

SherryZoned

I really like the looks of these cards.

I find the roach interesting if not very appealing.

Khatruman could you explain what you mean by duplicating traits in certain cards?

Like is one card deemed nice and 6 others are the same way?

JanetBoyer

The entire deck can be found here: http://thecards.com/fullpage/index.html

I don't understand what is meant by "repeated", since there are 4 different elements, different moon stages, etc. No card is remotely the same, IMO. (Unlike the Myss Archetype deck which is repetitive.)

Blessings,
Janet

Lee

From looking at the website, it looks like the moon phases are used as categories as well as elements. So you have the Guide, which is 4 of Air (Waxing Gibbous), and then you have Beauty, which is 4 of Air (Waning Gibbous).

-- Lee

Khatruman

RedWood said:
Khatruman could you explain what you mean by duplicating traits in certain cards?
Ohh, wow. In looking at the deck online, I see there is something missing. The cards that I bought have numerological icons at the bottom of each card, where the name of the card is. Look at the bottom and you will see there is a landscape to let you know which suit each belongs to: air, earth, fire, or water. In the blank space below the name of the card, there used to be a number of icons, anywhere from 1 to 10 on each card.

The repetition occured in that you may have two cards with the same suit (ex: Fire), plus the same number of icons (ex: four), which would make both cards the four of fire. In addition, these cards seemed to also have the same moon designation (ex: half moon). To a tarotist, this would seem duplication.

When I wrote to Lon Koenig, he seemed to indicate that the cards were designed mainly for role-playing games and not for divination.